M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not the most mechanically inclined individual and will need all the help I can get to undertake this project. I just ordered a set of Suzuki engine guards for the beast which should arrive by next thursday. I did a search on the "How to, Step-by-Step" section and came up with this thread:

http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74324&highlight=engine+guards

While the instructions seemed to be pretty clear and straight-forward, I would feel more comfortable doing this project if pictures were available. Does anyone have this step-by-step saved with pictures? Is there a way to recover the photos? or once the orginal poster removes them, we are pretty much SOL? Thanks in advance and any help would be strongly appreciated.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,850 Posts
The instructions that come with them are pretty good, probably as good as the pictures that were with the how-to. If you combine that with the pictures in the instructions you shouldn't have any problems installing them.

One thing to watch for. Some of them came with a bolt for the upper left that was a little too long. If you used it as it was it stuck out the back of the frame and hit one of the coolant hoses. Check that, and if it's too long just cut it off a little. Only some of them were like that and they've probably corrected it by now.

Some have also had to drill out the upper mounting hole on the left, the same one that has the bolt that is too long. There was some weld in them that kept the sleeve from fitting. Just a quick pass with a drill cleans it up.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One thing to watch for. Some of them came with a bolt for the upper left that was a little too long. If you used it as it was it stuck out the back of the frame and hit one of the coolant hoses. Check that, and if it's too long just cut it off a little. Only some of them were like that and they've probably corrected it by now.
Thanks Zoom, I will go over the instructions as you suggested to see how comfortable I feel about doing this myself. I have been going thru the entire thread and did notice that some mentioned that it can be done in about 45 minutes (average). I also read about one of the screws being too long as you mentioned. I believe that Ryno was the first to have this issue with his install. Towards the end, someone mentions that this part has been updated with new and improved hardware, but with my luck, I probably get the old kit so is good to keep that in mind. Thanks again.

Adrian

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
NOT HARD

If I remember correctly, that was the first mod I did on my own, a few years ago. I had no issues with the instructions or hardware. The hardest part was taking my time taking off the covers because I was a little nervous. You should be fine.:bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
27,665 Posts
Thanks Zoom, I will go over the instructions as you suggested to see how comfortable I feel about doing this myself. I have been going thru the entire thread and did notice that some mentioned that it can be done in about 45 minutes (average). I also read about one of the screws being too long as you mentioned. I believe that Ryno was the first to have this issue with his install. Towards the end, someone mentions that this part has been updated with new and improved hardware, but with my luck, I probably get the old kit so is good to keep that in mind. Thanks again.

Adrian
Don't worry about the time. Take your time and do it right. You will build up speed after you have done a couple of them. And yes I was the first to post up about that bolt being to long. If I did not take my time and check everything I would not have noticed it. I would more then likely be on the side of the road with a leaking hose.

·
Registered
46 Posts
:bigthumbsup: throw another post on here when you have it done man I was gonna get the same ones but didn't know how hard it would be or if you would have to remove the plastics or what. :evil:

·
Radio Active Member
27,665 Posts
:bigthumbsup: throw another post on here when you have it done man I was gonna get the same ones but didn't know how hard it would be or if you would have to remove the plastics or what. :evil:
If I remember correctly you do have to remove them.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
If I remember correctly you do have to remove them.
yes, removing them is the best and easiest way to go.

to the OP-
it sucks that the pictures don't show up on the old thread. i tried checking my files and i don't have that how to saved. i will see if i can find one and send it to you in order to help you out.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
i just checked a few other sources, i apologize, but i was unable to find a good how-to with pictures included. the link you have is the best thing i would suggest for now. good luck. i am sure you will have no problems installing them yourself. just like the others said, be sure to take your time and do not rush. doing it right the first time is best, even if it takes all day. the speed will come eventually. be sure to use some towels to lay your plastics on to avoid scratches. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
492 Posts
Yea, pulling off the plastic covers, is a litte concerning the first time, but neccesary, I think, to do it right. Whith this machine you will get good eventually at pulling the tank, and covers, if for no other reason than to check on things like hoses, coolant, rear brake reservoir. You can pull the head tube covers, and radiator shroud without totally pulling the tank, by just sliding it back far enough, with a rolled up towel to cushion the rear of tank over battery, or go for it, and unplug the brown fuel pump electrical connection, pinch the tab, and pull the fuel line by pinching the two blue tabs that stay with the tank tube, it's tough but doable, just a little fuel drips, that's it. Pull the speedo cover bolt, and slide forward, let hang to one side or unplug, two screws each side of fork head tube covers, little black rivet-push in center pin + pull rivet, reset pin when installing, watch the little plastic tabs forward edge of these covers, I broke one of mine, pivot at forward edge apart. Watch how cables are routed inside left cover. Two bolts each side of shroud out, pops apart at centerline top, shroud is tough, never broke mine yet, pull forward and rotate down to pop off 4 hooks at botom, 2 each side near forward peg mounts, watch these locations for install, pulling shroud apart top, to clear fender. Do engine guard bars one at a time each side so motor mounts don't move too far to line up new bolts. You will have to lay on floor to line up those 4 hooks going back on, so pay attention were they go. If you don't have torque wrench just get the new bolts good and tight, they hold the forward motor mounts ! Oh yea, while you have the left side peg mount bracket loose, pull the 'C' clip on the shifter, slide off, put some good grease on that sucker, mine was dry ! You'll need some snap ring pliers. Reward yourself with a good brew, and plan the next mod, like adding highway pegs to your new bars :bigthumbsup: Ride on........RRH....:doorag:
ps: watch them @#$% little rubber grommets on lower tank edge at side covers, man they get lost easy.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, I think I finally found the fortitude to take on this project. So far, I have carefully removed both side covers and moving over to loosening the gas tank to slide it backwards.

Now my question is; Is it necessary for me to have the bike vertical on a motorcycle jack (I don't have one) or can I install these guards while the bike is on its side-stand?

Also, the instructions mention about placing a "scissor jack and block of wood underneath the lower engine mounts", each side individually, is this also a necessity? Thanks in advance for all of your replies and assistance. I really would like to complete this project tonight;).

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,850 Posts
You can do it on the side stand, but you do need to either support the engine from underneath or raise it back up afterward. The bolt you remove on the lower left side supports the engine, and once it's removed the engine will drop down a little. This in itself doesn't hurt anything, but it makes it hard to get the bolt to realign in the hole. If you don't have a scissor jack you can place make a lever out of a couple boards to push it back up a little.

I didn't have to do anything to mine but I had it on a regular bike lift. This fits under the frame rails and wouldn't let the engine drop enough to misalign the holes.

·
Seasoned Member
7,635 Posts
Man, you really need to invest in a jack or one day your going to have an unfortunate mishap. :-\ There are so many awesome do-it-yourself mods and maintenance chores you're going to want to do that require a jack. And it makes washing the bike so much easier...

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You can do it on the side stand, but you do need to either support the engine from underneath or raise it back up afterward. The bolt you remove on the lower left side supports the engine, and once it's removed the engine will drop down a little. This in itself doesn't hurt anything, but it makes it hard to get the bolt to realign in the hole. If you don't have a scissor jack you can place make a lever out of a couple boards to push it back up a little.

I didn't have to do anything to mine but I had it on a regular bike lift. This fits under the frame rails and wouldn't let the engine drop enough to misalign the holes.
Thanks again Zoom. Seapup, I will definitely invest in one of those jacks this week. I was going to stop over by Sears in Alexandria on my way form work but I got out late and did not feel like stopping.

The left engine guard is on with not problems, now I just have to torque to specs and "whala." However, I am having problems installing the right side. According to the instructions I must use "the supplied M10-1.25x40mm socket head bolt (I am assuming this to be the shortest one of the two) with a 10mm washer" for the lower mount and the "supplied M10-1.25x70mm HEX head bolt" with a washer for the upper engine guard mount. My problem is the difference in the size of the lower bolts. Why is the left one so much longer than the one on the right?

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Isn't it because of the coolant system? Just don't forget to trim it down so you don't have coolant leaking.

·
Seasoned Member
7,635 Posts
Thanks again Zoom. Seapup, I will definitely invest in one of those jacks this week. I was going to stop over by Sears in Alexandria on my way form work but I got out late and did not feel like stopping.

The left engine guard is on with not problems, now I just have to torque to specs and "whala." However, I am having problems installing the right side. According to the instructions I must use "the supplied M10-1.25x40mm socket head bolt (I am assuming this to be the shortest one of the two) with a 10mm washer" for the lower mount and the "supplied M10-1.25x70mm HEX head bolt" with a washer for the upper engine guard mount. My problem is the difference in the size of the lower bolts. Why is the left one so much longer than the one on the right?
Answer: Symmetry

The left side is longer because it has to pass through a 1/2" spacer and the peg bracket before it hits the threads in the frame. The right side only has to pass through the peg bracket.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Man, you really need to invest in a jack or one day your going to have an unfortunate mishap. :-\ There are so many awesome do-it-yourself mods and maintenance chores you're going to want to do that require a jack. And it makes washing the bike so much easier...
hey seapup mine next looks like you doing a great job on the cleaning part :bow:

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It was nice talking to you and I am glad that you are in the home stretch.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!:bigthumbsup: I have to say, what a great bunch of guys we have on this board. Honestly, I could not have done it without all of you. Ryan (rynosback), thanks for taking the time and reaching out, I really needed your re-assurance and guidance. I owe you a cold one in June and if you want it sooner, just holler at me and we can make that happen:beer3:. Zoom, thanks for the quick replies which were spot on. Hink thanks for the PM trying to assist. Seapup, thanks for reinforcing how much I really need a motorcycle jack. I will have one this week. In the mean-time, would you mind if I bring my bike over so that you can show me how to use it while you clean my rims? lol :joke:.

Again, Thank You ALL, :yourock: and pictures will be posted soon.

Adrian

1 - 20 of 23 Posts