M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Need some opinions on this trailer I'm building....

I can't make my mind up, so I thought I'd ask you guys for your opinion.... :dontknow:

I'm in the middle of building a trailer, design idea pinched from madsparkie (thanks ol bean)....

Now, I bought 10" wheels, but after mocking up the trailer in position, I cant make my mind up! Are these wheels a bit too big? Do they look out of proportion? Should I go for smaller 8" wheels instead (I think madsparkie used 8", picture attached.)

Work in progress....

If the wheels were painted a darker colour, they may not look as loud.... I intend to paint whatever wheel a dark silver to match the bike wheels anyway....

Madsparkies trailer...

·
Radio Active Member
27,668 Posts
I would go smaller and paint the rim silver or black, or even put a chrome one on there.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I think the 10 " rims are too big for it, it just doesn't look right. Good luck with your project!
:agree: Go with the smaller wheels and paint em black, less maintenance for your cargo hauler.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,862 Posts
Either would work since you're not carrying that much load. The bigger tire will give you better tire life and less bearing wear, but again, with not much load and probably not a heck of a lot of use, the smaller will work too.

I think the smaller would look better.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
i guess the solution lies in how will you use the trailer. are you prone to taking very long rides and traveling at speeds above 60mph? if so, the larger wheels might be the smarter option.

however, if the rides are shorter, at slower speeds, and use of the trailer is not that frequent then perhaps the smaller wheels will be ok for aesthetic purposes as well.

in the end, it is up to you. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Smaller they shall be, I'll exchange them today. The more I look at my photo above, the more I think "swamp buggy"...

Id buy a backpack ...trailers are for cars.

but if you must go the smaller wheels:bigthumbsup:
I hear ya, but I already have saddlebags, tailpack, tankbag and various other storage options. After riding with a friend that has a trailer, and seeing the huge capcity he had, I decided instead of hanging a load of chit off my bike, (I do a lot of camping with my kids) I'll tow all the gear behind instead.

Thanks for your opinins guys. :bigthumbsup: I appreciate it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A few pics of the build progress...

Dry fit #1

Dry fit #2 (note, the wheels and suspension in thie photo are old units, not fit for purpose. I used them for layout purposes only. New 125kg suspension and 8" wheels used for the final assembly.)

Welding the frame. (40mm light gauge box section, with an 80mm X 50mm box section for the suspension mounting loacation.)

Wire form made up for tow hitch bracket. View from behind.

Wire form view from the side. Will have 1" ID tubing bent to match the shape of the wire form. Need to raise the height of the hitch pin mounting plate by 1.5 inches to allow for the ride height of the bike when rider and passenger are onboard...

Trailer almost complete, just to fit reflectors and connect up the lighting.

Sprung weight of the trailer is approx 25kg, empty. The target is not to exceed 125kg in total when fully loaded.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts