M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I'm just changed out a broken clutch cable. I'm having a hell of a time getting the lower cable end back into the swing arm. Any best known methods out there? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,878 Posts
I'm assuming you're talking about the clutch arm and not the swing arm.

If you're installing a Barnett cable you may need to spread the claw on the end of the arm apart a little. It's soft metal and you can put a flat screwdriver in it and twist it open a little. The slot for the cable may also be tight, and that you can file open a little, or spread it with the screwdriver.

Other than that, hook the cable end up first then install the lock nuts in the mounting bracket last.

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
Zoom I took a dremal bit the width of the cable and ground a larger slot. The piece is cast and can break. If you need the bit number let me know and I will look for it and post it up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. I was able to get the endpoint in,however, I'm now faced with what seems to be a cable to short.

If I connect the lower endpoint first, it won't connect at the clutch lever. If I connect the lever endpoint first, I won't reach at the little clutch arm.

I have the Barrett cable (got the xtra 3 in). I'm sure that I'm missing something here.

Any advice, feedback?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I had luck connecting the lower end and then pulling the clutch arm with a pair of pliers.

That gave me the slack at the top end to get it into the lever.

It also helps to remove the lever to make the connection, because you can move the lever around rather then needing to pull the cable too far. Once the lever is connected, it will give you the leverage to get it back into place.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
The easiest way is to take off the little bracket that sits by the lower cable hook up point. If you remove it then hook your cable up the bracket will bolt right back up, it is a 10mm bolt if I remember correctly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts