1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
190 Posts
I think a national helmet law would be a good thing but I doubt it will happen. There isnt a national seatbelt law, so the chances of this is slim at best.

I dont understand the "rational" reasoning of why a rider doesnt need to wear a helmet. I guess your head cracked open like and egg on the pavement is somehow better than a concussion and having to buy a new helmet.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I hope it actually passes..... I wear a full-face helmet anyways; it's just unfortunate it takes the Gov. to dictate to people who don't.... seriously, why wouldn't you wear one? I can tell you from experience you don't look cool laying on the side of the road with your head split open.

·
Registered
168 Posts
i as well for the most part wear a full face helmet...i do own a half helmet, which is fun to ride around town, cause u can hear so much more...but if i am going anywhere outside of town i always wear my full face...everytime i wear my half helmet even in town i have images of my jaw or face being ground down on the pavement :barf:i would have no problem if there was a national helmet law passed...wouldn't effect me anyway, washington state is already mandatory. i don't understand why other people don't wear one...i suppose its just like the seatbelt thing...some people despise wearing the seatbelt...it doesn't bother me one bit. oh well...i say :bigthumbsup: for national helmet law

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
All the 109 riders I know (including me) wear real helmets. Either full face or at the very least 3/4 helmet with full visors. Our bikes actually move and corner and need to be "ridden" not just make some noise and have no accelaration.

The whole Harley-Air Cooled-Oil Leaking engine type crowd will be the main ones with a problem with a National helmet law.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
i as well for the most part wear a full face helmet...i do own a half helmet, which is fun to ride around town, cause u can hear so much more...but if i am going anywhere outside of town i always wear my full face...everytime i wear my half helmet even in town i have images of my jaw or face being ground down on the pavement :barf:i would have no problem if there was a national helmet law passed...wouldn't effect me anyway, washington state is already mandatory. i don't understand why other people don't wear one...i suppose its just like the seatbelt thing...some people despise wearing the seatbelt...it doesn't bother me one bit. oh well...i say :bigthumbsup: for national helmet law
Same here. :agree: I don't wear my half helmet a bunch except for around town to run errands or go to work. But out on the highway yeah, I wear my Icon.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I guess I shall return the pot stirring.

I would rather those who should be taken out by natural selection do so and not prolong their existence which may cause multiplication of their retarded jeans.

That I am not for more laws from the gov dictating personal choices. That is a slippery slope, but that is a discussion for another time.

·
Registered
190 Posts
All the 109 riders I know (including me) wear real helmets. Either full face or at the very least 3/4 helmet with full visors. Our bikes actually move and corner and need to be "ridden" not just make some noise and have no accelaration.

The whole Harley-Air Cooled-Oil Leaking engine type crowd will be the main ones with a problem with a National helmet law.
There are people here that have said they do not wear helmets and have posted their reasons why. Its not just a HD thing, its a personal choice. Its not the type of bike that dictates if you wear a helmet its the rider. A 50cc scooter will kill you dead just as easily as a liter bike will.

·
Registered
461 Posts
My thoughts are simple, more laws=less freedom.
:agree::agree::agree:
They're now going to regulate SALT!! I'm completely disgusted with people that need a law to make decisions for them or just to see how much control they have.:barf::swear::swear:

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Its not the type of bike that dictates if you wear a helmet its the rider.
That's probably true. It certainly is personal choice, and you can get killed falling off riding mower as well. But I do the think what type of bike you ride has something to do with it. I just don't see anyone on crotch rockets wearing 1/2 shells. But I see almost 99% on HD riders ONLY wearing 1/2 shells. Then again in Florida nobody wears any kind of helmet, because it's not law.

I don't care what anybody personnally decides to do, doesn't matter to me. But if you crash while wearng no helmet or some stupid cereal bowl turned upside down with a strap on it don't complain about head injuries or your extended coma.

I will also say if you have gone down yourself, your view of helmets & gear changes. As in........unless you have a deathwish you want to be wearing the good stuff from then on.

I know nobody wants to be told by law what to do. I get that. I don't like it either. But common sense and wanting to protect your dome seem pretty reasonable to me. So for me personally I'm wearing a helmet whether is law or not law.

·
Registered
190 Posts
My thoughts are simple, more laws=less freedom.
You're free to die many other ways. If you're going to use public roads I think it is okay for the government to have rules/laws on how you can use them.

If you have enough land to ride on, wear as much or as little gear as you want. Thats your right, because you own it. You do pay taxes which pays for road upkeep, but think of that more as a toll than a right to ownership as you're paying into the coffers to be able to use the entire road network.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Is someone riding without a helmet going to have the potential to infringe on the rights of others? NO!!!!

Therefore the govt has no right to pass laws that infringe on the rider's freedom of choice.

I always wear a helmet but strongly believe that everyone has the freedom of choice. Read that again..........FREEDOM. Someone said in a previous post, More Laws = Less Freedom. And its the god's honest truth.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Is someone riding without a helmet going to have the potential to infringe on the rights of others? NO!!!!

Therefore the govt has no right to pass laws that infringe on the rider's freedom of choice.

I always wear a helmet but strongly believe that everyone has the freedom of choice. Read that again..........FREEDOM. Someone said in a previous post, More Laws = Less Freedom. And its the god's honest truth.
:agree: I wear mine always. Sometimes I feel out of place because most here do not wear a helmet and it's their right.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
slap the pavement one time and then tell me you shouldnt have to wear a helmet. i dare you!
i DO agree that it is and should be a personal choice. its a fine line we are walking with regulations and choices. i ll choose to wear mine:nojoke:

G

·
I always wear a fullface helmet. But I don't like the Government telling me I have to. And I don't like the amount of tax money spent to enforce such laws. A dollar spent to educate the stupid goes 10 times farther that a dollar spent to protect the stupid from themselves. Frankly, I like seeing people riding without a helmet. It openly exposes the idiots that I don't want to ride with. If they don't care about their own safety.....they certanly aren't going to care about mine in close riding conditions. And as cold as it sounds, some of them deserve what they get when they crash and we're all better off without them. :evil:

·
Registered
106 Posts
stir the pot

I worked with a guy up here who hated motorcycles, he had one, fell off of it, and sold it, and deemed them evil, and he would constantly tell at work to sell it, get rid of it, you don't need it. My point is with this guy motorcycle helmet save lives but he wanted to ban motorcycles which would save all motorcycle lives. He tried to get the company to put a no motorcycle clause in the company policy that we could not bring our bikes to work. But this is Canada bikes are greener than cars. I where a full face and armour, we have a national helmet law here, nothing wrong with it, but if helmets save lives, no bikes would save more, (told I would stir the pot) where is the limit with laws. I personal like the Darwinism thing, cut all the seatbelts out of vehicles remove the guards off of everything.

·
Registered
488 Posts
As some folks have already said..but I'm going to say it again...it has absolutely nothing to do with wearing a helmet or not..it is simply the FREEDOM to make that choice to wear one or not.

I get its stupid and why would you put your head and life at risk and all that..but I want something more than that and that is the CHOICE to decide each day if I want to wear one or not. No govt. telling me I have to..That's all it really boils down to.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts