M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Myself, and two of my partners have Hard Chrome Sideburner exhausts on our 9s. We would really like to remove the baffle from each of them, but we are unsure if and/or how we can do this. I look down the end of the canister today and noticed that the baffle appears to be welded in. Has anyone removed the baffle from the Sideburner exhaust? If so, how did you accomplish it, how did it sound, and even more importantly how did it affect the power and performance of the bike?

If you have any information on this, please reply and let me know.

Thank you.

BCRUZN

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Myself, and two of my partners have Hard Chrome Sideburner exhausts on our 9s. We would really like to remove the baffle from each of them, but we are unsure if and/or how we can do this. I look down the end of the canister today and noticed that the baffle appears to be welded in. Has anyone removed the baffle from the Sideburner exhaust? If so, how did you accomplish it, how did it sound, and even more importantly how did it affect the power and performance of the bike?

If you have any information on this, please reply and let me know.

Thank you.

BCRUZN
Business partners or, um, 'life partners'?

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Just wondering.

Anywho-

The baffle is rather minimal to begin with, though I have looked at it with an eye toward removal.

It seems like it would be doable, but a little tricky without leaving any signs on the outside of the pipe.

As for performance, the sideburner is already a very free flowing 2 into 1, so it is better on HP than torque.

Freeing it up even more would be expected to only amplify that effect.

I would bet it would sound good though.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
With as loud as it already is, I've never even considered it. The only conversations I've ever heard was about trying to quiet it down.

Sorry I can't help.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Business partners or, um, 'life partners'?

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Just wondering.

Anywho-

The baffle is rather minimal to begin with, though I have looked at it with an eye toward removal.

It seems like it would be doable, but a little tricky without leaving any signs on the outside of the pipe.

As for performance, the sideburner is already a very free flowing 2 into 1, so it is better on HP than torque.

Freeing it up even more would be expected to only amplify that effect.

I would bet it would sound good though.
SR, that was a pretty witty one there. :bigthumbsup: I certainly had to laugh about that.

In addition to removing the baffle I am wanting to shorten my Sideburner exhaust. After looking it over I realized that the end of the header pipes that fit into the front of the canister can only be cut approximately 3" to 4" at the most, so that it will allow the then shorter end to still fit snug and properly back into the front of the canister to be held tight together by the two clamps on the ends. However, that would still not make the pipe as short as I would like it to be. So, I was also wanting to cut the end of the canister to get the exact length I wanted it to be. My thought is to cut it at a slant about 1" to 2" from the weld on the back of the canister, and then make a smaller inconspicous bracket to hold the canister in place, since I won't be able to use the mounting bracket that comes with the Sideburner. Do you have any suggestions or tips that mike make shortening the Sideburner experience a good one? I certainly don't want to mess it up.

Thanks.

BCRUZN

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
SR, that was a pretty witty one there. :bigthumbsup: I certainly had to laugh about that.

In addition to removing the baffle I am wanting to shorten my Sideburner exhaust. After looking it over I realized that the end of the header pipes that fit into the front of the canister can only be cut approximately 3" to 4" at the most, so that it will allow the then shorter end to still fit snug and properly back into the front of the canister to be held tight together by the two clamps on the ends. However, that would still not make the pipe as short as I would like it to be. So, I was also wanting to cut the end of the canister to get the exact length I wanted it to be. My thought is to cut it at a slant about 1" to 2" from the weld on the back of the canister, and then make a smaller inconspicous bracket to hold the canister in place, since I won't be able to use the mounting bracket that comes with the Sideburner. Do you have any suggestions or tips that mike make shortening the Sideburner experience a good one? I certainly don't want to mess it up.

Thanks.

BCRUZN
My suggestion is that you should shorten the pipes (before the canister) and if you still want to cut off the rear of your canister to give it a different look, to use a band saw so you get the steadiest cut possible.

·
Registered
893 Posts
With as loud as it already is, I've never even considered it. The only conversations I've ever heard was about trying to quiet it down.

Sorry I can't help.
:agree: Pipe is already loud hate to hear what it would sound like without the baffles.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My suggestion is that you should shorten the pipes (before the canister) and if you still want to cut off the rear of your canister to give it a different look, to use a band saw so you get the steadiest cut possible.
JD, how many inches did you cut (before the canister) off of your Sideburner? I am trying to cut my Sideburner to the exact same length. I think that is perfect.

Please let me know.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Cutting Chrome

What do you do with the chrome you cut, to prevent rusting? I was also thinking of trimming to a different length, but didn't want it to rust and flake the chrome off.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
What do you do with the chrome you cut, to prevent rusting? I was also thinking of trimming to a different length, but didn't want it to rust and flake the chrome off.
Since the cut on the head pipes is covered by the leading edge of the exhaust canister all you would need is some silver high temp paint. I didn't even think about doing that (but maybe I should've) and I didn't see any rust from the back side of the exhaust after 4 months of riding and washing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts