M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:doh: Found out why my tire was low.... three finish nails were in my metzler tire... not even 1200 miles on it.... I have to replace it right? theres no plugging it. whats the biggest tire i could put on the rear with the stock rim and swing arm? i was looking at a dunlop 250 or another metz. 240 or 260. went out today and bought a m/c jack from pepboys 97$ not to bad. the axle is giving me some problems i got to get a breaker bar to turn the axel the spark plug / extension / ratchet isn't big enough to break loose

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Most members say "don't risk your life "
but I would try a patch , a big patch , "" NOT A PLUG ""
or if I could find one , a tube ,just for
the life of that tire , like you say it is brand new.

As for the biggest tire you can fit
on stock rim and swingarm ,....
there are hundreds of threads on this subject:bdh:

For your axle , people slide a long screwdriver between the exhaust
pipes and hit at the axle while turning it to get it out , Suzuki puts no
grease on this , you will find it is dry as a bone , put a little grease on it before reinstall.
if that doesn't work , remove one (upper I think) of the exhaust extensions.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I had the same happen to me. After alot of post I replaced the tire. I used a patch/plug that pulled thru the hole and it lasted about a week then started seeping air. When I replaced the tire I looked at the patch and it started working loose. So yes a patch is a temperary fix because the whole tire flexes when cornering. As for the size read Hinks link a 250 E3 dunlop looks great and is on sale in rocky mountain mag. for 138.99 free shipping. Hope this helps from a person with the same dilemna.:doorag:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info I went to sears hardware and got a 1 1/4 wrench and 3/8 to 1/2 adapter for my breaker bar. the nut then turned very easy. I'm planning to go with the dunlop e3 from rocky mountain atv. that is a great price. makes the bottom line a little less painfull.

·
Registered
115 Posts
:agree: the dealer wanted over 300.00 for the factory tire and labor. I did it myself and saved bigtime.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I have had good luck With Slime. When they ream the hole to put the plug it sometimes will brake the belt in the tire. I know i lost a good tire over that.

Going on two years running Slime. The nice thing about it. You get another nail. Just pull it and ride. And washes out with a garden hose. The other good thing is It balances the tire.

As for the size of the tire i'm running a 280 on the stocker. Been running it sense
06. If your a sport person its a nice set up. I also run 50 lb to stop the funky ware on the edge of the tire. Low air the tire gives.

I'm almost done with my rear tire so i will be taking pics and a small write up on the matter.

Dave @ NES.

·
Radio Active Member
27,699 Posts
thanks for the info I went to sears hardware and got a 1 1/4 wrench and 3/8 to 1/2 adapter for my breaker bar. the nut then turned very easy. I'm planning to go with the dunlop e3 from rocky mountain atv. that is a great price. makes the bottom line a little less painfull.
That was the best way to go. Why take a chance.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My dealer wanted 330 or a metz and 246 for the dunlop e3. I ordered online yesterday total came to 132. Just got to see how much i can get it mounted for. Now the wait for the brown truck begins.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thaught this would be easy. ordered the tire Sunday night. waiting patiently... called ups.... tire is in ky.... shipper put wrong weight on the label.. delayed till Friday. of course its memorable day weekend and all the shops will be closed so i can't get it on the rim and back on the bike till Tuesday. and you know its going to be beautiful up here in ny and I want to ride.
Today i bought slime and pulled the metal out and installed the slime.. has anyone ever slimed there bike tire. The slime pushes to the outside walls so it shouldn't be a issue with balance.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
I have had good luck With Slime. When they ream the hole to put the plug it sometimes will brake the belt in the tire. I know i lost a good tire over that.

Going on two years running Slime. The nice thing about it. You get another nail. Just pull it and ride. And washes out with a garden hose. The other good thing is It balances the tire.

As for the size of the tire i'm running a 280 on the stocker. Been running it sense
06. If your a sport person its a nice set up. I also run 50 lb to stop the funky ware on the edge of the tire. Low air the tire gives.

I'm almost done with my rear tire so i will be taking pics and a small write up on the matter.

Dave @ NES.
This reads like a list of what not to do

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Instead of flapping your lips, try proving me wrong.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Instead of flapping your lips, try proving me wrong.
You're right, sliming the tire is a good remedy for 3 nails already picked up, and I believe a 280 tire is reccomended for a stock rim, and oh, 50 PSI is a correct tire pressure to run, especially on a wet road

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
thaught this would be easy. ordered the tire Sunday night. waiting patiently... called ups.... tire is in ky.... shipper put wrong weight on the label.. delayed till Friday. of course its memorable day weekend and all the shops will be closed so i can't get it on the rim and back on the bike till Tuesday. and you know its going to be beautiful up here in ny and I want to ride.
Today i bought slime and pulled the metal out and installed the slime.. has anyone ever slimed there bike tire. The slime pushes to the outside walls so it shouldn't be a issue with balance.
It is actually Memorial Day, just to clarify. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
There you go. Flapping your lips again.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
You're right, sliming the tire is a good remedy for 3 nails already picked up, and I believe a 280 tire is reccomended for a stock rim, and oh, 50 PSI is a correct tire pressure to run, especially on a wet road
So what your saying is I should be running a 10" rim with my 280 so i can run off the end of the rubber and be a bush whacker like some niners I've see on here?

Oh yea and I should lower my nine too.

NOT.

I have my style of riding and you have yours. I set my bike up for my style of riding I do...Do you?

Been on the road sense I was 16 and dirt bike before that. And what your saying is i should be lessening to a runny nosed, wet behind the ears dude like you? I think not.

Was just thinking. What I'm going to do just for you is I'm almost done with this 280 and just before I change it i'm going to take a nail and stick it in this tire about three more times and take if for about 100 miles just to prove my point.

Write up soon to come. With pics

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
You can bet theres going to be a lot of bikes out this weekend jdmitchell. Looks like nice weather here on the North East.

Thinking of doing the Cape Cod this weekend. Anybody doing the Cape, check out 6A heading east. Nice road.

Hope everybody has a safe weekend.

Dave

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
So what your saying is I should be running a 10" rim with my 280 so i can run off the end of the rubber and be a bush whacker like some niners I've see on here?

NOT.

I have my style of riding and you have yours. I set my bike up for my style of riding I do...Do you?

Been on the road sense I was 16 and dirt bike before that. And what your saying is i should be lessening to a runny nosed, wet behind the ears dude like you? I think not.

Was just thinking. What I'm going to do just for you is I'm almost done with this 280 and just before I change it i'm going to take a nail and stick it in this tire about three more times and take if for about 100 miles just to prove my point.

I got my first motorcycle in 1966. I was only 12, but even then I had sense enough to replace a tire with a nail in it. With 3 nails I'd replace it 3 times just to be on the safe side!

·
Registered
3,367 Posts

NOT.

Slime or plugs might work for a while 9 times out of 10, but what about the tenth time when your tire blows out at 80 mph? Oh, I know.... you could re-cap to hide the nail holes! don't forget to pump them up to 50 psi. looking forward to your write up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
so much drama lol. sorry for the spelling dam spell check changed it. I tried the slime seems to be working. If the tire gets here today ill change it if not ill change it next week after the holiday. rockymtatv.com sent me a 30$ gift card for the mix up... so i ordered a cobra fi2000. with a coupon code and gift card it came to 150 Thanks For All The Reply's Have A Great Weekend!

watch out for the :cop:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts