M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Buckle up cuz this is going to be a long one. Last weekend I was doing a decently long ride on my 2013 M90. After getting on the freeway, the low oil pressure light came on. I pulled off, and shut the bike off and discovered the drain plug had backed off and fell out, dumping out all the oil in the engine :eek:. I got a new plug today and put new oil in it and attempted to start up to cycle oil in and make sure it was ok. It wasn't. There is ridiculously loud clanging and knocking. Clearly there is damage to the engine. So now I need advice on what would have been damaged, how to identify damaged parts, and what retailers may carry those parts. Taking the bike to a mechanic is not an option because I've already been quoted at having to spend $6-10K to fix the engine. And scraping the bike isn't an option either because I still owe money on it. Now I'm left rebuilding the engine myself with limited knowledge of working on bikes. I've already ordered a service manual, but any extra advice from knowledgeable people would be greatly appreciated. OR if anyone has a line on a new/Used engine I could buy, that'd be great too. Lol

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,524 Posts
It's really hard to tell all the parts that may be damaged without taking it apart. If you're lucky the rings, pistons, cylinders, camshafts, valves and chains are still OK. They don't need the lube that the crank bearings and rod bearings do. At a minimum I would guess new crankshaft bearings, and upper and lower rod end bearings. If you're lucky the crankshaft and rods are still OK. I don't know the internals of the M90 so I'm guessing the rods actually have bearings.

Good luck, and hopefully you have a friend that can help you diagnose it. I would not attempt to start it again as it will just cause more damage.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts