M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first post on this site hope i do it right.
i have a national cycle v stream tourer windshield which like many m 90 riders on this site produced severe helmet buffeting.
i am 5ft 8in tall (short) and it seemed like i had to hunker down to get any relief from the wind at anything over 65-70 mph.
i came across a product that will fix this at www.laminarlip.com
it is not pretty, but will help. the instructions are easy and it installs easy.
i used there universal 14in. crusier style lip.
just installed it last weekend and it seemed to work fine at highway speed.
i will try and post a picture asap

· Registered
1,293 Posts
first post on this site hope i do it right.
i have a national cycle v stream tourer windshield which like many m 90 riders on this site produced severe helmet buffeting.
i am 5ft 8in tall (short) and it seemed like i had to hunker down to get any relief from the wind at anything over 65-70 mph.
i came across a product that will fix this at www.laminarlip.com
it is not pretty, but will help. the instructions are easy and it installs easy.
i used there universal 14in. crusier style lip.
just installed it last weekend and it seemed to work fine at highway speed.
i will try and post a picture asap
interesting find... its all in the angle the vstream if you can get it higher it'll be better.. try mounting it like this using the headlight bolt

http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103186&highlight=give+vstream
post #18

· Registered
127 Posts
I got a windshield for my 90... biggest waste of money ever. Some bikes were designed to not have windshields. The 90 is one of them. Makes the ride much less enjoyable... it would be equivelent to putting the baffles back in my exhaust... BLAH!

Oh and most of the buffeting comes from below, to truly get rid of the buffeting you need to get the Rifle wind deflectors for the forks.

· Registered
215 Posts
I had the Vstream and wasn't very happy with it. You guys know I don't have a mechanical bone in my body so it was pointless for me to try to make the adjustments you mentioned. I exchanged it for the suzuki model and so far I am much happier with it. I like the look of the bike better without it, but the highways were murder for me. So far so good. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

· Registered
121 Posts
:agree:
I had the same problem when I first installed mine, but a quick adjustment took care of it.
Exactly what adjustment did you do? I moved my vstream tourer as far up as I could go and I'm getting bad helmet vibrations at 60+ mph. Not to mention the noise is so loud I need ear plugs right now. I really like the look of the vstream and want to try one more time to adjust before uninstalling the windshield and selling. Any help would be great and if you mention bending the brackets, do I bend inwards towards the light nacell or outwards? I'm 5' 11" BTW so not sure I should be having such a issue.

· Registered
11 Posts
DRAMATIC improvement!!!

I followed the forum link and modified my lower brackets (bent them) and with a little adjusting moved the screen down to the headlight nacelle with a small gap. this had the effect of moving the screen more upright.
I filled the gap with 2 pieces of window / door sealing rubber (Sticky on one side.) stuck onto the nacelle and then tightened the screen down on to it, this stopped air from coming under the screen.(except a 2" gap in the centre).
DRAMATIC improvement, absolutely NO BUFFETING and only NORMAL WIND noise. :p :p :p

· Registered
11 Posts
2" gap?

The lower edge is not straight, the shape of the screen curves up in the centre and so the sealing tape/ rubber would have not fitted up and would have looked odd? So I left the 2" gap in the centre of the screen!
I t will also allow water to run away from the bottom of the screen and not "dam" up?
My bike was virtually unridable untill I did this mod, now it is just as it should have always been, no buffeting and quiet! :bigthumbsup:

· Banned
15,210 Posts
Just adjusted mine

Loosened the clamps, slide all the way up. Then I tighten the upper bracket and after loosening the 4 screws that hold the shield on, I pulled the lower bracket, where it mounts to the shield, outward. This pulled the front down and the top up and forward. Man that brought the front down to within 1/2" from the headlight cowling and raised the top/back about 4 inches. That's what I needed so i don't have to lean forward to get out of the wind. I am satisfied with it now.

edit, to make it easier moving the brackets up without taking the bolt out, which is a pain cause of their shortness, I used the allen wrench little end between both sides of the bracket, where the bolt is and spread it while I pushed up. Made it a LOT EASIER TO SLIDE UP.

· Registered
35 Posts
Thats cool Im 5,11 as well and grew up in South Africa so I have no clue what that is in metric either maybe like 180cm perhaps. Anyways its good to know that the screen works at our height.

I owned a Suzuki GSX1400 a couple of years back and it came with a screen as a special offer from new. It was bloody terrible so I got a taller aftermarket screen and it was even worse! Eventually I took to it with a jigsaw and cut the bugger in half just so I could ride the bike!

I have ordered two Vstreams one for me and one to sell on "Trade Me" to recover some of my costs. I am a little nervous I must say even though guys like yourself have posted some good advice on the fitting of this screen. I just do not wanna go through the pains and frustration that I did with the GSX that caused extreme buffeting on the top 3 inches of my helmet causing blurry vision and a sore neck.

Anyways thanks for the advice I will follow your fitment instructions and hopefully it will be sweet. Ta

· Registered
1,349 Posts
I got a windshield for my 90... biggest waste of money ever. Some bikes were designed to not have windshields. The 90 is one of them. Makes the ride much less enjoyable... it would be equivelent to putting the baffles back in my exhaust... BLAH!

Oh and most of the buffeting comes from below, to truly get rid of the buffeting you need to get the Rifle wind deflectors for the forks.
or put foam in between the gap between the bottom of the windshield and the headlight shroud :D

· Registered
17 Posts
or put foam in between the gap between the bottom of the windshield and the headlight shroud :D
The air comes from under the headlight shroud and over the top of the tank. It causes a vortex that can be annoying when using a windshield. The lower deflectors help eliminate the air coming up from the front fender.

· Registered
1,349 Posts
The air comes from under the headlight shroud and over the top of the tank. It causes a vortex that can be annoying when using a windshield. The lower deflectors help eliminate the air coming up from the front fender.
That is correct which is why I put foam in and I have it all the way so there is no gap. I used what my local rubber place called refrigerator foam and is quite porous so the water will drain easily. I have had no pooling and now no buffetting so all is good .:a18:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.