M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my new leftover 09 M109R LE. Thought I'd introduce myself and ask a couple of questions. Whats the best oil/tires.... Just kidding.
I'm coming from a SV1000s, Wife says she wants to ride more and couldn't stand the SV I'm so not a cruiser guy and was not ready for a tourer. I looked at sport tourers but at 700+ pounds and seat heights in the 32" range (28" inseam) they all felt intimidating. So the M109R is my compromise. I'm hoping to do some ripping around with my sport bike friends (although as we've aged more of us are trading in for cruisers) and some light touring with the wife. So far it has exceeded my expectations for fun and comfort.

Ive been trolling here for a few day and done some searching but I cant find an answer to one question. Im looking for a flat luggage rack for the back so I can mount a Givi Trunk I removed from the SV before the trade in. I know this is not a popular mod but Im just not into the leather sissybar bags. I found an old thread (2007) about a guy that was making his own to mount a Shad trunk. I cant weld so I was hoping someone out there makes a simple flat rack.

Jeff

·
Registered
163 Posts
:congrats:and:welcome:

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I'm assuming you mean when the wife is on the back or not. Right? You need something that will hold the bag behind the rear seat and backrest. Some of the guys here have that kind of setup.
Bob

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Welcome, just be advised that once the mod bug bites it is gonna hurt your wallet.:congrats:

·
Radio Active Member
27,669 Posts
:congrats: and :welcome: to the forum Jeff. :bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

Make sure to check out the two links in my signature.

Enjoy her and ride safe.

·
Registered
744 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Ive seen that cobra rack but I need one that goes behind the pillion seat if that one did it would be perfect. It will be used when touring 2 up. the Sissybar rack will not allow the Givi trunk to be mounted and opened. It has a built in back rest pad. As for the mod bug..... My SV and Buell befor it were both moderatly modded. The wife says I can tinker with my '72 DS7 250 and even the CBR600 but I have to leave the M109R alone...lol

However Ive read alot about using a 160 on the stock front rim. What are the benifits of this "mod"?

Psy

·
Registered
104 Posts
M109R Luggage Rack

PsyM109,
I feel the same way you do when it comes to saddle bags on the M109. To me they change the look of the bike. I didn't want them on my bike so I ordered a luggage rack from Kewlmetal (with an attachable backrest) and I love it. I'll send the photos to you through PM. I'm currently using my iPad and can't figure out how to attach the photos. I'm not 100% sure if this is what you had in mind but to me it beats the hell out of saddlebags. Congratulations on your new ride and welcome to the family. I also rode a SV prior to purchasing the M109. I still have it and ride it every now and then.

·
Registered
34 Posts
:welcome::welcome::welcome:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts