M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today i had my new rear tire put in, since i had the wheel off, i desided to install the new updated adjustable bones.

This is my third time installing my rear wheel never had a problem, only this time it will not match the hub gears! so what i my doing wrong? I have the axle all the way in, i can slide my wheel in and out but no match at all to the hub.

What"s the trick to alligne the wheel to the hub? , any imput will be aprecited

Thank you
Joel

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Here is how I do mine. I sit on the floor on the left side of the bike. With the bike in gear slowly rotate the wheel while pulling it toward you. When it lines up you will feel it engage on the splines.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,096 Posts
Here is how I do mine. I sit on the floor on the left side of the bike. With the bike in gear slowly rotate the wheel while pulling it toward you. When it lines up you will feel it engage on the splines.
That's the way I do mine too, rotate it gently front to back while pulling hard towards the hub. You need to grab the wheel at front and back, or top and bottom, to do it. And put it in gear so the hub drive doesn't try to rotate with it.

The first time I had mine off I had a set of hard bags on it. I spent an hour trying to get it back on, then took a break for an hour and went back out. Removed the left side bag, set down on the ground, grabbed the front and back of the wheel then rotated and pulled. It went right on.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
When I have your problem, I jack the bike so the tire just touched the ground, then back the axle out of the throttle side.

Sometimes it just needs that slight misalignment to get the teeth lined up.

Once it sets in, it will stay in when you put the axle back together.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tahnks guys I have tried every way and it will not match 4 hours and nothing, will try tomorow again.....

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Joel did you have new bearings put in? When I had my wheels chromed and the new bearings went in they weren't quite in far enough making it impossible for the gear on the wheel to touch the gear on the drive shaft. I had to find a drift to put the bearing in a little further and then it worked out.

But if you didn't put in new bearings the above is irrelevant. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
After many tries this morning it finally went in, and come to think i go through rear tires ones a year, not looking foward next time..
thanks guys for ur imputs.. { i hope the kawi is not as bad!! }

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
After many tries this morning it finally went in, and come to think i go through rear tires ones a year, not looking foward next time..
thanks guys for ur imputs.. { i hope the kawi is not as bad!! }
The C14 is alot easier. I had mine off once already just to see how easy it was and it literally is a 10 minute job. Plus the centerstand makes it doable out on the road if you have to change a tire.

G

·
The C14 is alot easier. I had mine off once already just to see how easy it was and it literally is a 10 minute job. Plus the centerstand makes it doable out on the road if you have to change a tire.
Braggart. ;-)

Had my Avon Cobra put on today, and the tech had a little trouble. It was a nice learning experience see it taken apart.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.