M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have had some oil on the LFT (shifter) side of my Nine collecting on the case & side cover & kick stand. I wipe it clean & after a ride it reappears. It is not over filled, in fact it is actually low So I believe it only happens while the motor is running... oil pressure.
On todays ride a fellow Niner observed a small puddle just behind the kick stand(in the down position) after about an hour ride. He thinks it is leaking from a supply liner rubber hose that connects 2 a steel tube on that side of the bike, another Nine'r thinks it is leaking out the air fillter.
I checked the oil level B4 riding again & as it wasn't on the stick I poured in a 1/2 QT which topped it off. After wiping up again I checked the oil level again,A half of stick & fresh oil on the bottom of the air cleaner again(Spectre bottle fed mod).Well... I think it is the hose(supply line) & is leaking under pressure because being that oil level is not ovrefill(In fact still leaks when low) how & or why could it be puking oil out the air intake?
Will have 2 pull the intake & C what's up tomorrow:-\

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
clean it all up and let it idle for a while with couple of revs without moving it and start looking. best I can give ya so far. Good luck, you'll find it.:bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,091 Posts
Make sure you check it the right way. Warm it up for 15 minutes on the side stand, shut it off and stand it upright for 3 minutes, then while holding it steady remove the stick and check it. You have to remove the stick, wipe and reinsert to check. And make sure you hold it upright the entire 3 minutes and while checking it.

But do a bunch of reading on oil puke too. There's multiple reasons and multiple fixes for it. And it's very common.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow... looks like there may B more 2 this than meets the eye... Why now? She has low miles & runs like a bat outta hell :dontknow:

Funny...I made a joke about a Harley when I saw that oil on the ground this morning... well... ok... not so funny:verymad:

Thanks fellow Niner's

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
:agree:with Zoom with the exception of idling on side stand. I was in the dealership a while back and the service manager told me they just got an addendum that stated that now the bike should be ran for the 15 mins. being totally upright. Really, I don't know what diffrence that would make but if you are having an oil dripping issue I would do what rhey recommend.
Good luck & keep us posted.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Sounds like the dreaded 'oil puke'. Do a search on oil puke, you will get your answers.
First off, you are going to have to take off your left air filter/intake cover. This is where your issue is partially from. Oil has collected up into your air intake, so the filter is or could be saturated with oil. Start by cleaning this out completely.
There will be a lot of opinions on the cause of this 'oil puke'. I tend to keep my oil level on the dipstick at the lower end of the acceptable range. I now measure oil amounts OUT of the bike, to assure that I dont over fill. Sometimes people don't even know the proper procedure to correctly check their oil....it's far from a normal procedure.

Clean up the intake/filters. Check your oil using the correct procedures and be really strict on the amount of oil in your beast. Thats all I can give you for the moment.

SEARCH feature on this site will answer your questions.
Good Luck.

Dave

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Upate

Well I guess I can say it is no longer a mystery 2 me (excepting the cause). It appears I can now enlist WhiteStar into the ranks of the "Dreaded Oil Pukers Squad" After enough research on the issue & seeing that the oil is in fact exiting from the CC breather hose & out my lil filter which I mounted just above my air cleaner all makes sense 2 me now.
The EMC theory is interesting, but 4 now an air/water separator as used on air compressors will be my fix... when I get the time 2 do it.

Thanks again to the forum members who took the time 2 post with links & pics... got 2luv this site:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good News

Well... B4 my birthday ride last Sunday (Saturday evening) I leveled my 9 on the MC jack & carefully followed the correct procedures 4 the oil level check. There was about an 8th of an inch of oil on the bottom of the stick so I decided 2 leave it there & see what happened during the ride. After 67 miles I stopped 4 fuel & was real happy 2 see no oil puking what soever & that goes 4 the rest of the days ride! I guess I must of overfilled on my last oil change although I had thought I was being careful. I will be keeping my oil level @ the bottom of the stick also from now on:bigthumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts