M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone reply with the step by step instruction on removing the Fuel Tank from the M109R? I need to remove mine to find out where a fuel leak is coming from and to to also have the tank along with the other parts of the bike painted very soon. Suddenly, my bike just sprang a fuel leak, and it appears to be coming from somewhere in the middle of the engine area. However, I can't really tell where or how to fix it until I can identify where the leak actually is.

Please post some instructions on how to remove the tank as soon as possible. I am trying to have this completed over the Thanksgiving Day weekend.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Remove tank bolt under seat

Slide tank toward seat until you can lift it

Unplug fuel line and wire harnesses.

done

·
Registered
84 Posts
GAS TANK
1- remove the 12mm bolt, and side covers. (see side cover removal)
2- use a socket extension to hold the tank up while you unplug connectors -- 1 for the speedometer and 1 for the fuel pump. disconnect the fuel line by pinching the blue plastic connector and pull apart-- some gas will come out -- not much-- have a rag ready.
3- slide tank towards the back and up and off.
4- remove the screw on the plastic speedometer cover and slide off.
5- remove the 4 screws that hold the plastic speedometer cover on to the gauge.

G

·
GAS TANK
2- use a socket extension to hold the tank up while you unplug connectors -- 1 for the speedometer and 1 for the fuel pump. disconnect the fuel line by pinching the blue plastic connector and pull apart-- some gas will come out -- not much-- have a rag ready.
Ah, so the tank has dry-break connectors?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
GAS TANK
You actually do not need to remove the side covers as when you lift and pull back, they will pop off the tank.

You also do not need to remove the speedo or housing as once the harness is unplugged, it will go with the tank.

I personally use a roll of duct tape to hold the tank up while unplugging it but it seems like a socket extension should work as well.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Ah, so the tank has dry-break connectors?
Yup.

And even though people warn that some fuel will leak, the most I have ever had is a drip.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
...even though people warn that some fuel will leak, the most I have ever had is a drip.
I just place a shop rag right under the fuel line and so when I disconnect it the tiny bit of fuel can get soaked up real quick. It's not much to worry about, but I'd rather it go onto a rag than down onto my motor & wiring.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
And I feel it needs saying, those light blue tabs stay with the tank, when taking the fuel line off. My first time, i tried to get them off with the fuel line., LOL NOPE, they stay.......

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yup.

And even though people warn that some fuel will leak, the most I have ever had is a drip.
This was actually my biggest concern...spilling or losing fuel when I unplug the fuel line.

Thanks to all of you for the response. One of the members here is also sending me the manual for the M109R via email, which will also come in very handy now and in the future.

Thanks you guys.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
When undoing the fuel connector, it can be a bear your first time. I found that if you push on it first, then squeeze the blue tabs it will pop right off.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
When undoing the fuel connector, it can be a bear your first time. I found that if you push on it first, then squeeze the blue tabs it will pop right off.
yes sir,,,,,,,,,,,,,, thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,:bigthumbsup:

OT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,12* argggggggggggggggg brrrrrrrrrrrr

·
Registered
534 Posts
I know you are looking for tank removal instructions, but regarding the fuel leak...

Are you certain it is a fuel leak from the tank? I had gas leaking from 'somewhere' underneath what I thought was the tank area...where it meets the seat. When it was on the sidestand, it was leaking down to the clutch cover on the left side. Only leaked when the bike was running.

I eventually discovered that it was the fuel rail...a problem that was only for the '06 and '07 models. Suzuki had a recall for this, so the fix was covered by suzuki...100%.

Not sure if this is your issue or not. Just wanted you to know about the recall.

Dave

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
I eventually discovered that it was the fuel rail...a problem that was only for the '06 and '07 models. Suzuki had a recall for this, so the fix was covered by suzuki...100%.
:agree: Sounds like it could be the fuel rail. Is it just a drop or two that is leaking, or is it a good amount?

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know you are looking for tank removal instructions, but regarding the fuel leak...

Are you certain it is a fuel leak from the tank? I had gas leaking from 'somewhere' underneath what I thought was the tank area...where it meets the seat. When it was on the sidestand, it was leaking down to the clutch cover on the left side. Only leaked when the bike was running.

Not sure if this is your issue or not. Just wanted you to know about the recall.

Dave
Dave, that is exactly what is happening with my bike word for word. Since it is an '07 model, and I bought it used with only 2332 miles on it, will Suzuki still be responsible to fix it as part of a Recall issue after all of this time has elapsed?

Please advise.

Thank you.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Dave, that is exactly what is happening with my bike word for word. Since it is an '07 model, and I bought it used with only 2332 miles on it, will Suzuki still be responsible to fix it as part of a Recall issue after all of this time has elapsed?

Please advise.

Thank you.
Yes, Suzuki will be responsible as it is an outstanding recall. Just take it to the dealer and they will handle. I had a friend who had an 06 (Jacques is his screen name) and he had the same problem. He took it to the dealer and it was handled. This was last year.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, Suzuki will be responsible as it is an outstanding recall. Just take it to the dealer and they will handle. I had a friend who had an 06 (Jacques is his screen name) and he had the same problem. He took it to the dealer and it was handled. This was last year.
Thanks BP.

·
Registered
534 Posts
My bike is a 2006. I discovered the issue last year. Called dealer and they wanted to have the VIN(vehicle identification number)/serial number over the phone. I gave it to them and they looked to make sure that the fuel rail recalled applied to my specific bike.
They ordered the part, which didn't take that long to arrive. Half a day in the shop and have never had an issue again.
FYI...I was actually able to find the Suzuki recall bulletin online...nice to have when dealing with dealer...just showing him the Suzuki sponsored recall...can't say anything other than "when do you want it fixed". Type into your search engine, "2007 suzuki m109r recalls"

Hope this helps, Dave

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My bike is a 2006. I discovered the issue last year. Called dealer and they wanted to have the VIN(vehicle identification number)/serial number over the phone. I gave it to them and they looked to make sure that the fuel rail recalled applied to my specific bike.
They ordered the part, which didn't take that long to arrive. Half a day in the shop and have never had an issue again.
FYI...I was actually able to find the Suzuki recall bulletin online...nice to have when dealing with dealer...just showing him the Suzuki sponsored recall...can't say anything other than "when do you want it fixed". Type into your search engine, "2007 suzuki m109r recalls"

Hope this helps, Dave
I called the local Suzuki dealer as soon as I got your response earlier today stating that it would be covered and fixed for free due to the Recall Notification for the Fuel Rail Leak issue. The owner of the dealership asked me for my VIN #. She verified over the phone that my '07 M109R had not had the upgrade/fix performed for the Fuel Rail Leak, and she told me to bring the bike any time it was convenient for me, and they would take care of it right away. The lady here that owns the Suzuki Dealership is wonderful, and has always provided her customers with great customer service and support.

Thank yopu all for the advice and direction on this. You all have been a great help.

All of you have a great Thanksgiving with your family and friends.

BCRUZN

1 - 18 of 18 Posts