M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered some bungee nuts and when they arrived I unscrewed the rear bolt, removed the nut on the inside, swapped it around and attached the new bungee nut on the outside.
Could not be easier...
Till you do the front. When I unscrewed the bolt the nut inside the fender did not come off!!
Both sides are like that.

Has anyone replaced these? What is my next step? could I just thread the bolt THROUGH the nut inside the fender and see if it came out far
enough to attach the bungee??
It is tough to see under there. Any help would be appreciated

Sledzep

·
Registered
414 Posts
This reminds me of the fun I had replacing those on my Volusia...I want to get a set of those too...I hope you get an answer...

·
Registered
21 Posts
It's been a while since I put mine on, but I think mine was the same way. I think the front nut is attached. Go ahead and thread the bungee bolt through it and see what happens.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Could you please let me know from where did you order the bungee bolts and how much they cost. BTW what does Lamonster mean "just thread the bolt." Does it involve the use of a special tool? Thanks.

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lamonster said:
Rear nut is the only one that comes off. Just thread the front one in.
unfortunatley that does not work with the stock bolt. It is not threaded all the way to the head so you cant screw it all the way in.
Home Depot here I come

Sledzep

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
sledzep01 said:
unfortunatley that does not work with the stock bolt. It is not threaded all the way to the head so you cant screw it all the way in.
Home Depot here I come

Sledzep
They come with the right alen head bolts. I'm not sure what the problem is. You shouldn't be using any stock bolts.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
sledzep01 said:
Embarrased to say I did not purchase these at DLP....

The PCIII and others yes, but not these.

Sledzep
Sled,

I did this mod some time ago. Buy a longer bolt & I drilled out the nut with I believe 3/8" drill (I just bought a slightly longer bolt which would screw into the bungee nuts). I then inserted the longer bolt from the back side and tightened up the bunge nut to the bolt. If you get too long of bolts, You will not be able to tighten the bungee nuts to take out all the slack.

Chuck

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chuck said:
Sled,

I did this mod some time ago. Buy a longer bolt & I drilled out the nut with I believe 3/8" drill (I just bought a slightly longer bolt which would screw into the bungee nuts). I then inserted the longer bolt from the back side and tightened up the bunge nut to the bolt. If you get too long of bolts, You will not be able to tighten the bungee nuts to take out all the slack.

Chuck
THNX
I saw some posts on it. I will search for a correct bolt first, then grab the drill if I have to.

Sledzep

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, triple dog dare edit here....

In the end ACE did not have a bolt long enough for the front bungee nuts.
After much driving around I was sent to "Threads for the South"

Naturally they are right around the corner, and had I known about them I would have gone straight there.
I was able to pick up 2 M8 1.25 pitch 80mm long STAINLESS bolts for $3 flat. They are installed and I am happy.
You want pics, but I dont have any right now....

I asked and they will ship anything anywhere if you pay the freight.

If you need some call Jason Payne @ 770-425-3787 (no website)

Sledzep

On Edit.....

OOOPS!! They had exactly the bolt I asked for... the same length as the original I brought in... But it needs to be a little longer
to go the other way??? Itightened it all the way in from the inside but it still needed to be longer. I thik they will have it though.

OK Sing it with me.....

:hot: :hot: Ace is the place with the helpful hardware man :hot: :hot:

I wen to ace Ace Hardware around the corner and Voila!! He wips out the perfect bolt!! $1.05 each plus tax.

Sledzep

1 - 13 of 13 Posts