M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just mounted my GPS on the handlebars, now I am trying to mount a 12V outlet so that I can charge it while riding. I would like for the outlet to not be seen, does anyone have any idea on how I should go about that?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Tapping into your low beam power and ground wire should work out well for you.

You have plenty of juice there to spare the .5 amps charging the GPS will draw.

Yes, it will not charge when you are on high beam, but how often and how long is that?

If you use your high beam enough that you are worried about it, tap into the running lights.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Some people have mounted a small waterproof cig lighter socket right on the backside of the headlight necel. It is hidden and you just plug in while riding.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Don't know if this is hid enough for you

But this is where I put mine, between the risers under the tach, Had to take that aluminum plate off drill a hole and tap for a 1/4"X20 SS bolt. works for me and very easy to get at when needed. I pulled power from the battery. I dont like robbing power from other accessories for something like this.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Some of us run the high beam when riding during the day so, tapping the low beam power would not necessarily be a good option.
Put an HID in the bike. It is far better on low beam then the bike is on high beam as far as visibility to other motorists.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I just mounted my GPS on the handlebars, now I am trying to mount a 12V outlet so that I can charge it while riding. I would like for the outlet to not be seen, does anyone have any idea on how I should go about that?
How about putting the outlet under your seat and run the GPS cable from there, under you tank and have it come up right behind your GPS mount? :dontknow:

That way you only have a wire there and that can be tucked away easily when not being used...

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
How about putting the outlet under your seat and run the GPS cable from there, under you tank and have it come up right behind your GPS mount? :dontknow:

That way you only have a wire there and that can be tucked away easily when not being used...
For Mary's Garmin, I bought the power cord that goes to the battery. Basically it is run from her fuse block up to the back side of the necel. She plugs in and goes. If she doesn't have the gps, she just winds it in, and tucks it down in with the clutch and throttle cables with no issues.

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
here mine cut a hole in back of narcelle bought the outlet from walmart ran it back to battery (with fuse) so it's always on no one even knows it's there

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
I dont have pictures unfortunately but I bought a waterproof outlet from Canadian Tire and wired it from under the handle bar riders to the battery. It's one of those "Truck Bed Liner Plugs". It really is not noticeable, I know because anyone who has ever seen my bike has never ever commented or even mentioned that there is a plug there... The whole modification cost like $12 bucks :bigthumbsup:

Edit: Oh hell I made one for you...

Very clean, very small and should suit you well! Heres what it looks like out the box

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow, great responses from so many people, I am going to tackle this project in the next couple of days here. I am REALLY not good at fabricating stuff, but I went ahead and bought an outlet from Radioshack. I will post pics on how I everything is going.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
i installed mine in this location no one can see it.

CAP ON

sorry for the poor pict its from my old mobile

·
Registered
163 Posts
For Mary's Garmin, I bought the power cord that goes to the battery. Basically it is run from her fuse block up to the back side of the necel. She plugs in and goes. If she doesn't have the gps, she just winds it in, and tucks it down in with the clutch and throttle cables with no issues.
Thats what I did as well but when I'm not using it I tuck the wire under the tach has plenty of room.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts