M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:-\ Totally confused now. Drilled out ( not removed) both baffles in OEM pipes. Now I have surge especially in high torque 2nd gear . I have pmed several members and they feel like a TRE would eliminate this problem. I pmed Darren at Track Day Electonics and he was kind enough to go over symptoms of bike with me. Nice Guy! He feels like this TRE would NOT help and may make it worse than it is now. Need more fuel is his reply as TRE only makes bike think it is in 4th gear. and this won't help my problem . SOOOOO first question ,,,,,Did any of you who drilled holes in pipes experience this problem RIGHT away after said doing, I did right away. Second question ,,,,What did you do to correct problem. Cheap way of fixing please as I can't buy a power commander for this problem,,,,,,way to expensive.:pray:

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
No problems here

Pipes drilled w/o any problems.

·
Registered
51 Posts
:-\ Totally confused now. Drilled out ( not removed) both baffles in OEM pipes. Now I have surge especially in high torque 2nd gear . I have pmed several members and they feel like a TRE would eliminate this problem. I pmed Darren at Track Day Electonics and he was kind enough to go over symptoms of bike with me. Nice Guy! He feels like this TRE would NOT help and may make it worse than it is now. Need more fuel is his reply as TRE only makes bike think it is in 4th gear. and this won't help my problem . SOOOOO first question ,,,,,Did any of you who drilled holes in pipes experience this problem RIGHT away after said doing, I did right away. Second question ,,,,What did you do to correct problem. Cheap way of fixing please as I can't buy a power commander for this problem,,,,,,way to expensive.:pray:
I got the lean surge after drilling my baffles out too. I installed the Bully from Gman. I use stage 1 setting. Issue resolved.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
He feels like this TRE would NOT help and may make it worse than it is now. Need more fuel is his reply as TRE only makes bike think it is in 4th gear. and this won't help my problem.
These bikes are like most other FI bikes. From the factory, they run the first 3 gears with a retarded timing setting, mainly for emissions. 4th and 5th are pretty much a neutral setting. The reason for emulating 4th gear is so the timing is pretty neutral in all gears. Plus, it elimates the speed limiter in top gear, allowing you to run to redline in 5th (if that sort of thing, is your thing....:D ).

These bikes also come from the factory running a lean a/f mix. Once again, mainly for emissions.

A TRE will help smooth it out. Maybe completely, maybe just lessen the effect. The Bully, PowerCommander, or the FI2000R from Cobra will all help with the lean condition.

Are you still running the stock air boxes?

IMO, running both a FI controller and an ATRE, either from Healtech or the TrackDay unit will wake the beast up. Night and day difference.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Here it's commonly referred to as a 'lean surge'. Throttle response in 1st, 2nd, and sometimes 3rd is jerky at low RPMs. A TRE and/or a FI controller really help smooth it out.
I thought thats what he ment but wasnt sure, thanks for the help.
:bigthumbsup:

I go along with the others, a fuel management system should help.

109rules, did you happen to do anything to the pair valve

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nothing else touched on bike

:-\ I didn't touch any thing but baffles drill out,,,bike is way to complicated for me,,,I just like to make it sound tougher as I really really like this bike ' Fun ,,,fast,,,,,head turner bike that it is. It is cool to have people give you a thumbs up when they see your bike,,,,,ESPECIALLY in todays " But it ain't a Harley" mentality mind set. Don't get me wrong , I love Harleys too but this is off thread I guess but all you owners should know of M109s """""It's a damn cool ride AMEN"""""

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
:-\ I didn't touch any thing but baffles drill out,,,bike is way to complicated for me,,,I just like to make it sound tougher as I really really like this bike ' Fun ,,,fast,,,,,head turner bike that it is. It is cool to have people give you a thumbs up when they see your bike,,,,,ESPECIALLY in todays " But it ain't a Harley" mentality mind set. Don't get me wrong , I love Harleys too but this is off thread I guess but all you owners should know of M109s """""It's a damn cool ride AMEN"""""
PM sent. :bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,852 Posts
I didn't have any issues when I had mine drilled out, but I can say that a fuel manager makes even a stock bike run smoother.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Going with basic Atre for now

:beer2: Heres to all who replied to thread on lean surge. I quit drinking thirty years ago ( fell down too much on nose) but a toast to all who gave me good input . Trying out basic Atre from Darren at Track Day Electronics first ,,,,only 28 plus shipping.Then wait and play with bike rest of riding season ( about 2 more weeks here in Mn.) hope it does a quick fix but I seem to have karma that says NAAAAAAA Lets screw with ya some more before I'm done with ya.:D

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
bike runs better But .......

:-[ Put ATRE in today. Bike feels alot smoother running the gears. Less backfire and smoother throttle response,,,,,,yet still got great power. BUT the real problem of 2nd gear surge at high throttle is still there.:dontknow: I knew gremlins wouldn't let me off that easy. If I ride it easy in second,,,,,no slippage but crank on her around 2500 rpm or so and ,,,,,,,slip she does . Go figure huh? Any body else got idea I'm all ears. Keeping ATRE on cause like I said , it does help with throttle response

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,852 Posts
:-[ Put ATRE in today. Bike feels alot smoother running the gears. Less backfire and smoother throttle response,,,,,,yet still got great power. BUT the real problem of 2nd gear surge at high throttle is still there.:dontknow: I knew gremlins wouldn't let me off that easy. If I ride it easy in second,,,,,no slippage but crank on her around 2500 rpm or so and ,,,,,,,slip she does . Go figure huh? Any body else got idea I'm all ears. Keeping ATRE on cause like I said , it does help with throttle response
I'm confused. Is it surging or is the clutch slipping? From you statement there it sounds like when you hit the throttle in second it slips.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I'm confused. Is it surging or is the clutch slipping? From you statement there it so

That's what is confusing to me also:dontknow: I don't have a issue in any gear except second. The rest run out fine,,,,even if I power down hard. But put it in second and let her rip ,and opps feels like slip and then grab . No problem when I do that same thing in other gears.... Think .....think.....think. I count on you guys cause I know some of you folks are really engine smart. I know how to change oil,,, plugs and such , but that's it . ??? Could be still lean in second and after you throttle it some it comes alive.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,852 Posts
Does it do this kind of violently, like it's slipping in and out of gear? You could have some worn shift arms or the dogs on the gears are getting worn, and it's actually slipping in and out of gear. Second is always the first one to go.

Make sure you are getting it in gear fully.

A lean surge won't feel like the bike jumps, it just goes down on power a little then comes back up. It does it so little it would be hard to emulate it with the throttle.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts