M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
****UPDATED*****New Arnott is "nott" so good******UPDATED********

So I was incredibly excited about getting and installing my air ride, in fact except for chrome rims and tires I have never been this excited about a mod! Here's my story sad but true..........

Harris (Bigpapa109) and I installed the air ride last Saturday, it took us a lot longer than it should of because we had to put my bones back to stock and move some electronics (PC 3 & Backoff Module) but we were in no hurry so we just took our sweet time. After hours of work and problem solving it's the moment I have been waiting for, time to air up the system! I was like a kid waking up Christmas morning so excited to see what was next. We hit the switch and after a moment the ass end slowly starts raising up then we get to the top and slowly let the air out (at this point I should say that when the bike was dropped all the way down and that 280 was tucked up in the wheel well I was a happy camper, it looked sick)! We raised it up again to max height to spray the lines and check for leaks, no spray necessary......psssssssssssssssssst something has sprung a major leak! It turns out there was a hairline crack in the manifold (no it was not due to over tightening) which was releasing all my precious air as fast I as could put it in. We took it back off and I waited until Monday and called Arnott, nice enough people and good customer service they mailed a new one out that day for me. The manifold took 4 days so that night back to business.....

We installed the new manifold, checked for leaks, drilled a hole for the switch, cleaned up the wires and put the 9 back together all is well at this point. Off the lift now and time to see how she feels and if we need to adjust the dampening on the shock at all. I sit on the bike and it drops down, way down, it has way to much travel and is to soft and spongy. We try to turn the adjustment knob and it won't budge, we try for several minutes and finally get it to turn with the help of some pliers. Several clicks in one direction and nothing, several clicks in the other direction and nothing. We at this point go all the way up the dial to the firmest setting possible and still the same, NOTHING! Not sure what to do at this point we call it a night and I will call Arnott first thing in the morning to see if there is something we are doing wrong, maybe the system has to be purged or aired up or something we're not thinking of? The phone call.....

Arnott opens at 8:30 Eastern time, they finally turn off the message system and answer the phone at 8:50. I speak to Cory who sounds like he would rather be anywhere than on this phone with me (Harris called later and had the same reaction). I explain the situation to him in detail and he says "just send it back". I ask him for some possible problem solving ideas first before going through all that trouble and he said send it back I have to look at it but it sounds like a bad shock. A bad shock?! Are you kidding me?! I just had a bad manifold now a bad shock, other than a compressor that's pretty much a bad everything in the kit! Frustrated and not wanting to argue I ask if they are going to send me a return label for shipping and he said no I have to pay for that. I asked him if he thought that was fair after spending $750 and having not one but two of their parts defective from the factory that I should have to pay for shipping? He said it's not a big deal it will only cost like six bucks, I explained to him that the money was not the point but mere principal! It doesn't matter if it's six cents instead of six dollars the point is it shouldn't cost me anything to fix their mistake on a brand new system that was installed correctly! He said to send it back and he gave me an RM number but would not pay for the shipping.

So that's my story so far, the shock is going back Monday and not "six dollar" shipping but Fed ex overnight so I can find out on Tuesday what the deal is. I will keep you posted on the status of my Arnott drama as more is revealed.......On a good note though Harris came back over last night (third time in a week that man is a Saint) and we installed my stock bones and shock so I can ride with the crew today! I'm so excited to get back out there, it has been like 3 months! Sorry to be so long winded.......Giddy

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
i installed mine yesterday and it took me quite some time but i had no help. i have to put my stock bones back on. stock bones is a must with the arnott system!!

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
Sorry to hear Mike.... Sucks, but you do get to ride today...;)

Bee careful out there today you guys!

Will be looking to see how it goes for you Giddy...

Keep us posted, and Giddy UP!

:bigthumbsup:

Is it June yet? ;)

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
That's really typical of the average business today....they'll "fix it" but not at any more of their expense then necessary. That's a sad tale Giddy but life is never fair...it just is what it is.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Ok, that kind of stuff drives me INSANE!!!! I would want to KILL SOMEBODY if I wasted that much time on an install and got treated like that.

There's an old business saying that's always stuck with me and it's one I firmly believe in "Stop worrying about picking up pennies off the ground when doller bills are going over your head!". More businesses loose customers on "small" things like paying for shipping on defective product, poor customer service attitude, and just generally having no common sense and forgeting to treat customers how they would want to be treated.

In my business if I got to spent $200, $500, $750...or whatever to maintain a good relationship with my customers on a issue where clearly my company made a mistake we do it without hesitation. It's the best advertising you could ever do. But it works negatively the other way as well.

Sorry dude. That's super frustrating.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Sorry to hear about all your troubles so far - I've had my Arnott system now 4 about a 1 1/2 years now with no problems - hopefully they will get you fixed up in no time but do agree with you that there should be no addition cost to you for shipping or whatever. Good luck Giddy.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I'll make you a killer deal on my old Kewl metal air ride if you want!~ Gregg

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
Damn Giddy, sorry to hear that.... I had a completely oppisite experience with Arnott when i had my troubles a year ago.... First i had a defective check valve so they mailed me out a new one without question... The second time, my shock lost all dampening ability like yours did within the first 80 miles.... I called them up and once again they shipped me out a new shock immediately with a return label for my bad shock....Both times i delt with Cory and he was a great guy to deal with and he rides a 9 as well... sounds like every company lately is going in the crapper and cutting corners..Not good

·
Radio Active Member
27,687 Posts
There's an old business saying that's always stuck with me and it's one I firmly believe in "Stop worrying about picking up pennies off the ground when doller bills are going over your head!". More businesses loose customers on "small" things like paying for shipping on defective product, poor customer service attitude, and just generally having no common sense and forgeting to treat customers how they would want to be treated.

