M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 06 M109r with 24000 miles. wile gone on a bike trip i started my 9 and it would not take gas i try to give it gas and it just dye out and dye and then was very hard to get started back. I drove it to a small town cause i was in bfe and put in some fuel inj cleaner. After awhile it was like some one fliped a switch it strarted runing fine. I rode it all the way home about 1000 miles with no trouble. then last sat took it for a ride it ran great i got to where i was going and let it set for about an hr when i got back on it was doing the same thing would not take gas and back firing. then all of a sudden it started running fine. It did this all the way home every time i turned it off. it would run crappy then start running good. Has anyone had this problem with there 9? and what did you find to be wrong with it? It also at a idle it will idle up to around 2100 rpm and i have to rev it up to get it to idle back down to put it in gear. Any help would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
maybe a fuel filter :dontknow:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No power com. And i dont see it being pulgs or fuel filter because it comes and goes. If it was one of those you would think it would do it all the time or have a bad lose of power even when it was running good. But when its running good it runs like a raped ape. The fuel filter and plugs has about 14000 miles on them. How offten should pulgs and fuel be replaced?

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Try taking apart your gas cap and inspect and clean. With this heat it might be vapor lock. If that does not do it change the fuel screen. They are real pieces of crap and it does not take much to clog them up. I am putting in #3 at 23500 miles. Good luck and let us know what fixes it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I put my money on the filter inside the tank. Do a search, I can't remember exactly what it's called. Mine did the same thing. Changed the filter, never had another problem. IF that turns out to not be the problem, change it anyway, it'll need sooner or later.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok no it wasn't raining. The only mods that have been done is I have drilled holes in the end of the exhaust. The light on the dash did not come on. After it happen the first time I drove around 800 miles be for it done it again. It only does it when its hot. After I ride somewhere an then turn it off an let it set for a few min. I explained what it was doing to the zuki tech an he said it sounded like a cam sensor or throttle sensor. I'm taking it to the shop in the morn maybe the money I paid for the extra warranty will come in some use. I don't see how if its the fuel filter or screen why would it start running good wile I'm driving it usually if its something like that the engine has to be shut off so the debris can float away from the filter. That has been my experience. I was hoping someone had this problem an could steer me in the right direction.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I think the filter issues may be caused by the Ethanol in the gas. I also think its exasperated by infrequent riding. I change at least one tank a week and I wonder if keeping the fuel fresh keeps that crap (ethanol)from causing problems :dontknow:

Am I crazy?

Warrantys are nice :D :bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
27,665 Posts
I have a 06 M109r with 24000 miles. wile gone on a bike trip i started my 9 and it would not take gas i try to give it gas and it just dye out and dye and then was very hard to get started back. I drove it to a small town cause i was in bfe and put in some fuel inj cleaner. After awhile it was like some one fliped a switch it strarted runing fine. I rode it all the way home about 1000 miles with no trouble. then last sat took it for a ride it ran great i got to where i was going and let it set for about an hr when i got back on it was doing the same thing would not take gas and back firing. then all of a sudden it started running fine. It did this all the way home every time i turned it off. it would run crappy then start running good. Has anyone had this problem with there 9? and what did you find to be wrong with it? It also at a idle it will idle up to around 2100 rpm and i have to rev it up to get it to idle back down to put it in gear. Any help would be great. Thanks
I do not get what you mean by it would not take gas.

When you turn your key on does everything light up and does it go through the start up motions like normal(SET squeek, fuel pump sound)?

Does it crank over but won't run?

If I understand you correctly it sounds more electrical to me.

"It only does it when its hot." is what points me in that above direction. It is just one of those things that it has to happen and then you start tracing it out to determin what is not working.

intermittant problems are usually electrical. I would be checking grounds and wiring connectors.
:agree::agree:

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
if you have a solid piece of material in the filter or lines it could be moving around and partially clogging. Now that you say it happens only when warm it could be electrical or even a week fuel pump. Most electrical problems either work or dont work though. Anyway good luck and let us know what happened.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes when I turn the key on all the lights in the dash comes on an I can hear the fuel pump come on and build pressure. I do hear all the sweeks an noise that I have always heard when key is turned on. What I mean by it won't take gas is when i start it after it has been riding an is hot it will start and idea just fin until you try to give it gas. When I turn the throttle it will rev up a little then just fowl out the only way I can explain it is it acts like a cab bike with choke fully on smothering it out. Sometimes it will dye an then when I try to restart it just cranks an I half to turn key off an on an keep trying to start till it runs. When I rev it up it will also back fire. But like I said it don't do this all the time. After the first time it happened I put about 800 miles on it be for it did it again. I will be riding down the road an it won't take gas has no power an its like someone flips a switch an its running great again and will until I turn it back off but it don't do this every time I turn it off. I hope this helps I'm trying to explain the best I can. It was raining this morn when I got up for work so it didn't make it to the shop today.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts