M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No!!! not really. What I do need to know is.....
Do you guys just need an excuse to dress up like its halloween every time you ride?????

I've been on a bike since I was 5. I raced moto x for 6yrs, and have been on diirt ,or street bikes my whole life, what I don't get, is every time I show up for a ride with a group of guys why in the hell they are all dressed in leather, chaps, jackets, vest, dew rags, in 100 deg weather.
I understand the need to wear proper protective gear, but most of these guys ride like my grandma.

I don't meen to offend anybody, but to you guys just getting started, I'm pretty sure your not gonna impress anyone with your clothes.

Probably, out of line, just me 2 cents

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
:a20::a20::a20:

I guess its whatever you feel comfortable with. I wish helmets weren't required down here in VA cause it is stinkin' hot!!!

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
When i do an "around the town" ride (like today) i have nothing more than jeans, t-shirt and my half helmet... .. When i know i'm headed out for a long/hard run, I'll throw on a full face, gloves and a textile jacket..
:agree:
I ride a LOT more cautiously when I'm not dressed like a stuntman.

with the leathers and helmet... Evel Knivel:D

·
Registered
685 Posts
I dunno :dontknow: I ride with jeans, t-shirt, and a half helmet unless it gets
cold. When I'm in NH I don't even wear the helmet.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I think what the OP is talking about is not so much the jacket and helmet,but the vest, dew rag... so you look like what you think a biker should look like.

I love showing up to a place with bikes outside and walking in and being able to spot the posers all decked out so that everyone knows that they have a bike outside. They likely live within a mile of the place and this is the farthest they have been from home on the bike without a trailer. From there, they will ride to the bar down the block and from there to the bar on the next block, then home before it gets dark or because there is a grey cloud in the sky, so they can spend 3 hours spit-shining their bike.

Humor them. Let them think they are bikers.

LOL

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
I think what the OP is talking about is not so much the jacket and helmet,but the vest, dew rag... so you look like what you think a biker should look like.

I love showing up to a place with bikes outside and walking in and being able to spot the posers all decked out so that everyone knows that they have a bike outside. They likely live within a mile of the place and this is the farthest they have been from home on the bike without a trailer. From there, they will ride to the bar down the block and from there to the bar on the next block, then home before it gets dark or because there is a grey cloud in the sky, so they can spend 3 hours spit-shining their bike.

Humor them. Let them think they are bikers.

LOL
:agree:

·
Registered
497 Posts
my ex-wife loved snowmobiling becouse it ment a new wardrob

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
When i do an "around the town" ride (like today) i have nothing more than jeans, t-shirt and my half helmet... .. When i know i'm headed out for a long/hard run, I'll throw on a full face, gloves and a textile jacket..
:agree: i'll be honest, when i do an "around the town" ride, i don't even wear a brain bucket. just a pair of shades.

full face, gloves, and jacket for the longer backroads rides.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Well, I'm a new rider and I'm making it a point to wear an armored and perforated leather jacket, full face helmet, leather gloves, riding boots and reinforced jeans over knee/shin guards every time I ride no matter how far I plan to ride. Why? Not because I want to look cool……. but because I'm a NEW RIDER. I have two friends that were seriously injured after having driven less than 2 miles and going less than 10 mph only because they were not wearing a helmet. I don't consider myself a "biker", I'm just a guy that really enjoys my bike and I respect the crap out of its potential to kill or maim me in a split second.
Maybe it's a good thing that these new riders get all dressed up even if they only do it to look cool. :dontknow:
I just returned home from a business trip to read in the paper that there were three motorcycle fatalities in and around our city within the last 4 days and I just hate reading about accidents fellow riders on this forum experience. :-[ Please be safe.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I think Square Rounder hit the nail on the head , I like jeans and teeshirt unless its winter when I stop some where I can keep an eye on my bike and others don't know who or where the owner is.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I don't care what anyone wears as long as they are a biker.....we're all out to have motorcycle fun and some like to dress up like "outlaws" while they do it.

Some of the most interesting people I've ever met has been since I started getting into the biker culture...ya just never know who might have your back if trouble starts, or who might have a part or the tools you need while broken down on the side of the road. They might be funny, interesting, or just be back from a warzone overseas and wanting to feel normal again.

The point is if you start judging and excluding people for reasons that shallow you are missing many great opportunities to make friends, learn things, hear great stories, have a laugh, and expand your personal and professional networks.

Try talking to they guys wearing full racing leathers complete with kneepucks at the next biker rally (where cops and traffic limit the practical speed on the road to 20 mph).....you never know, he might have a gorgeous little sister who just broke up with her boyfriend and is ready for a rebound!!!

don't be so shallow! ;)

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
I to was basicly raised on motorcycles, my parents owned a Honda dealership for years my 9 is #18. I will say I do dress to ride, I all-ways wear a Full Face helmet and Laced up boots, and jeans and a shirt. Even at 90 degrees! Wearing shorts to me and no helmet and boots is like a unnatural sex act! I also know it's all-ways those little around town short trips, that are ones that can kill you! I only wear my leathers when it's cold, and here in New Hampshire thats quite often. And when I ride I pertend i'm invisable, and i'm a radar system seems to work for me so far:bigthumbsup: Bottom line my brothers, stay safe and keep your eye's open and trust your gut feeling!
TORQ

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Image.... it's all about Image.

I've never conformed to the classic biker look and I've been riding since I was 12. Some people are into leather, some into t-shirts. Different strokes for different folks.

I base my choices of riding protection on my past experience with road rash. Been there, done that. It wasn't pretty and I don't want to experience it again if I can help it.

Sure, I have the leather jacket and leather chaps. But you won't see me wearing that stuff during the summer months. Mesh jacket, jeans, boots, and gloves are my summer riding gear. Over the years, I've collected an assortment of riding protection. Multiple armored jackets, rip resistant jeans, I even have a full Aerostitch riding suit. But as with anything, experience guides your choices.

Don't fret over what your wearing when you ride, just protect yourself the best way you feel comfortable. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
550 Posts
Just because I have rode a motorized two wheeled machine many years
doesnt mean I can't or wont make a mistake. But I will ride the way I want to ride and wear what I feel like and that is part of the freedom of motorcyling history which is where the helmet debate gets it's fuel.
I gear up most of the time but the other day it was 100 or should I say 109 and I jumped on my bike for a short cool down with shorts and a t-shirt and it felt like I was on my minibike when I was 7 yrs old and thats what biking is about to me. I passed a lot of guys in full armor and it looked so hot with that on. Don't vent on me cause I don't care it's about the ride. The flip flop thing on my feet is not for me though.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Two things:
1) I'm not a biker. I'm a rider. I don't dress for the look, I dress like someone who's sitting on top of a machine that can send him flying at 120mph: full face, leather armored jacket, knee/shin guards over Kevlar jeans and boots.
2) who's the poser??? The guy in all his gear or the guy who thinks he's invincible?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Image.... it's all about Image.

I've never conformed to the classic biker look and I've been riding since I was 12. Some people are into leather, some into t-shirts. Different strokes for different folks.

I base my choices of riding protection on my past experience with road rash. Been there, done that. It wasn't pretty and I don't want to experience it again if I can help it.

Sure, I have the leather jacket and leather chaps. But you won't see me wearing that stuff during the summer months. Mesh jacket, jeans, boots, and gloves are my summer riding gear. Over the years, I've collected an assortment of riding protection. Multiple armored jackets, rip resistant jeans, I even have a full Aerostitch riding suit. But as with anything, experience guides your choices.

Don't fret over what your wearing when you ride, just protect yourself the best way you feel comfortable. :bigthumbsup:
Del,

I could not agree with you more. One should always look to protect themselves at all times when it comes to riding. I typically wear my mesh armored Joe Rocket Jacket, half helmet on light rides, open face with shield on my longer rides. Leather jacket if it's cold.

Most importantly...be safe, think safe and stay safe! If leather is your thing...do you! Enjoy the ride...and that is an order!!!

·
Registered
254 Posts
I do not dress for riding...
I dress for crashing.

Once you leave the bike at speed your skin becomes your brake pad.

I have summer and winter armor.
In the winter i wear tour master pants, jacket, full face, boots and winter gloves.

In the summer, i wear a tour master mesh textile jacket, mesh armored pants, boots, summer gloves with hard knuckles, and underneath a tank top and shorts. I wear this even in the desert at 100+ degrees out.

The last motorcycle crash i stopped to give first aid at the guys died because he did not have a proper helmet and it folded like a tin can. He was just running an errand by the way.

I wear the same thing whether it is on my M109R, my R1 or my Dr650 (if on the street)

Wear what you want.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Well, I'm a new rider and I'm making it a point to wear an armored and perforated leather jacket, full face helmet, leather gloves, riding boots and reinforced jeans over knee/shin guards every time I ride no matter how far I plan to ride. Why? Not because I want to look cool……. but because I'm a NEW RIDER. I have two friends that were seriously injured after having driven less than 2 miles and going less than 10 mph only because they were not wearing a helmet. I don't consider myself a "biker", I'm just a guy that really enjoys my bike and I respect the crap out of its potential to kill or maim me in a split second.
Maybe it's a good thing that these new riders get all dressed up even if they only do it to look cool. :dontknow:
I just returned home from a business trip to read in the paper that there were three motorcycle fatalities in and around our city within the last 4 days and I just hate reading about accidents fellow riders on this forum experience. :-[ Please be safe.
Well said. However, I also agree in part with Square Rounder. I ALWAYS wear a helmet full face and gloves. The rest, depends on how far I will ride and the weather. I understand the OP's point though. There are more douchbags on bikes that want to show how into the screne they are than you!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts