M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a present from my sister. Some 1.75" lowering bones and a 24 pc. LED light strip that I would like to link to my brakes right underneath the cowling. I don't have a jack and really would prefer to do the work myself than take it to the shop and pay them outrageous amounts. They should arrive sometime this week, so next week would be the best, just in time for the Ocean City ride. Is there anyone around the Newport News, Hampton, Richmond VA area that could help me out with that. PM me or call me at 910-364-5979.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just installed 2" bones on my bike and this is the how to that I used:
http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100957

It was very simple and took about an hour and a half, although, I could do it much quicker now.

As for the LEDs, I wanted to do something like the Raw Designs turn signal/running lights so I bought some of the LED strips from Autozone. I tried to put them under the cowl but never could get them to look quite right. The Raw Designs lights are on a bracket that mounts under the cowl and I think that you would either need to make a bracket or just stick the strip to the bottom edge of the cowl. I wound up putting the strips along the edge of my tail light and using them as signals.
http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132446

Good luck.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Did them myself also

Hey Gigantor, I was in the exact same boat. I bought a jack at Sears for $100 bucks and followed the picture instuctions posted by our fellow members(locknlod's link) and it was not hard. Dealer wanted $150. My wife and I did the whole change in about a hour and a half, and I now have my jack. Couple of important notes that a got from the process.

1. Loosen the nuts on the old bones and the shock before you jack er up. The nuts are on very tight and its easier with the bike on the ground to "reef" on em.

2. Jack placement is important, cuz the shock has to drop down to line up with the new bones. So place the jack forward enough when looking under the bike that you can see that the shock will drop down.

3. To align the shock with the new bones, simply adjust the rear wheel with the jack until it lines up.

Otherwise its not that tough. Good luck!!!!!! Vin

·
Registered
838 Posts
Hey Gigantor, I was in the exact same boat. I bought a jack at Sears for $100 bucks and followed the picture instuctions posted by our fellow members(locknlod's link) and it was not hard. Dealer wanted $150. My wife and I did the whole change in about a hour and a half, and I now have my jack. Couple of important notes that a got from the process.

1. Loosen the nuts on the old bones and the shock before you jack er up. The nuts are on very tight and its easier with the bike on the ground to "reef" on em.

2. Jack placement is important, cuz the shock has to drop down to line up with the new bones. So place the jack forward enough when looking under the bike that you can see that the shock will drop down.

3. To align the shock with the new bones, simply adjust the rear wheel with the jack until it lines up.

Otherwise its not that tough. Good luck!!!!!! Vin
:agree::agree: I didn't have my jack foward enough for the shock to drop down. It was interesting relocating the jack. Bike was still sitting on jack when completely down.
Invest in the jack. money well spent. :bigthumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts