M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks - I just noticed my rear tire is worn down to the wear bars. Geez - that's after only 8,000 miles. My front tire doesn't have many miles left on it either.

Jake Wilson seems to have really good prices on tires for the M90

I'd rather spend a bit more to get the best possible tire rather than save a few bucks to go with a lesser tire. I can get the Dunlops for a total of $285.98 (no tax, free s/h and extra $10 off for buying the set) and the Bridgestones (the OE tire for the M90) for $209.98 (no tax, free s/h and extra $10 off for buying the set) .

Any opinions / advice? Has anyone tried the Dunlops? Thanks...

·
Registered
215 Posts
I know this wasn't a choice, but I have metzlers and I love them. I think you would too.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know this wasn't a choice, but I have metzlers and I love them. I think you would too.
Where did you get them? JakeWilson says the Metler rear tire for our bike has been discontinued.

Thanks for the feedback :)

I'll check with local Suzuki dealer tomorrow - they match or in many cases beat internet prices - perhaps one of their sources still has the Metzler...

I'm a little time constrained, though. I'm going camping in New Hampshire's White Mountains over the memorial day weekend and will be doing alot of riding. Last fall I spent a week in NH and put on about 1,500 miles...

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Kerri - do you find the Metzlers better handing than the OEM Bridgestones? Are they longer lasting? Better ride? More fuel efficient? Just curious... :)

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So what your saying Blake is ,you can't get a 210mm tyre any more?
I'm not sure if it's just the 200mm, 210mm or the whole line of ME880 rear tires. There's a few sites that state that they're discontinued.

·
Registered
743 Posts
i have the metzler me880 on the rear and on the front i have the metzler road tec the new one i really like it it seems quieter and handels fantastic and it rides alot better than those stock bridgestones

·
Registered
215 Posts
I find all to be true except I can't speak to the fuel efficiency. I don't keep up with it. Several guys I ride with ask me and I have to say I don't know.:dontknow: I would definitely recommend the 880s. I have the 210 on the rear and it looks really beefy since I debeavered the bike.
Hey Kerri - do you find the Metzlers better handing than the OEM Bridgestones? Are they longer lasting? Better ride? More fuel efficient? Just curious... :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
I, also would put on a set of Metzler ME880s front and rear. A mate just re-tired his C80 and says they are the best tire he's ever had. Took his bike for a ride and compared to my stocker Bridgestones, the 880s are a lot better. Nice and sticky, corner really well and are not affected by wet roads. They are supposed to wear really well too. Can't wait 'til my tires need replacing, then I'm going with 880s too. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. Wow - there must be something to the Metzlers - there the only tire with such positive recommendations. I'll have to dig a little deeper on availability and price.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Another option you can look at is the Bridgestone BT020. I have run this on sportbikes in the past and even when it had a hole in the rear it held up and kept me safe.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Tires...

Good luck with your search. I have replaced every tire on all of my motorcycles since 1983 with a Dunlop. It is all preference. I have always gotten more mileage out of them than the OE and the gas mileage is basically the same...if I even check it. I rarely calculate fuel mileage, my butt tells me when I need fuel. It sounds like quite a few of the riders like the Metzeler. I have found the suggestions and advice from others on this site to be valuable. Ride often and ride safe...

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've got my stock bridgestones with zero miles if you are interested. PM if you are interested.
Thanks for all the feedback. Wow - there must be something to the Metzlers - there the only tire with such positive recommendations. I'll have to dig a little deeper on availability and price.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good luck with your search. I have replaced every tire on all of my motorcycles since 1983 with a Dunlop. It is all preference. I have always gotten more mileage out of them than the OE and the gas mileage is basically the same...if I even check it. I rarely calculate fuel mileage, my butt tells me when I need fuel. It sounds like quite a few of the riders like the Metzeler. I have found the suggestions and advice from others on this site to be valuable. Ride often and ride safe...
Cool, thanks for your opinion. I've never had a Dunlop tire but I have a favourable impression of them. I try to ride as often as possible and safely too - I wish the same for you! :)

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, Josh! I didn't even think of eBay...I just checked out the auctions - Metzeler tires are a bit on the pricey side, eh? I'm more concerned with getting a great tire than saving money, though..

Ride safe :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Kerri - I'm interested. Thanks

PM sent

I've got my stock bridgestones with zero miles if you are interested. PM if you are interested.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
After a little more digging I see that the Metzeler 200 and 210 are still available at some online vendors (BikeBandit.com, HelmetHeadCycle.com for example) while some vendors such as MotorcycleSuperstore.com and JakeWilson.com are reporting the tire as discontinued.

I just checked the prices that Brooks @ MSN gave me yesterday and it looks like he's got the best price of the sites I've seen with the Metzeler tires. I can get them from Brooks for $120 for Front, $182 for Rear 200 and $180 for Rear 210.

The best price I've seen the Bridgestone OE tires for is at JakeWilson.com: $89 for front and $131 for rear (no s/h, no tax and extra $10 discount for buying 2 or more tires). Brooks also beats or matches internet prices so I could get them for the same price locally...

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Give Brooks the business,he deserves it :bigthumbsup:
Yep - Brooks has my business. I decided to go with the Metzlers. I think every recommendation I had, both online and at the dealer (Brooks + the mechanic) was to go with the Metzlers. I also decided to try out the 210 on the rear.

I got a fair price - $120 for the Front and $180 for the 210 Rear. JakeWilson.com had the front for $122 and JPCycle.com had it for $147. The 210 Rear was harder to find but I saw the 210 Rear at HelmetHeadCycle for $265.

Plus, Brooks can get it for me within 2-days and I can get it installed in time for my camping trip to NH. :bigthumbsup:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts