M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i pick up my.......RED ROCKET.....Saturday   :bigthumbsup:

I have a 100+ mile ride home from the dealer , if theres any problem with oil over fill  :mad:  how soon will i know ?
Should i take a 10 mile test ride before heading home ?  Also how concerned should i be about maintaining any certain
speed for any extended time. Also would appreciate any other concerns i should address as i live too far to go back for anything minor. 

The ...RED.... ROCKS !   :hot: :hot: :hot:
 
G

·
Re: The Ride Home ?

Post pics when you get it! We all want to see pics of the hotter red one!  :bigthumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,637 Posts
Re: The Ride Home ?

wildwolf said:
Red? This the first 2007 out on the board?
Second '07 (Hollywood has the other)...................but it is the first red one :bigthumbsup: ....

and yes we need pics of in the sunlight :D

Yes, I would take aleast a 10 mile test ride(probably longer :p) before hitting the road home.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,103 Posts
Re: The Ride Home ?

before you head home, ride it for 15 minutes, shut it off for exactly 3 minutes just like the book says and unscrew the dipstick then wipe it off and just set it back into the hole without screwing it in. Pull it back out and read the oild level. It may take a couple stabs as the oils seems to stay real clean/clear but if you lookat it just right you can see where it is at. I always use the clock on the bike so that when I get home from work I leave it running until the minute changes over to the next full one then push the side stand down with the key still on. This will kill the engine but with the key on the clock will tick over the 3 minutes so you can see. :bigthumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,102 Posts
Re: The Ride Home ?

ppridgen1 said:
just let it idle ,you don't have to ride it ,then do the oil check......you should mention this to the dealer.....may want to make him a bet for accessoeries or something.......chances are pretty good you'll win somethingat least :bigthumbsup: :super: :joke:
yeah why ride it, check it the proper way before you leave. :bigthumbsup: :super: :doorag:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: The Ride Home ?

bad109 said:
yeah why ride it, check it the proper way before you leave.  :bigthumbsup: :super: :doorag:
Well i figured id ride and check everything out on the bike ! I understand what you guys are saying about checking the oil though :bigthumbsup: I will check it that way , so theres not a big mess to clean up :mad:
Anything else i should be looking for ? Also what about maintaining highway speeds on the way home ? , should i be worried about doing 70 for any length of time ? Have a solid 1.5 hrs home. :bigthumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
Re: The Ride Home ?

break in speed? i did a dyno run on mine the day i bought it,about 60 mi.on the speedo,lol.
purple side up!
ACTION :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
600 Posts
Re: The Ride Home ?

Don't let it drone on and on in one gear the whole way. Vary the speed 5 or 10 MPH once in a while and run it in 4th gear some. Good luck with the oil situation. Also, check to be sure the front wheel is mounted correctly. The cutouts in the front wheel should follow the pattern of the rear wheel... valve stem on the left, as you're sitting on the bike. Nice choice with the Red :bigthumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
While the dealer is prepping the bike, have him check under the left side air filter cover to be sure that the hose clamps are tight to prevent coolant leak. Common problem on the 06.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
taijiman said:
While the dealer is prepping the bike, have him check under the left side air filter cover to be sure that the hose clamps are tight to prevent coolant leak. Comm
on problem on the 06.
Thks Bro :bigthumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,102 Posts
make sure your tire is on the right way and the pinch bolts are tight. :bigthumbsup: :super: :doorag:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
211 Posts
Make sure your front wheel was install in the proper direction and that the bolts that hold the front fender are tight (will need an allen). Also get a bottle of the shaft oil (only 4.00 dollars) and check it when you get home. Most people I know only got half of the level. My bike had less that 4 oz when it should have almost 8 oz. I didn't find out until my 600 miles tune up.
Other than those little details and the oil level the bike will be a great ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,637 Posts
Latinbid said:
My bike had less that 4 oz when it should have almost 8 oz. I didn't find out until my 600 miles tune up.
+1 on that , same here :confused:
 
G

·
CC Rider said:
Ok i pick up my.......RED ROCKET.....Saturday  :bigthumbsup:

I have a 100+ mile ride home from the dealer , if theres any problem with oil over fill :mad: how soon will i know ?
Should i take a 10 mile test ride before heading home ? Also how concerned should i be about maintaining any certain
speed for any extended time. Also would appreciate any other concerns i should address as i live too far to go back for anything minor.Â

The ...RED.... ROCKS !  :hot: :hot: :hot:
Dude if you have 100 miles from the dealer do the Oil check before you head home. Ride for 15 minutes and check to OIL follow the book. If it is not right go back right then and get it right.

After that do not jump on the freeway, slap the snot out of it and then let it settle down get some lunch.

After lunch, slap the snot out of it again and get some water for break.

After water break slap the snot out of it again. Then ride home adjusting the speed every 5 minutes or so, 65, 70, 60 , 80, 65, 70, 60 80.

When you get home change the oil and filter and start over.

Beat it like the [email protected]#$ that it is. And then start over.

You need to load the rings and bike. So again, slap the snot out of it.

TAZ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,102 Posts
raw_taz said:
Dude if you have 100 miles from the dealer do the Oil check before you head home. Ride for 15 minutes and check to OIL follow the book. If it is not right go back right then and get it right.

After that do not jump on the freeway, slap the snot out of it and then let it settle down get some lunch.

After lunch, slap the snot out of it again and get some water for break.

After water break slap the snot out of it again. Then ride home adjusting the speed every 5 minutes or so, 65, 70, 60 , 80, 65, 70, 60 80.

When you get home change the oil and filter and start over.

Beat it like the [email protected]#$ that it is. And then start over.

You need to load the rings and bike. So again, slap the snot out of it.

TAZ
+1. thats what i did before switching to full synthetic after a coupla changes with dyno oil.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
211 Posts
Hey Bro, did you make it OK? Let us know... ;)
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top