M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The June issue of Motorcycle Consumer News has a good review of the M109R. I am taking the liberty of putting some of the comments from the article here without their permission and I am not attempting to reproduce the article written by Walt Fulton. If you want the article in whole then buy a copy. Here are some high and low lites"

1.) Dyno and 1/4 mile runs had problems with top speed cut outs. Might be electrical fault issue perhaps with the sidestand interlock as Suzuki says there is no limiter on this bike.

2.) Abrupt response at small throttle openings may be due to shape of throttle pulley or fuel mapping (they had noted similar issues on other bikes and when the pulley shape was changed the issues went away).

3.) Braking 60-0 saw frequent front tire lock ups, sensitivity to tar snakes in roadways (very bad in wet conditions and when cornering), stopping on some test runs over 140 ft.

4.) odd-shaped nacelle was an advantage in the rain and deflects/limited wind to riders advantage.

Test notes

PICKS

A new high in V-Twin cruiser performance
Visually distinctive hybrid sportbike/cruiser
Satisfying exhaust note

PANS

Limited cornering clearances
Stretched out riding position welcomes simian arms
lots of plated plastic

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
HalGreenlee said:
SEEMS THEY MAY HAVE BEEN MIS-INFORMED ABOUT THE REV LIMITER.
If they didn't like the ground clearance of the 109 they would have hated any other cruiser out there. I found that it took me awhile to find the pegs at Deals Gap because I was use to hitting way before on my other bikes. Oh well. ::)

·
Registered
74 Posts
I CAN HIT REV LIMITER IN ALL GEARS EXCEPT 5TH. ANYWAY I CALL IT A REV LIMITER, THE ONE IN 5TH FEELS LIKE A TOP SPEED LIMITER, NOT SURE.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I noticed the same cutting out phenomenon when banging off full throttle upshifts right at the limiter, if I used the clutch I wouldnt really feel it but clutchless it felt like a fuel shut off, we've had to defeat these kind of electronic gremlins before in the hayabusa so I'm not worried.
I knew when I read the specs on this motor that suzuki would give us plenty of little electronic nannys so we dont hurt ourselves with it, but I've already seen the light at the end of the tunnel.
I honestly believe we will see 140hp and 130ftlb at the wheels from this motor without ever popping a valvecover.

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
OMEGA said:
I noticed the same cutting out phenomenon when banging off full throttle upshifts right at the limiter, if I used the clutch I wouldnt really feel it but clutchless it felt like a fuel shut off, we've had to defeat these kind of electronic gremlins before in the hayabusa so I'm not worried.
I knew when I read the specs on this motor that suzuki would give us plenty of little electronic nannys so we dont hurt ourselves with it, but I've already seen the light at the end of the tunnel.
I honestly believe we will see 140hp and 130ftlb at the wheels from this motor without ever popping a valvecover.
:bigthumbsup: :yikes: :hot: :beer3: :beer2: :a18: :2cool: :#1: :clap2:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
i'm glad the rev limiter is there, and i'm not really worried about the top speed limiter. i don't need to be goin over 140 on a bike with no fairings, no windshield, and a half skid lid.

but yeah, i'd like to read the whole article. the snippets come off a bit harsh. although, they are true...there is a lotta plated plastic on this thing.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm hoping that Suzuki gives us some accessory choices, pieces that are aluminum or chrome upgrades for plastic parts. If this bike ends up being everything we hope it to be, it would be nice to up dress it in the future.

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
I still don't get all these reviewers talking about clearance issues. I had mine for almost a month before I ever got a peg to drag. It's way better than I expected it to be and I used to ride sport bikes so I'm not worried about leaning it over. My buddy's VTX drags all the time!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have touched pegs down in just a short time of ownership. But mainly cause I'm a ex sportbike rider and like to lean. I was kinda let down to find out some of that chrome was fake plastic crap. I'm sure it was to keep cost down.

·
Registered
817 Posts
slickdj96 said:
I have touched pegs down in just a short time of ownership. But mainly cause I'm a ex sportbike rider and like to lean. I was kinda let down to find out some of that chrome was fake plastic crap. I'm sure it was to keep cost down.
Okay... as an ex-sportbiker, I'd think you'd be quite used to plastic parts. What is it with everyone dissing the bike because of plastic? Would you rather the thing weight 100 pounds more than it does?

·
Registered
209 Posts
If weight was a issue they would have made the frame out of aluminum. As for being used to plastic. On a sport bike I expect plastic. On a $12k cruiser I expect metal body panels not cheap plastic knock offs. I guess I look at it like this. For $12k I can buy any top of the line sportbike with top tier technology. I shouldn't get fake chrome plastic on a metric cruiser in this price range. Dont get me wrong I love my bike, just let down about the plastic.

·
Registered
817 Posts
slickdj96 said:
If weight was a issue they would have made the frame out of aluminum. As for being used to plastic. On a sport bike I expect plastic. On a $12k cruiser I expect metal body panels not cheap plastic knock offs. I guess I look at it like this. For $12k I can buy any top of the line sportbike with top tier technology. I shouldn't get fake chrome plastic on a metric cruiser in this price range. Dont get me wrong I love my bike, just let down about the plastic.
I think weight is/was definitely an issue. However, I will agree with you that the frame should have been aluminum.

And while $12K will be a hell of a lot of sportbike, $12K is NOT a lot of money for a cruiser. ::) For a bike of this displacement, $12K is on the WAY LOW end. You could have spent an extra $3K for a VTX, or an extra $4K for a Stratoliner, and still ended up with helluva lot of plastic.

·
Registered
209 Posts
That is true. I dont mind the painted plastic body pannels. I jsut dont like the plastic chrome dont by the tranny.

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
slickdj96 said:
That is true. I dont mind the painted plastic body pannels. I jsut dont like the plastic chrome dont by the tranny.
I got a quote to chrome two plastic side covers on a VTX and it was $320 a piece. :yikes: So when you can find a "cheap" plastic chromer let me know. ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts