M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... I have had more then my share of races in the last few months but all from a rolling start. So I am pretty comfortable with dropping down a couple gears and hammering the throttle when the need arises.

BUT... Last night I'm riding home from the local college hangout and a nice looking bike with a savage sounding exhaust pulls along side of me at about 30Mph or so. I look over at him and he is giving me the "nice bike"  :bigthumbsup: that we have all seen. Then outta nowhere he just Hammers the throttle. Not being one to walk away from a chance to run my 109 I downshift and proceed to show this person the error in his ways... After about 30' or so I have made up the lost ground and am passing him.

So... at the next light we stop, he pulls up along side me and gives me the standard "Wow Nice Bike" etc... He then comments on how he has never had a V twin beat him in a race and asks if I mind running him from a dead stop. Off course I accepted...  :eek:

We pull off into a long, straight, seldom patrolled  :cop: back road and set up at the stop sign. He does a burn out while I sit there and wait...

Then he counts out...
1 (I run the tach up to about 3 grand), 2, 3  :a18: , go.... 

I ease the clutch out and roll into the throttle as the 260 Metzeler comes crazy loose (I was running 38psi in the rear, 36 in the front) :dontknow: . Knowing that I am losing time with the wheel spinning I back out of the throttle a little in an effort to get some grip back in the rear wheel. I feel the back tire gain traction again and nail the throttle. Much to my unexpected suprise the front tire pulls off the ground what felt like about a foot :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:  :D  :evil:  :yikes: :yikes:

I again EASE out of the throttle to let the front end settle. Once I am sure the back is gripping and front end is staying down I get back to business...

I did BARELY manage to stay ahead of him during this, and once I hit second gear he never got up next to me again. At about 120 I shut it down and pull off to the side of the road. He pulls over congratulates me, tells me I have the fastest VTwin he has ever run, and that he has never seen a big cruiser pull a wheelie like I did (I didn't tell him it was an accident, although he probably knew :D )

So... I'm feeling like the king of the hill now!!  :bigthumbsup:  :D

BUT... Then he proceeds to tell me that his bike is a 750 Magna. He told me he had done alot of work to it, pipes, jetting the carb, etc...

But I'm thinking that given I have over twice the displacement he has, and that I didn't just absolutely smoke him, that I didnt run very well. I went from feeling like King of the hill to being unhappy with the run  :(  

I think If I were running a mod'd V-Rod or VTX-1800 in this race I would have lost  :yikes: .
So the question for all of you racers out there... Whats the trick to avoiding the problems I had when I launched? What did I do wrong?  :dontknow:
:doorag:

·
Registered
665 Posts
Don't beat yer self up too bad. The 750 Magna ain't no slouch. With a light rider(who can ride) it's damm quick for what it is. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I agree with Ron. The Magna is a fast V-4 engined bike. You wouldn't feel bad losing to a CBR 600, would you? Those V-4's make some serious power, in fact it has the same engine as the Interceptor, which has one of the best "all around" ratings I've ever seen. Great bikes, really fast, great motors. I haven't had to run my bike from a dead stop yet so I'm not sure I can answer your questions. On my VTX 1800 I never laid rubber or did a wheelie, but that bike took off like a rocket when I used to race my buddy on his 1800 GoldWing all the time. Oh, and I usually won. ;) :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
292 Posts
yeah the 750 is quick.....your lucky it wasent the 1100....and dont race a v-max
follow the link below....it will take you to a web site that has an old article.....with all the times posted for the old v-4s

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im glad to hear you all say the 750 Magna is a fast bike... It seemed pretty quick, and the guy did tell me he hadn't lost to a V-twin before racing me. He also said he has taken alot of VTX1800's... But I wasn't sure, for all I knew he was talking smack...  :D

BlackCherry, No... I wouldn't be to terribly bothered by losing to a Crotch Rocket, but not knowing much about the Magna I didn't put it in the same category. His bike looked like a somewhat customized cruiser... It was a pretty nice looking bike and sounded great!

The Suprise wheelie was definately un-nerving... But at least now I know my bike will/can do it, and what it feels like. :bigthumbsup:

ITGuy... what pressures do you run at the track?

Thanks for the feedback!
:doorag:

·
Registered
890 Posts
Ok..you guys are creating monsters on this board...nobody around here will even look like they want a race. I have two friends that own Harleys, one a 1200 Sportster the other a 1600 Night Train with the screemin eagle kit and neither will go...they even tell their other buddies ..."Don't Even Try" sucks....guess thats the price you pay for having the BADDAS cruza on the block...
Good Kill :bigthumbsup:

Devilish

·
Registered
770 Posts
The luanch at 2000-2500 is good.Ihad a magna for my first bike and kept up w/ cbr600f3 carbed not F.I. they are pretty quick but slow up around 100mph never could get it over 140mph just wouldn't go sliped th clutch to get more r's and everything nice race . :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
The only time I've ever run a bike from a standstill, I was at a light. I had never just dumped the clutch before, so like you, I was wondering how to do it best. Then the light changed when I wasn't expecting it, so I just hit the throttle at the same time I dumped the clutch. Rear wheel got squirrly and left a 20' black line, but I just stayed one it. Couldn't contain my huge smile when I stopped at the next light. Man that was fun.... even if it wasn't a perfect launch. I could feel the front end get real light, but I don't think it ever lifted.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Medic1210 said:
The only time I've ever run a bike from a standstill, I was at a light. I had never just dumped the clutch before, so like you, I was wondering how to do it best. Then the light changed when I wasn't expecting it, so I just hit the throttle at the same time I dumped the clutch. Rear wheel got squirrly and left a 20' black line, but I just stayed one it. Couldn't contain my huge smile when I stopped at the next light. Man that was fun.... even if it wasn't a perfect launch. I could feel the front end get real light, but I don't think it ever lifted.
The only reason I can think of that the tire lifted is that in the time I was spinning the tire I managed to get it a little sticky... so when I backed out of the throttle to stop it from spinning, then got back into it, the rear end hooked up real well. It definately caught me off guard! :yikes:

I will admit when it was all said and done, and the other rider was commenting on never seeing a big cruiser pull the front wheel, I did get a big Sheeeet eatin' grin on my face...  :D

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ITguy said:
I've tried varying pressures on the track from 27-42. I like the range of 29-33 the best for the track.  However, I pump it back up to 40-42 as soon as I pull it out of the trailer before doing any street riding. Forgot once and didn't like the way it handled with 29psi in the rear.
I have found I dont much care for how it handles on the twisties with less then 36lbs in the rear...

Im running 38 now because the Metzelers say they have a MAX tire pressure of 42... I didnt want to push it to high, although I may bump it up to 40 this weekend and see how it rides.

Perhaps when I know I am going out in town on bike night where I will probably end up in a race I will lower the pressures before I leave the house... to around 33ish...
This will help the tire hook up better right? Of course then a wheelie becomes more likely... :dontknow:

Man I sure do love this bike!! :doorag:

·
Registered
543 Posts
That is a sleaper dude.that is a great bike,but just can't go down in cc's.I even knew what it was and how fast and still bought a 1100,because it was so small. Like another said the 1100 big brother of that bike they stop making was a bad boy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.