M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to take the bike out for a ride this evening and it wouldn't start. It sounded as if it turned over once and then nothing. I installed the GBat Battery from GMan Industries as a winter mod. Bike has run perfectly since, that is until today. I did all the basic checks: loose wires, loose connections, fuses, etc. Everything looks ok.
I hooked the bike up to the GBat Charger that I also purchased and after about twenty minutes on the charger, the bike fired up. I let it run for a few minutes at idel and then took it for a 30 minute spin. I returned home and pulled into the driveway and turned it off. Bike fired right back up. Turned it off and on again 4 more times and fired up ok each time. Took it for another 20 minute ride and then brought it back home and parked it in the garage with it hooked up to the charger for the night. I am going to take it over to my buddy's shop tomorrow and see if we can get a better look at what might be going on with it.

Some other members who have purchased this battery have mentioned that they notice a big difference in the way the bike fires up after installing it. However, I never noticed any real difference in the way it fired up. To me it has always sounded the same.

I am going to call GMan Industries on Tuesday and see what they say. A brand new battery shouldn't be having this issue. :verymad:

In the meantime, anybody have any suggestions on what could have caused this?

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Just was looking at the manual. It says the generator/alternator puts out 14.5 volts and 400 watts at 5000 rpm. That works out to 27.5 amps. That is not a lot. It does not give what it puts out at around town 2 to 4 thou revs with idle time in between. I would unhook the battery lead and check just how much voltage you have going out with the key off. Then if you can get an amp reading you can tell how fast it will drain your battery when sitting. Add up the watts for all your lights, leds, ETC. My guess is it is pretty close. I know mine will go dead if I don't ride it at least every two weeks. I also know my cobra has a draw to it with the key off. You have the clock pulling as well. Not an answer but just some info.
Bob

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,860 Posts
windy, check the battery ground connection at the frame. Follow the ground wire down and you'll find it. Remove the bolt and clean the connector off good, and also where it contacts the frame. There's been several bikes with starting issues and that was the problem.

Also check the voltage at the battery with the bike running. It should be over 14 volts running, and around 12.5 volts minimum with the bike off. It will show a little high immediately after shutting it off, but somewhere around 12.5 after a couple hours.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the suggestions, i will check those out today.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts