M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
he guys rode for about 3 hours yesterday came home and noticed alot of black stuff on my rear wheel not brake dust had it happen b4 then it stopped just wondering has anyone have this happen to them b4 and have a soulution??? looks like sumtin coming out of the plug under the hub???

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
from inside the hub or from the nuts on the outside.

If your hub oil is leaking out, it would not likely be black, but could be picking up break and road dust.

Check to make sure all of the external nuts are tight.

It is is internal, you are in for a much bigger job.

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
5,917 Posts
Here's an obvious (to me) question...

Did you ensure the plug is tight?

·
Banned
46 Posts
he guys rode for about 3 hours yesterday came home and noticed alot of black stuff on my rear wheel not brake dust had it happen b4 then it stopped just wondering has anyone have this happen to them b4 and have a soulution??? looks like sumtin coming out of the plug under the hub???
When was the last time you changed the hub fluid? New crush washer? If not, and you torque it, it won't be tight enough and will leak. If not leaking from there, I agree with SQ that you are leaking from the hub and probably have a bad seal.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
from inside the hub or from the nuts on the outside.

If your hub oil is leaking out, it would not likely be black, but could be picking up break and road dust.

Check to make sure all of the external nuts are tight.

It is is internal, you are in for a much bigger job.
Here's an obvious (to me) question...

Did you ensure the plug is tight?[/

its weird bc when parked the pattern on the wheel of the black stuff are in straight lines all over the wheel and its aorund the hub plug and sum is on the crack between hub and wheel yes made sure plug was tight

·
Administrator
5,917 Posts
I would tighten the plug about 1/8th turn. Sounds like it's leaking from around the crush washer. This should crush it down a little more so it seals. If it still seems to be leaking from there, change the hub fluid and get a new crush washer, then torque the plug to specs.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
will do thanks guys

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,137 Posts
If it's more of a grease than oil, and kind of dirty, it may be coming from inside the hub. Mine had some extra grease on the splines, as in enough to grease at least two of them, and it would work out over time. By the time it got slung onto the wheel it had collected enough brake dust that it no longer looked like grease. I actually kept a long, thin piece of cloth around for when I cleaned it, and I'd loop the cloth around the gap between the final drive and wheel to clean it out before it got slung off.

It quit doing it after I changed my first tire on the back and cleaned the excess grease out.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
/sorry for the slight jack

Is the crush washer from the hub oil drain bolt something you can get a hardware store? What size would I be looking for?

Just had the hub and wheels chromed and it's leaking at the washer. Im in another state and can not get to the dealer till Monday. Would like to fix it tomorrow cause it's messing up my new wheels:D

·
Administrator
5,917 Posts
If you take the old one with you, you might be able to match it with one at an auto parts store.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Yes it the washer!!!

I am haveing the same promblem, had to uinstall a new crush washer try your motorcycle shop they may have one if they work on jap bikes.You just have chrome on the threads that is stoping it from making a good seal. Then follow the above

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
That makes a lot of sense. Thanks guys!

I am haveing the same promblem, had to uinstall a new crush washer try your motorcycle shop they may have one if they work on jap bikes.You just have chrome on the threads that is stoping it from making a good seal. Then follow the above

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,137 Posts
If you have a Yamaha dealer nearby, you can get the crush washers from them. They use the same thing. seapup posted this a long time ago. They are less the $1 each and you can buy singles or packs.

Yamaha crush washers (part #214-11198-01)

Picture of the package, the diff uses the same as the engine oil drain plugs.

·
Radio Active Member
27,699 Posts
If you have a Yamaha dealer nearby, you can get the crush washers from them. They use the same thing. seapup posted this a long time ago. They are less the $1 each and you can buy singles or packs.

Yamaha crush washers (part #214-11198-01)
I have been using those washers since day one with no issues.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.