In my business if I got to spent $200, $500, $750...or whatever to maintain a good relationship with my customers on a issue where clearly my company made a mistake we do it without hesitation. It's the best advertising you could ever do. But it works negatively the other way as well.

Sorry dude. That's super frustrating.
:agree::agree: well said. Enjoy your ride today Giddy. Wish I could join you but the in law is coming into town this afternoon.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
wow giddy sorry to hear about your recent troubles with the air ride. that certainly kills the anticipation that you had for testing that thing out i am sure. i hope you get it all resolved and are up and running and happy very soon. sounds like you and bigpapa have been busy. enjoy the ride if you and the crew get to go out this weekend.
keep us posted. and again, i hope it all works out for you.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Welcome to the world of customizing! I have the Arnott system and I had trouble with it holding air. Keeps leaking down, thier check valves suck that comes off the compressor. Called them with the problem and they sent a inline valve, so now I have two check valves. Worked great untill one day it started leaking down again. After a while one stands back and goes :dontknow: :redfaced:. The funny thing is it stopped leaking so I guess Ill live with it. Another thing is the Arnott system is made for a stock bike. That means a stock 240 tire and stock bones. If you put a 250 or taller tire on and you let it all the way down it will rub on the nuts under the fender. They will change the bump stop within the shock if you like. Over all the system works great and it does have a lifetime warrenty. The ride is great so have fun and ride safe.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the arnott in my bike and we got another kit for a mate of mine... installed mint etc but when we lifted it up within about 10 minutes it was dropped again as there is an internal leak from the shock shaft..

So i phoned them ( im in New Zealand ) so they said send it back and we'll have a look at it, we've never had a bad shock they say.. yeh right!!

But it costs a fortune to send it back from here, then it takes ages to get back me, all at my expense which is bull****.

so yeh, theres my rant.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Even though Arnott is supposedly the "better" system when compared to Kewl Metal, that one experience would make me rethink my choice in companies. I would have told Arnott to stick it when they said they wouldn't pay for shipping on a clearly defective part. That is why companies like DLP (no questions asked for a forgotten part) and tires.com (wrong size, UPS was there the next day to pick up and exchange) will continue to get my business. Something about poor attitudes with customer service just chaps my ass from forgetting items in the drive through to calling in with a problem. What ever happened to people taking pride in their jobs. I will continue to frequent the companies that take care of me and the people I know and talk to. But as for the others they can stick it where the sun don't shine! Just my 2 cents........

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Sorry to hear your troubles with a air suspension but like someone said "Welcome to the world of customizing"!!!:bigthumbsup: it goes with the territory...with shipping or not , most important here is that they giving you full support replaced a item already and are going to replace a second item too, sure we would like for that to never have happened in the first place but hey one really want that cool air suspension!!8)

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
i have had the same issues with my system and havent even received my new block yet and will not get it till next week!! and when i had it aired up the shock it did feel very spongy like giddy noticed as well. mine adjusted easily but the sponginess didnt change. but i will not know till i get my fender and everything back from paint.

so i guess that i will keep yopu posted as well on my experiences with them as well.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Talk about dramas! i sold my Arnotts last week and the guy installed it and when he wants to drop it down a bit the whole lot drops to the ground.

atleats the supplier is sending him another part, (distribution manifold)

doesnt have to send stuff back.:bigthumbsup:

could imagine the F word being used abit that moring on install. Right Gazza?

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,033 Posts
Giddy, I'm sorry to hear that bro. I know how I felt when waiting to get my Kewl Metal air ride on, I couldn't wait to see how it worked. Mechanically it worked fine, but I just got tired of fiddling with it and went back to my lowering bones that I can just get on and ride. It's cool being able to slam them, but I ride more than I leave it slammed somewhere.

I did sit on another bike that had the Arnott on it, and if I recall they either had to inflate the shock all the way up, or lower it all the way down to be able to adjust the dampening easily. I'm not sure what it does in there to adjust it, I assume, it adjusts the fluid flow through the shock body, but they definitely had to do something to get it to adjust.

And though I never had a problem with the KM unit, when it arrived with no mounting bracket for the compressor Big Joe sent me one, no questions asked. And I bought it new off ebay.

·
Registered
65 Posts
sorry to hear

The idea should be to make it "easy" for the customer. I manage a Toyota store and if my owner found out I handled a customer that way let's just say I wouldn't be there. When a customer has an experience like that they can turn into what is called an "assasin" which needless to say, doesn't help future business. The point is, now you have someone like me who was seriously considering the product and after hearing about your experience, has second thoughts and I'm just one guy. Maybe your boy forgot about the big picture and perhaps your influence you might have on this site. Regardless, for your sake, I hope you get things resolved!

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the support and replies! I sent the shock back Fed Ex Overnight so hopefully I will know something soon and I will keep you guys posted.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts