M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, I broke it...  :redfaced:

During the process of taking things apart to get to all of the various possible places for my newly found (After 9000 miles) coolant leak  :verymad: I managed to break one of the retaining tabs that holds the top plastic piece of the radiator cowling (Part that wraps around the steering neck).

If you look at that cowling it is basically 3 pieces. The bottom chrome piece which uses a screw and some locking tabs to mate it to the main piece, the Main larger center piece that actually bolts to the bike, and the top piece that wraps the neck which also uses 1 screw and 2 tabs to mate it to the center piece.

The bottom retaining tab snapped off of that top piece of the cowling and I am concerned it will vibrate like crazy if I dont find a way to repair that tab, which I fortunately did find.

Do any of you know of an adhesive that can be used to glue this back together and will hold up to the vibration? If not... any other ideas??

·
Registered
158 Posts
Well I tend to break everything I own so if you post a pic I might be able to help you out on this one. I think I know what your talking about but not sure.

Post the pic and I'll find something that will help ya out :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Binary-speed said:
Well I tend to break everything I own so if you post a pic I might be able to help you out on this one. I think I know what your talking about but not sure.

Post the pic and I'll find something that will help ya out :bigthumbsup:
I'll put a couple of pics up when I get to the house tonight...
I am hoping there is some sort of adhesive that will let me just glue the tab back on...

G

·
This has happened to alot of goldwingers alot too. When possible and without the pictures I'm not sure, but sometimes you can drill a small hole in it and put a screw in it and glue it back in place. Another option is epoxy adhesives. Most Home Depot's and Lowe's have good epoxy's for about $5.00.

With the cold weather the plastic will snap alot easier. Don't ask me how I know.

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
most plastic supply shops will have a glue called WELD-ON. It's very thin, like water almost, but will actually melt plastic pieces back together, We use it in the sign industry for acrylic welding and attaching trim cap to plastic faces on channel letter signs. I've used it to fix kids toys, broken plastic grill on the refrigerator, etc. Plus it takes just a few seconds to bond

·
Registered
158 Posts
BlkM109r said:
most plastic supply shops will have a glue called WELD-ON. It's very thin, like water almost, but will actually melt plastic pieces back together, We use it in the sign industry for acrylic welding and attaching trim cap to plastic faces on channel letter signs. I've used it to fix kids toys, broken plastic grill on the refrigerator, etc. Plus it takes just a few seconds to bond
Cool thanks :D :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all those that replied! :bigthumbsup: I found some plastic Epoxy/putty (Forget the name) at auto zone and tried that out last night. So far it is holding up but I will know more after I ride this Saturday.

If it breaks again I will try the WELD ON that you are talking about BlkM109r. Melting the 2 pieces back together sounds like a good solution!

dbritton1963 said:
Why didn't you let the service department fix the leak. Still under warranty?? Just asking for my information... Thanks
dbritton, Yes my bike is still under warranty but tightening down the hose clamps is a pretty minor deal (With the exception of one that I cant figure out how to get to that is between the jugs and below/against the throttle bodies). I have a big ride planned this Saturday and I didn't want to wait a week to get my bike fixed so I figured I would just take care of it myself.

Thanks again everyone!! :bigthumbsup: :super: :doorag:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts