M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the Kyryakyn rear lights on my 109, P/N 2372.  I'm having a problem with the wiring.  These lights according to Kuryakyn are suppose to function as BOTH  running lights and turn signals.  For anyone who has installed these lights, you know each light has three wires, a blue (running), a violet (turn signal) and a black (ground). 

The 109 rear wire harness from the stock lights though is different from the front.  In the rear of the 109 there is a green wire for one turn signal, a black wire for the other turn signal, and two black/white wires which are grounds.

So, I wired the violet of the Kuryakyn lights into the 109 green and black wires; and the black (ground) of Kuryakyn lights into the 109 black/white grounds.  No problems - the turn signals work great  :bigthumbsup:

Now that leaves me with the blue wires (the running lights) of the Kuryakyn lights.  I've tried running those into the running light wire of the break light, and into the wire for the license plate light - and each time, I get a bleed through. 

What happens is this:  When the running lights of the Kuryakyn's are wired into the bike and you on a turn signal the opposite rear light also blinks erratictly!  It makes no difference.  Put on the left turn signal and it blinks fine, but the left light blinks erratictly, and visa-versa.  I've also tried hooking up these blue running light wires direct to a 12v wire off of the fuse box, but still it bleeds through.

This is driving me crazy  :edit:  I don't know  :dontknow: what else to try.  Has anyone experienced the same problem?  Is there anyone using their rear Kuryakyn lights as both turn signals and running lights?  If so, could you PLEASE give me your wiring methods.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I had the exact same problem on my V-Star 1100 not too long ago. Professionally installed rear silver bullets setup as both turn and running lights. I noticed the exact same issue you just mentioned, when one turn signal is on the other blinks erratically. The funny thing is I could only reproduce the problem when the bike was actually running. It would not do it, at least not that I noticed, with the key in the on position & the engine off. Fortunately or unfortunately, I traded in the V-Star for the M109R before the problem was rectified so I was never able to confirm a 'fix'. I know it doesn't help you out but I am literally minutes away from installing these lights on front an rear and will also need to know how to get them to work properly.

Perhaps you could try hooking it into the running light wire for the front turn signals as a test? As per a post by Lamonster on the wiring for front Kury's "Green on the 109 goes to blue on the Kury light (Running Light)". Here is a link to the post for wiring up the front in case it helps.

http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=2792.0

·
Registered
237 Posts
EZRider44 said:
I had the exact same problem on my V-Star 1100 not too long ago. Professionally installed rear silver bullets setup as both turn and running lights. I noticed the exact same issue you just mentioned, when one turn signal is on the other blinks erratically. The funny thing is I could only reproduce the problem when the bike was actually running. It would not do it, at least not that I noticed, with the key in the on position & the engine off. Fortunately or unfortunately, I traded in the V-Star for the M109R before the problem was rectified so I was never able to confirm a 'fix'. I know it doesn't help you out but I am literally minutes away from installing these lights on front an rear and will also need to know how to get them to work properly.

Perhaps you could try hooking it into the running light wire for the front turn signals as a test? As per a post by Lamonster on the wiring for front Kury's "Green on the 109 goes to blue on the Kury light (Running Light)". Here is a link to the post for wiring up the front in case it helps.

http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=2792.0
I just tried wiring my Kury LED lights (#2361) both alone (blue wire to grey brake power wire) and with the run-turn-brake module and they both seem to work fine. Now, the bike was not running but the key was in the 'on' position. As I stated in the post above I only noticed this issue on my V-Star when the engine was running... perhaps a load issue with the engine on?? Tomorrow I will try it with the engine on and see where I stand but as of right now everything looks good. Also, I had to use the load balancer as the signals were blinking too fast.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
EZRider44 said:
I just tried wiring my Kury LED lights (#2361) both alone (blue wire to grey brake power wire) and with the run-turn-brake module and they both seem to work fine. Now, the bike was not running but the key was in the 'on' position. As I stated in the post above I only noticed this issue on my V-Star when the engine was running... perhaps a load issue with the engine on?? Tomorrow I will try it with the engine on and see where I stand but as of right now everything looks good. Also, I had to use the load balancer as the signals were blinking too fast.
Thanks for the help, but the P/N 2361 are the Kuryakyn's for the front of the bike (amber). I have not had any problems at all with the front lights, but the wiring on the 109 for the front lights is different than the wiring for the rear lights. The rear lights (red) are P/N 2372. And you're right on.....just like on your V-Star, the problem I've described is only after the bike is started. If I turn it on at the ignition switch without starting the engine, the turning signals and running lights perform as they're supposed to, but once I turn over the engine the problem starts. Man, this is got me really pulling my hair out. I've spoken to Kuryakyn three times already and they keep sending me on a wild goose wiring chase. Problem is that I don't think they know the wiring of the 109 as good as I do now, and I'm really starting to think they have a design flaw in their rear lights (P/N 2372). I'm planning on speaking with them again tomorrow.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Investor said:
I installed the Kyryakyn rear lights on my 109, P/N 2372. I'm having a problem with the wiring. These lights according to Kuryakyn are suppose to function as BOTH running lights and turn signals. For anyone who has installed these lights, you know each light has three wires, a blue (running), a violet (turn signal) and a black (ground).Â

The 109 rear wire harness from the stock lights though is different from the front. In the rear of the 109 there is a green wire for one turn signal, a black wire for the other turn signal, and two black/white wires which are grounds.

So, I wired the violet of the Kuryakyn lights into the 109 green and black wires; and the black (ground) of Kuryakyn lights into the 109 black/white grounds. No problems - the turn signals work great :bigthumbsup:

Now that leaves me with the blue wires (the running lights) of the Kuryakyn lights. I've tried running those into the running light wire of the break light, and into the wire for the license plate light - and each time, I get a bleed through.Â

What happens is this: When the running lights of the Kuryakyn's are wired into the bike and you on a turn signal the opposite rear light also blinks erratictly! It makes no difference. Put on the left turn signal and it blinks fine, but the left light blinks erratictly, and visa-versa. I've also tried hooking up these blue running light wires direct to a 12v wire off of the fuse box, but still it bleeds through.

This is driving me crazy :edit: I don't know :dontknow: what else to try. Has anyone experienced the same problem? Is there anyone using their rear Kuryakyn lights as both turn signals and running lights? If so, could you PLEASE give me your wiring methods.
I'm not quite following you on your rear wiring grounds. There are separate connectors for each rear light on opposite sides of the bike. Are you tying in to the main harness?
I highly recommend getting the Kury run/turn/brake controller #4710 with these lights. It's not too expensive and is designed for what you are doing. I can't believe Kury didn't tell you this. This will take care of your problem as the rear stock lights are not wired for run and turn as you know. I installed this with my Kury large LEDS and couldn't be happier. The added brake feature is fantastic for visibility. It also has a feature that makes the brakes blink three times for additional safety (it can be turned off though) Also, I don't know if your lights are LED's but the controller has an easy plug in for the load equalizer. I tucked my controller in the chrome fender strut and wiring is a piece of cake. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Sounds to me like a loading issue with the LED's. I would look at getting a load equalizer and seeing if the issue goes away. I'm thinking the reason the issue only shows up when the bike is running is that when its on the battery there isn't enough juice for the bleed-over to occur, but when the engine is running the magneto on the bike pushes enough extra current to allow this to happen.

Having said that I will admit that I've not had time to do more than plan out mods on my bike so I can't actually confirm anything myself, altho these are the turn signals I was planning to use also.

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
bige said:
I'm not quite following you on your rear wiring grounds. There are separate connectors for each rear light on opposite sides of the bike. Are you tying in to the main harness?
I highly recommend getting the Kury run/turn/brake controller #4710 with these lights. It's not too expensive and is designed for what you are doing. I can't believe Kury didn't tell you this. This will take care of your problem as the rear stock lights are not wired for run and turn as you know. I installed this with my Kury large LEDS and couldn't be happier. The added brake feature is fantastic for visibility. It also has a feature that makes the brakes blink three times for additional safety (it can be turned off though) Also, I don't know if your lights are LED's but the controller has an easy plug in for the load equalizer. I tucked my controller in the chrome fender strut and wiring is a piece of cake. Good luck!
I think you have the best idea yet. :bigthumbsup: I know on the VTX C model we had to add a diode because the LED's would feed back throught the idiot light.

http://directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=5838&str=290

·
Registered
237 Posts
Well here is what I have run into so far. I have the #2361's in the front and a run/turn/brake controller with #2361's in the rear as well. The rear is running perfectly fine but the front ones are doing the randon blinking issue. Strange thing is it's not occurring when the turn signal is on, it's actually happening when running normally one will randomly blink once then back to normal?? This will repeat itself at random... weird!

·
Registered
237 Posts
EZRider44 said:
Well here is what I have run into so far. I have the #2361's in the front and a run/turn/brake controller with #2361's in the rear as well. The rear is running perfectly fine but the front ones are doing the randon blinking issue. Strange thing is it's not occurring when the turn signal is on, it's actually happening when running normally one will randomly blink once then back to normal?? This will repeat itself at random... weird!
Okay, I checked and soldered all my connections and added load equalizers to the front (this is on top of the 2 that were already installed into the run/turn/brake controller). As of right now everything seems to be working fine with no erratic blinking issues... finally!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.