M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NOT BASHING trackdayelectronics, they are trying to help me. I purchased a Gear indicator with a TRE. I have it installed and got on the trottle, but it sounds like the rev limitor is engaging at about 6300-6600 rpms. What could cause this. I had a JSD-3M in the past and no problem like this.

Trackday is going to ask around about what could cause this, they are very helpful, but I thought I would put this out to the M109R EXPERTS!!

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,878 Posts
Can you select what gear it makes the bike think it's in? That's about the rpm it cuts off at in 5th gear, so if it always thought it was in 5th it would limit it to that rpm in all gears.

The GiPro makes it think it's in 4th gear all the time, unless it's in neutral. JSD's do the same thing.

The gear sensing thing is just a resistance reading. Each gear produces a different resistance from the gear position sensor and the ECU looks at the resistance to tell what gear it's in.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ZOOM

I just got an email from trackday and he told me that he originally made these for GXXR's and emulated 5th gear. He is making me one to emulate 4th gear. I believe this will work....YES!

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,878 Posts
I just got an email from trackday and he told me that he originally made these for GXXR's and emulated 5th gear. He is making me one to emulate 4th gear. I believe this will work....YES!
That should fix it bro. On the GiPro you can select a 5th or 6th gear map and it will act the same way.

I guess all those other folks that bought the Trackday unit never revved high enough to find the problem. :D

·
Registered
179 Posts
On a slightly broader question:

How do you KNOW that your TRE is working??? :dontknow::dontknow:

I bought one from TNT Racing (off eBay) and it plugged in just fine....
The bike 'feels' torquier/more angry but then again, that might just be the placebo effect. Rev limiter still kicks in the first few gears. Doesn't feel 'smoother' on the throttle.

I dynoed my bike last week, though, and the rev limiter kicked in at around 6500rpm on the dyno (5th gear). I thought it should have kicked in higher, or even not at all?!?
Have I got this wrong?
Have a look at my dyno run and you'll hear it kick in (I was streaming the video directly from my iphone so the footage sucks!)

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,878 Posts

I bought one from TNT Racing (off eBay) and it plugged in just fine....
The bike 'feels' torquier/more angry but then again, that might just be the placebo effect. Rev limiter still kicks in the first few gears. Doesn't feel 'smoother' on the throttle.

I dynoed my bike last week, though, and the rev limiter kicked in at around 6500rpm on the dyno (5th gear). I thought it should have kicked in higher, or even not at all?!?
Have I got this wrong?
Have a look at my dyno run and you'll hear it kick in (I was streaming the video directly from my iphone so the footage sucks!)

Even with a TRE you still have the normal 7200 -7300 rpm rev limiter in the first 4 gears. But with it the 6300 - 6500 rpm rev limiter (actually limits top speed) in 5th should now be the same as the other gears.

A TRE doesn't do away with the rev limiter, it just makes the one in 5th match the one in the other gears.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Even with a TRE you still have the normal 7200 -7300 rpm rev limiter in the first 4 gears. But with it the 6300 - 6500 rpm rev limiter (actually limits top speed) in 5th should now be the same as the other gears.

A TRE doesn't do away with the rev limiter, it just makes the one in 5th match the one in the other gears.
:agree: and you should be dyno'ing in fourth not fifth. Too much overdrive.

·
Registered
179 Posts
:agree: and you should be dyno'ing in fourth not fifth. Too much overdrive.
Yeah. That might also explain the ****ty numbers!
It was a $20 job on a group dyno day and I was one of the last ones on, so I think the operator didn't really give a **** at that point! :p
He'd been dynoing all types of bikes all day, from busa's to cafe racers. He did enjoy the run on the 9 though, and came off it with a grin on his face!:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hey guys, Darrin here from Track Day Electronics, we have sold several (10+) units to M109 riders and haven't heard an issue. Preacherman has a Power Commander, which I don't believe should have an effect, but I can't be 100% on that.

Our units were originally designed for GSXRs, SV and others that has a TRE that emulates 5th gear. We sold units to M109 owners and had them try them out and this is the first we heard of the issue.

If anyone else has this issue, please let us know. We are working on an M109 specific unit to emulate 4th gear to solve the issue. We will be more than happy to exchange units with those who have the issue OR we can send out a 4th gear standalone ATRE which you would simply add in line.

Thanks,

darrin
TrackDayElectronics.com

·
Registered
102 Posts

We hear it all the time. That is why we don't sell TREs with a GPD, but rather a GPD that has a TRE. The TRE is very inexpensive to add to the Gear Position Display and riders want them, so we add them. "Butt Dyno" is stated quite a bit by those who have added TREs to their bikes. Some people even buy switched units to try to tell the difference. Some people say they can't tell a difference at all and others say it is as good as a Power Commander. Not sure who to believe...

Earlier model bikes like the 03 SV1000 had a throttle issue that the TRE was able to correct. That is the only instance I know of where everyone is in agreement.

darrin

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Hey guys, Darrin here from Track Day Electronics, we have sold several (10+) units to M109 riders and haven't heard an issue. Preacherman has a Power Commander, which I don't believe should have an effect, but I can't be 100% on that.

Our units were originally designed for GSXRs, SV and others that has a TRE that emulates 5th gear. We sold units to M109 owners and had them try them out and this is the first we heard of the issue.

If anyone else has this issue, please let us know. We are working on an M109 specific unit to emulate 4th gear to solve the issue. We will be more than happy to exchange units with those who have the issue OR we can send out a 4th gear standalone ATRE which you would simply add in line.

Thanks,

darrin
TrackDayElectronics.com
:2cool:There are other vendors out there that could learn from these guys! :welcome:

·
Registered
179 Posts
:2cool:There are other vendors out there that could learn from these guys! :welcome:
:agree:That kind of attitude has me seriously thinking about upgrading to one of their GP indicators. Nice!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hello,

I just received my GPD and TRE from Darrin this week, and haven't had a chance to install it yet. Will be interesting to see if it has the same effect on my bike. I try to exceed 7000 rpm at least once a day. LOL. I wanted the TRE to eliminate the surging in the lower gears that is common on this bike. Most of my riding is on side streets or back roads where the speed limit is 35 - 45 mph and it seems that 3rd gear is the best match for that speed, but the bike surges sooooo much that I end up riding in 4th, around 2 - 2500 rpm to make it smooth out.

Hopefully will get it installed late this week and have a report by this weekend. This is my first post, so hello to everyone as well. No pics for my profile yet, but coming soon. I have a new 09 Limited edition and yes, I am already moding it. Have already added extended mirror arms from DLP, Partially debadged, have the parts to De-Beaver and Just drilled the 8 holes in the pipes today.

Talk to you all soon.

Steve

·
Registered
1,457 Posts

Thanks,

darrin
TrackDayElectronics.com
PM and Email sent.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks EVERYONE...Trackday is great to work with.

This company is great and easy to work with. I believe the 4th gear change will work. With Zoom making his statements and Darrin emailing me almost the same time, I believe this will correct the issue. If so, great product for the price.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Just received a email from Darrin and he is sending me out another unit with 4th gear settings next week. Now that is customer service!!!!!!

·
Registered
483 Posts
darrin is a great guy. Great to see a company understand real customer service is done after the sale.
I to have not had a chance to install yet. I received mine last week and waiting to install. I will be contacting Darrin for a replacement because I do have a power commander. You can tell when a company cares about their product when you open the box up and everything is labeled and sealed. Darrin even gave a nice flashlight for a free gift. If this fixes the problem I would recommend for the price.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just so everyone is aware - you will not need to remove the LED display as it will simply unplug from the processing unit.

darrin
TrackDayElectronics.com

1 - 20 of 59 Posts