M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have been checking my rear tire pressure lately. It was riding "weird" so I figured I would check the pressure the other day. It was 9 PSI!!!! :eek: So I corrected the pressure and checked it today. It dropped 5 PSI in 2 days. I felt it was kinda strange so I stuck the bike on my lift to check the tire. Well guess what I found? Nope....it wasn't the winning lottery ticket.....it was a NAIL:eek: right in the middle of the tread. NICE! :dontknow:

It is a fairly new tire so I am going to take it down to the local shop that I know of and have them look at it to fix. Left the nail in the tire so it should be able to find easily. I am just glad I checked the tire instead of filling it up periodically.

I know this has been asked before....but I am sure I don't want to spend money on a new tire when this one is really new. I am sure the "fixed" tire would be ok, just need to check more often. D*MN!!! :cus:

BTW.....it is a small nail, looks like a finishing nail. I guess I could leave it in for the winter and have STUDDED tires. :joke:

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
Well, you have 2 options, plug it or patch it. Plugging will be A LOT cheaper, but patching is a better way to go.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Big B.....I need to go the best route short of replacing. Sounds Like patching will be it.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Thanks Big B.....I need to go the best route short of replacing. Sounds Like patching will be it.
Actually if you are going to go the patch route, look for a place that uses plug/patch combination repair. Still have to take the tire off the rim, but I have never heard of one failing.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Actually if you are going to go the patch route, look for a place that uses plug/patch combination repair. Still have to take the tire off the rim, but I have never heard of one failing.
:agree:
Plug patch is the only way I would ride if necessary.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
948 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me and it was a Metzler with 2500 miles on it. I patched it using a vulcanizing strip plug from Walmart and I used the Walmart tools and did it myself. I caried the kit and a pump with me in a tank bag for about the first 500 miles. It lasted till the tire wore out which was at about 6000 miles. Which was exactly how long the next set of Metzlers lasted. Using E3's now already at about 7500 miles and still some good life to go. After that first 500 miles or so I was confident in the tire and the patch job. The bottom line is what are you comfortable with if it fails you could be an awfully long way from home and in a bad situation... perhaps even wreck. Many places wont even patch a Motorcycle tire due to liabillity but I got 3500 more mile out of my tire... which would have been a waste of money if I had thrown it away at that point. You have to do what makes you comfortable.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Me too

Recently found ANOTHER f*&^ing nail my the third set or rear tires. But this time I put fix a flat in it and said to myself f%$# it because it's almost the end of the riding season. My mechanic at Fun For All said to me that if the tire wasn't so big maybe half the size I would probaly only pick half the amount of nails. Politely I said that he might be right thinking all the the time I should have just told him to go f^%$ himself. Really every time I pick up a nail between the tire and the labor it costs me 300 bucks. :edit: Maybe I need a bigger tire, like a 280 or a 300. :joke: :eek:

OK, I have been checking my rear tire pressure lately. It was riding "weird" so I figured I would check the pressure the other day. It was 9 PSI!!!! :eek: So I corrected the pressure and checked it today. It dropped 5 PSI in 2 days. I felt it was kinda strange so I stuck the bike on my lift to check the tire. Well guess what I found? Nope....it wasn't the winning lottery ticket.....it was a NAIL:eek: right in the middle of the tread. NICE! :dontknow:

It is a fairly new tire so I am going to take it down to the local shop that I know of and have them look at it to fix. Left the nail in the tire so it should be able to find easily. I am just glad I checked the tire instead of filling it up periodically.

I know this has been asked before....but I am sure I don't want to spend money on a new tire when this one is really new. I am sure the "fixed" tire would be ok, just need to check more often. D*MN!!! :cus:

BTW.....it is a small nail, looks like a finishing nail. I guess I could leave it in for the winter and have STUDDED tires. :joke:

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have about 2500 miles or so on my new Dunlop E3. The shop I had put the tire on is the one I am going to take it to. I would do it myself, but I am a loyal customer of theirs and they can use the work and I can use the peace of mind that it is done.

Thanks for the comments. Now I am wondering where I picked up this nail! :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Riding around with the tire pressure getting that low could have messed up the tire more than the nail. I would spend $153 on a new Dunlop E3 250 and another $50 for mounting it. That way you are confident to ride with out any worries. If you do decide to patch it make sure they take the tire off and do it on the inside. Just my 2 cents. Good Luck!

·
Seasoned Member
7,635 Posts

If it's really in the middle of the tread on your rear tire, just plug it with a standard vulcanized car tire plug using a tubeless tire repair kit (the kind that comes with a T-handle reamer, T-handle plug insertion tool, rope-type plugs and rubber cement). Believe me, it's permanent, safe and it won't leak at all. Unless you repair it incorrectly. Don't get a kit with screwdriver-type handles... you'll just get frustrated and end up doing a poor repair. If the nail/screw is in the sidewall or close to it, or is anywhere on the front tire, just replace the tire or you'll be sorry.

http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1369441

·
Registered
163 Posts
Recently found ANOTHER f*&^ing nail my the third set or rear tires. But this time I put fix a flat in it and said to myself f%$# it because it's almost the end of the riding season. My mechanic at Fun For All said to me that if the tire wasn't so big maybe half the size I would probaly only pick half the amount of nails. Politely I said that he might be right thinking all the the time I should have just told him to go f^%$ himself. Really every time I pick up a nail between the tire and the labor it costs me 300 bucks. :edit: Maybe I need a bigger tire, like a 280 or a 300. :joke: :eek:
Fix A Flat....very messy! Does harm some types of rims.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update:

All fixed. Local shop removed the small finishing nail, removed the tire and placed a THERMAL PATCH on my tire. They had to use a commercial patch made for 6 PLY tires to correctly fix this. I am glad I found out about the nail before it really caused any BIG damage.

It set me back $75 though. Cheaper than a new tire and should be good as new. My tire only had about 1000 mles on it, so I have plenty of more miles left. Mechanic usually won't fix a tire if it has half of it's tread gone, but my was new in his book! He should know, he is the one who put it on there.

:edit: NAILS

1 - 12 of 12 Posts