M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been called out to the track tomorrow night by a co worker from another shop. he wants to run the 109 with a new yamaha crapliner. the problem is i've never been on a track and haven't been practicing launches for anything this serious. what is the perfect rpm to launch at? and at what tire pressure?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Best advice come out smooth and pin it hard. If you let the bike do the work you wont have to learn super fast and hard how to drag race it, if the track is preped at all you should be able to run street preassure. Not sure on the Rpm as I dont have a 109, but I would bet around 2k for someone new to raceing. Have fun most of all :)

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I would say best of luck...but if you just take off like you normally do when you take off hard at a stop light...then I think you're gonna absolutely smoke that guy.

Let us know the times when you get a chance.

If you're near enough to me..bring your buddy on the yamaha...and I'll see if I can embarass him.

(Huntsville, AL)

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
ITguy said:
I've only been to an 1/8 mile track twice so take this with a grain of salt.Â

First time out I left street pressure in the tires (40-42) and second time out I lowered it to around 30.

I don't feather the clutch on take off rather I just dump it and go. So, I've found that 2000-2300 rpm grabs pretty good and takes off. Anything over 3000-3300 and you'll be spinning the tire.Â

I try to short shift around 6500rpm rather than waiting to redline. I shift without the clutch by pressing up on the shifter with my foot and just quickly cracking the throttle to shift. If you haven't practiced this you may just want to shift as usual.

My last time out I had 3 runs under 8 seconds with the quickest being a 7.880.

Assuming he isn't a well seasoned drag racer himself and both bikes are stock you shouldn't have much trouble even if you don't use the tricks mentioned above. Main thing is to be alert, safe and have fun regardless of who wins. The fun part is just trying to better your own times.  :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:
That works out to be 12.3 or so qtr mile!

We usually place our bike on the left tire track and ease the clutch (Slip) it to get moving and then go like h_LL! :p :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys. thats the info i'm looking for. i have had the tire spinning and the front wheel in the air before but i need it to stick and go. i'll post again after the race.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, my first time at the track, 60' times suck, but i still kicked his a$$. he brought a silver bike so there was no color advantage. my best 1/4 was 12.3 at 106 mph, jsd and full tank of gas. he had a stratoliner with all the stuff taken off of it and was consistant with 12.7. the yamaha is fast but it can't catch the 109. i'll post the time slips later.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Way to go 109RS!!!!

So far the only attitude I've gotten was from an idiot in a dodge pickup. It didn't last long....

·
Registered
414 Posts
Quijinn said:
Best advice come out smooth and pin it hard. If you let the bike do the work you wont have to learn super fast and hard how to drag race it, if the track is preped at all you should be able to run street preassure. Not sure on the Rpm as I dont have a 109, but I would bet around 2k for someone new to raceing. Have fun most of all :)
2k...lol...yeah that will impress them...2K should get you to 10 MPH real fast...he'll fall of his bike laughing then you can blow by him...

·
Registered
629 Posts
J R said:
Why dont you just show Quijinn a thing or two about riding and racing a motorcycle and beat him at a track somewhere ::) Come on man be cool I happen to know you might be really suprised at who some of the people are on this board and they would ride circles around 99% here.I also suggested 2 grand if ya read my post and if you had been to a track before or seen firstimers before you would know why people that go all the time would tell him to just come out of the hole at 2 grand and let the bike do the work for his first ever time there with a motorcycle with the TQ this bike has :confused: Be cool man no need for bashing. :confused: Be cool and dont ever talk trash at or about the track you may end up eating your own words somday :bigthumbsup: :doorag: Be cool :doorag:
+10

Why is it neccesary for some people to talk trash. What is your problem anyway. :dontknow:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
J R said:
cool.no need for slips we belive ya unless ya just wanna post um.Good win.I knew ya could do it :bigthumbsup: So now are you addicted????? going back anytime soon :D ;) :evil:
thanks JR for the help and the support. hell yea i'm addicted. i'm going back next thursday, with the power commander if it gets here in time. thursday nights are test and tune nights, so its nice to just run without a bunch of rules and i get to practice without being in the way. i need the 60' time though. i tried launching at 2500 and it let the smoke out of the tire. i spent more time trying to get off the line then it took to get down the track. if i take off at 1000 it jumps, then feels like it slows down, then takes off like a rocket. on the street i don't have the problem. everybody says if i run 30psi in the rear tire it should hook up. next time i'm not leaving until i get under 12 seconds

·
Registered
51 Posts
wildwolf said:
I would say best of luck...but if you just take off like you normally do when you take off hard at a stop light...then I think you're gonna absolutely smoke that guy.

Let us know the times when you get a chance.

If you're near enough to me..bring your buddy on the yamaha...and I'll see if I can embarass him.

(Huntsville, AL)
Regarding beating a Stratoliner with an Intruder....As Spongebob would say.. "Good luck with that!"

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
J R said:
Try a few dry hops...that before ya get to the start line and after the burnout box try reving the bike and poping the clutch a few times to see how it feels and what its gonna act like on a given night.Kinda like some little practice launches.I wouldnt lower the tire pressurre run less gas in the tank first.You can hide some lead up in the front in the center of the wheel or in the neck of the bike or headlight and then lower the pressurre and come out real hard and pick up that 60 foot bigtime ;) Call me ill tell ya how to scale the bike for your weight and get the 60,s down ;)
thanks JR, i'll try it. but how do i cope with the withdrawls until thursday :p

·
Registered
572 Posts
Find a nice patch of road in the boonies, where no cars go down, and practice...

Or find a nice vacant parking lot...

Tons of places... even from a stop sign ;)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BigBen said:
Find a nice patch of road in the boonies, where no cars go down, and practice...

Or find a nice vacant parking lot...

Tons of places... even from a stop sign ;)
i do what i can but the cops around here don't like that stuff. have you ever gotten a ticket in NC? the lawyer fees get expensive

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Techmaven said:
Regarding beating a Stratoliner with an Intruder....As Spongebob would say.. "Good luck with that!"
May not need much...if he comes to my track. He said that the strat performed a steady 12.7 in the 1/4 mile. I would venture to bet...that he gets MOST of his speed near the last 1/8 mile of the track. I get most of mine..in the first 1/8.

I'm down to just over 9 seconds (9.06 twice now)...and I'm about 70 pounds overweight (my fat ass...not the Intruder). The only mod I've done...is drag pipes. I've lost backpressure by doing that, and I've got a set of lollipops I just haven't installed. That should get me my low end torque back (at least...I'm hoping it will) and might drop me into the upper 8s range. The more weight I lose (and I am losing...) the better it will get.

I also rode most of my track time (13 of 15 rides) with my saddlebags and windshield on. Next time, I'm taking it all off and wearing my full face helmet so my eyes don't water & I can see. :bigthumbsup:

The 1200 sportster I raced said he dropped 2 tenths when he rode last time w/o his shield. That puts me ~ 8.8-8.9 if I can gain just as much. I've ONLY seen 1/8 miles times on 5 cruisers:
v-rod: 8.16, 8.17, 8.03, and 8.35 (he was racing the sportster on the 8.35..he won first race..but I didn't see time on it)
1200 sportster: 8.3612 and 8.4396 (both of these racing me) and 8.32 (against the v-rod above)
1800VTX: 8.7389, 8.6774, 8.2713, 8.3822 Friend of mine that posted his timeslips on another board.
VS800 Intruder (mine): 8.8654, 9.2867, 9.1437, 9.1313, 9.0640 (first night, last two without saddlebags)
VS800 Intruder (mine): 9.5194, 9.2192, 9.2068, 9.1353, 9.2232, 9.0630 (second night...bags attached...both nights had windshield).
M109R (thanks ITGuy): 12.141 8.163 8.794 8.386 8.081 8.311 8.125 8.113

I'm not "that" far behind them...except for the M109 (which I'll never beat) and the V-Rod (which I'll also never beat)...I think he was just nervous against the sposter. Nervous? Why? You ask..well it was also his 2nd night at the track...and his first 3 rides against another bike on the track. I witnessed his first 4-5 times down the track on the first night...by himself. 8.17, 8.16, 8.1 something...and one 8.03. I'm a full second behind him..I know that.

The others, though...with a little work, the right launch...I can easily get a jump on them...which will DESTROY their ego and could easily make them make a mistake. In the first v-rod/sposter race above, the guy on the sportster missed second gear...said he hit it..just not forceful enough...and it popped back into neutral. He literally got smoked on that race. He won the 2nd one against the v-rod.

The best 'regular rider' times I have seen posted by a VS800 intruder..were sent to me in a PM on the IA board:

my best was 8.282 @1/8 which was at 81.55mph which ended up as 13.24 @ 1/4 @ 96.36mph.
My next 2 best were
[email protected]
[email protected]
The 1200 Sportster I raced...hit an 8.43 and an 8.36...but was at 83.41 mph and 83.6 mph, respectively...and I figure he'll hit MUCH higher speeds by the time he gets to the end of a 1/4 mile track....where as the 800 intruder tops out at 105..which AIN'T gonna happen in just a 1/4 mile length of track. We are QUICK for a little bit...then crawl up more. I caught & passed the 1200...in that 1/8 of a mile on the 2nd race...but got beaten both times. If I lean myself out...my bike, etc....I may not be at the point where I need to beat his bike, but emotionally, if I pull ahead and KEEP pulling ahead for a bit, he might slip a gear, miss a shift point, etc...and I could beat HIM.

If I can run an 8.28...I CAN compete in the 1/8 mile with an 1800 VTX, a Stratoliner, and...against a GREEN (cause I'll be experienced by the time I can run an 8.28) racer...pretty much any other cruiser currently out there. Don't believe me? Go to an 1/8 mile track...and post your times. :)

Now, for the Original Poster, 109RS, others may have no need to see your timeslips, but I *am* trying to get folks to participate on another forum so ...if you do post, maybe others will as well:
http://www.motorcycle-journal.com/forum/racing/17046-cruiser-motorcycle-track-time-slips-wanted.html

I'd LOVE to get a good site going of nothing but times for cruisers that regular folks ride...not magazine published numbers of professional riders. So..I would appreciate it if you did post there...and well here. :)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
if i can stop being lazy for the two minutes it takes to get the scanner hooked up i'll post them

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
J R said:
My scanner has dust on it in the other room i never use it :confused:
Didn't use mine either...used the "Macro" option on the digicam. :) Took pics of about 3 at a time...course, I only did the pics of the first time at the track. When I went last week since I still didn't get better than a 9.06 I didn't see the sense of posting the images again, but I did post the #s.

When I go back next week, btw, I am thinking of having the guy on the Sportster run my intruder twice down the track for me. Once..to get used to it...cause she'll pop a wheelie faster than snot...and the next time..to see what kinda time he might be able to get. He's about 70-80 pounds lighter than me...so it'll let me know if it's worthwhile (for time...I know I need to for health) to drop my weight down. :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have ran the 109 3 times down the track so far. I have raced many many bikes and I find the 109 pretty straight forward to race. What we did was lower the tire pressure to 25 lbs. and that worked really well. I went around the water box did a dry hop to see how she would react and everything was good. lined the bike up in the inner tire track (very important) do NOT line up in the middle. Took it easy the first launch and everything was fine. Each run I launched harder and harder and she hooked good every time. Now with that said I was at a NHRA sactioned track that is kept up very well, your track may vary. The hardest part for me is getting my foot back up to the shifter to hit second. The proper way to launch a non wheelie bar bike is to have the upper part of your body over the tank and your legs back. Im a short guy anyway so I hit the darn rev limiter in 1st all 3 runs, so its air shifter time. What I do with any new bike or after our 4 monthes of winter here in St. Louis is go out to a concrete road usually a long loading dock area on sunday and practice some launches. Just take it easy at first. Dont pop the clutch out sliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip that clutch and roll the throttle at the same time start out around 2000 and youll be fine. Good luck to anyone going to the strip.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts