M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Riding along yesterday, going to pass a car, my engine started sputtering and choking. I backed down and it stopped. Tried it again and same thing missing, sputtering. After I stopped, it wouldn't start. 40 mins. later it started and ran OK for about 10 mins. Same problems again. I got it home and my friend said bad gas, filter, or injector clogged.
Has this ever happened to any of you and what did you do? ??? Any advise will be appriciated.

Thanks and ride safely fast.

·
Registered
145 Posts
jeff, i've been posting same symptom question. Just started doing this 2 days ago and it's sounding EXACTLY like your sitution. Don't have any answers yet but i'm going to check the fuel filter. I can't think of anything that could be wrong. I've got new kn filters in and that's about it. Just started doing this 2 days ago after it's running awhile and good and hot. any throttle input above 3 grand and it's sputters and bogs down like it's starving for gas...had to nurse it home.....

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Just throwing this out there. I have noticed that gas stations around me just switched to the summer formula of gasoline. It may be a crappy blend of the first batch on summer blend..:dontknow:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hi

I had the same situation last holiday in Spain. We where with a group of bikers and we had some twisties before and some different kind of speed. Than my bike startet sputtering and choking. Just in front af a filling station the machine was out. So we rolled to the filling station an I hoped that a new filling will help. I took high octaine because I assumed bad gasoline in Spain.

We tried erverything and could not start the machine again. What we found:

the elektrik fuel pump did not pump. No sound. So I was shure it is the pump disabled by the alarm system.
but because of a lot of rain and water the night before I thougt still the cause-and-effect-chain starts with the alarm system (which is well known for problems in wet weather).

When I was home in Germany again I startet to reinstall the alarm system. this is a lot of work because of a lot of resetting procedures.

After the removal of the alarm system - nothing happend. So I was shure I made a mistake with the alarm system and thought the system is not correctly reseted.

I took my baby in the Suzuki Garage. Computerchek said everything electricly is fine. After one day of try and error (and 250,- € labour costs later) we found out that the fuel pump did stop because the filter was full of dust and dirt. The dust and dirt blocked and destroyed the fuel pump and this complete thing had to be replaced. In total I payed 750,--€ this is 1000 US$ for finding the mistake and replacing the parts. :verymad::verymad:

So please check the filter of the fuelpump to save money !

See some pics here: Picasa Webalbum Fuelpump and Filter

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Hink
sounds like a cleaning the filter how to needs to go into the FAQ.
Bob

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well ....it was low on coolant. The gauge indicator is hard to see and it looked OK till I looked a little closer. I topped it off and it runs great. It dosen't take much for this bike to overheat because it dosen't hold alot of coolant. By the wat I put in some injector cleaner and it helped it run better than it ever has. I guess 4 years and 26,000+ miles will make them clog a little. And I'll be looking at that coolant level alot more often.

Ride fast and safe

·
Radio Active Member
27,655 Posts
Well ....it was low on coolant. The gauge indicator is hard to see and it looked OK till I looked a little closer. I topped it off and it runs great. It dosen't take much for this bike to overheat because it dosen't hold alot of coolant. By the wat I put in some injector cleaner and it helped it run better than it ever has. I guess 4 years and 26,000+ miles will make them clog a little. And I'll be looking at that coolant level alot more often.

Ride fast and safe
If you are talking about the coolant reservoir, it is spare coolant so to speak. The system could still be full and the reservoir empty. Have you changed your antifreeze already? I believe the service on replacing it is every two years. But glad to hear that you are back up running right.

·
Registered
497 Posts
if this is happening to alot of bikes after sitting all winter? I know here in the midwest we have that Junk reformulated gas. Problem with it is it tends to breakdown faster. (have had issues with race car carb getting gummed up after just 30 days,) Have found that adding alittle stabil helps out alot with the issue. Or for your last tank of the year trying filling it with 95 oct racing fuel sold at some stations. That is non reformulated.
Just a thought

·
Registered
3,719 Posts

Ride fast and safe
Two things wrong here in my opinion Jeff....one the coolant capacity is 2.9 U.S. quarts..:eek: for a two cylinder bike that's more then enough...an american V-6 doesn't hold more then double that and that's three times the cylinders. If there is at least 2.5 quarts in there and the fan is operational it will not overheat. Two if your running 4 years and 26,000 miles without a fuel filter change and think f.i. cleaner fixed it good luck...it probably reduced enough of the black mung in the filter small enough to pass through the venturi's in the combustion chamber. Do yourself a favor before your hundreds of miles from no where...buy a filter, remove the tank,and the pump and replace it before you burn out a pump too. Based on all the reading here,our bikes should have the filter replaced at least every 15,000 miles and when you have that filter in your hand you will see what I mean.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Agree with Gramps... Replace the filter. Then run some Sea Foam through it and that should clean your fuel system out nicely.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I agree, change the filter. had to change mine at 4000 miles. If you go to a station and start to fill and the pump runs REAL slow. STOP filling your tank immediately! Pumps run real slow when the tanks get low. That's what happened to me on the way back from Americade last year. Be very careful where you get fuel. Filters for these beasts are $$$. There has to be a less expensive option. Anyone found one?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Fuel filter and pump thought

I agree, change the filter. had to change mine at 4000 miles. If you go to a station and start to fill and the pump runs REAL slow. STOP filling your tank immediately! Pumps run real slow when the tanks get low. That's what happened to me on the way back from Americade last year. Be very careful where you get fuel. Filters for these beasts are $$$. There has to be a less expensive option. Anyone found one?
Why does this bike even have a fuel pump and fuel filter in the tank?
I mean, doesn't gravity work anymore?
It seems to me that bikes used to have a fuel pet****, and an external clear fuel filter (you could see when it was getting dirty and clean it).
Just wondering on a rainy day, what do we need all this crap for. So we can get stranded?
How hard could it be to convert it to a gravity flow, pet****, filter set up?
Are we too lazy/stupid to turn on the gas anymore? Is that why we need this system?
My 97 Seadoo has a gas off/on/reserve valve.
Just wondering outloud.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
These things are fuel injected and I would assume they need a certain fuel pressure to run correctly. To get that pressure they need the pump and the filter wasn't there the pump would ingest all that crap from the tank. That's the way I understand it. But...I agree the days of a fuel shut off with reserve a dearly missed.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Happened to me a few years ago. It was bad gas. Once good gas was put in, and the crappy water filled gas purged. It ran like new again.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Hey CBR1000dude, Fuel injectors need somewhere around 35 psi (or more depending on the system) behind them to operate correctly. Can't get that from gravity. Fuel can be an issue, especially at the change over from winter to summer fuel. Without the O2 sensor the bike has to make changes through MAP and TPS. Going out on a limb here, but haven't heard the Aussie's complaining, but they may not have the same formulation either.:dontknow:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts