M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I test drove a Burple - AWESOME RIDE......but......I don't like the way the handle bars are positioned. They are too far forward, my arms are stretched and I have to lean forward which kills my back. I have been reading that the '07 models may include a "classic" which may have different bars (pulled back further) - has anyone else heard this? Does anyone know of any modifications, different bars or risers that may be available? This is the only thing stopping me from buying this bike. If I don't find a solution, I will be forced to buy an "old man's" Vulcan!

G

·
Although I love the 109, if it is not for you, it is not for you. I cannot speak for the newer models as I am not privvy to that info. I can tell you that the Vulcan is a nice bike. I have three friends who have them that I ride with frequestly. One is the larger bagger model and two are not. All have been trouble free and ride out nicely. I know that is not much help, but if you are not in a real hurry, maybe hold out and see what the newer models are going to bring. This 109 is one awesome bike.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Have you rode the bike or just sat on it? I at first thought the same about the bars and that it would be hard on my back, but I've put 1200 miles on in the last 3 weeks and find no back problems and the bars are abit of a reach but still comfortable. hope it helps

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I als0o felt at first the bars made me reach too far forward. I have now gotten use to the 109 and find the forward pegs & handlebars comfortable. In addition, the back of my seat supports an inch or more up my back which I find comfy and quite adequate!!! :doorag:

·
Registered
898 Posts
hmm... I like the bar position....wish I had the foot pegs about +3" further forward where I could stretch my legs more but I think the new seats from suzuki will help some.... only thing wrong with a vulcan is it aint a 109....when that phat 240 rolls by you on your vulcan you will be regretting  :bow:

khrome

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
L-Train said:
If you buy now and there is a C model and a T model you will be pissed though.

It's a tough decision.
True, but you can just about be guaranteed that someone will offer some sort of pull back modification by the ned of the year.....
Is there an y current cruiser where you couldnt???

·
Registered
64 Posts
If there is ONE constant in Crusierdom it is: Cruisers will ALWAYS BE CUSTOMIZEABLE.

You can find bars to swap, extentions to put on, foot pegs to adjust, ect. If you like the M109 but not the position of the ride then you can always adjust that. If you can live with a Vulcan and it suits your riding style better, then go that route.

Also, have you just sat on the bike or did you ride it?

·
Registered
211 Posts
After riding sport bikes since 1989 I have to adapt my riding style. I have a bad lower back and the first 500 miles I rode the "M" I was on pain. Now I have 1200 miles on the bike and just last Thursday I did a five our ride from Central Florida to the East Coast and back and I stopped only one time for gas and my back did not bather me it all. It take some getting used to. I still can angle my handle back up and will give me about to inches more but I don't need it any more. :bigthumbsup: It is a great bike but not the more confortable one for people with short arms.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Agree......

Rotating the bars will give you at 3 inches of reduced reach.
This may be just what you need. If no, I would just replace the OEM bars with after market.

My buddy has a Vulcan Classic 1500 and now wishes he would have bought the 109.

·
Registered
343 Posts
smartin said:
I test drove a Burple - AWESOME RIDE......but......I don't like the way the handle bars are positioned. They are too far forward, my arms are stretched and I have to lean forward which kills my back. I have been reading that the '07 models may include a "classic" which may have different bars (pulled back further) - has anyone else heard this? Does anyone know of any modifications, different bars or risers that may be available? This is the only thing stopping me from buying this bike. If I don't find a solution, I will be forced to buy an "old man's" Vulcan!
Geeez, a Vulcan over a 109? Please get to your nearest psychologist as soon as possible before you hurt yourself and possibly someone else! :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
593 Posts
Hey its a hard choice. I was looking real hard at the Roadliner S in the diamond white but I had to stay within my means. the 109 was  3 grand cheaper. I couldn't be happier with my choice. I mean its the first cruiser I have owned and personally I don't know what took me so long to crossover from sports and motos. This may help your decision making easier. I saw the conversion kit for the 109 rear tire to upgrade to a 280 rear tire, now thats phat.

G

·
Change the bars. Over 80% of motorcycle purchasers never change the bars to fit their riding style. Of course if your prefer the Vulcan, they are good bikes. I owned on a couple of years ago and enjoyed it. I often wish that I still had it.

oldfart

1 - 20 of 20 Posts