M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am going to replace the left side cover under the seat and need to know the best way to remove key tumbler assembly; not sure how trivial it is going to be. Any help detailing the process would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
i went through this ordeal last year. there are some bolts to remove but then it gets tricky because if i remember correctly you have to remove the rear wheel and i didn't want to go thru all that for just a helmet lock that i was never going to use.

to make a long story short a cutting wheel is your friend. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
i went through this ordeal last year. there are some bolts to remove but then it gets tricky because if i remember correctly you have to remove the rear wheel and i didn't want to go thru all that for just a helmet lock that i was never going to use.

to make a long story short a cutting wheel is your friend. :bigthumbsup:
This isn't for the helmet lock though. It's actually the left side cover that houses the lockset that releases the seat. I just want to remove the lockset from the cover to reinstall into the new cover. I haven't really dug into it yet because I'm still waiting on the new cover, but any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
sorry, i must have had a brain fart when i first read the thread. i don't know why i thought helmet lock. :doh:

·
Registered
838 Posts
Dude, it's simple. Two steps. First (after removing cover from bike) pop the cable sleeve out. Gonna need to move the cover around to be able to remove the cable from the lock. After that, pull out the clip that hold the tumbler in place.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dude, it's simple. Two steps. First (after removing cover from bike) pop the cable sleeve out. Gonna need to move the cover around to be able to remove the cable from the lock. After that, pull out the clip that hold the tumbler in place.
Awesome... thanks a bunch:bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
27,669 Posts
It is a piece of cake. Do as stated above. I have noticed that you ask a lot of how to questions on how to take things apart. Do you own a service manual? If not I think that you should get one. That way you can look things up and know for a fact that you are getting the correct information.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is a piece of cake. Do as stated above. I have noticed that you ask a lot of how to questions on how to take things apart. Do you own a service manual? If not I think that you should get one. That way you can look things up and know for a fact that you are getting the correct information.
Just got my hands on the PDF version of the service manual:bigthumbsup:
Man... it could have saved me tons of time, hassle, and frustration. The owner's manual leaves out just about everything that the service manual clears up.

-RT

G

·
Man... it could have saved me tons of time, hassle, and frustration. The owner's manual leaves out just about everything that the service manual clears up.

-RT
Pain in the dick the first time you do it. After that, it makes sense. Helper is recommended to hold the panel while you fuss.

·
Radio Active Member
27,669 Posts

-RT
That is why they sell the service manual. Some people do not like to wrench and other do. Glad to hear that you have one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts