M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in a wreck in 2001 in which I was hurt pretty bad. My last one was on Nov 2nd. At first when I said that I was going to another bike ASAP my wife said that I couldn't have another one. I told her that if that were the case that she was going to force my hand and that we might want to consider splitting up. She said that I loved my motorcycle more than her. Now I told her that that isn't true but she was still convinced of that.

Following a long talk in which I said that I was going to own another bike whether she liked it or not she agreed to it but only after Mar 1st. Now I understand that she looks at it as if she might loose me but I remind her that if I do die I'm worth 1.5 million. I know that she loves me and doesn't want to lose me. She is a very special woman and I love her alot. However, riding and having my head in the breeze is a love that I'm just not willing to give up.

Come On March 1st----------------------------------:drool:

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
This is her story

She states that she needs time to heal up emotionally after the last wreck. She has agreed to another bike however she is afraid that she'll lose me to the other woman (A motorcycle) :joke:

Really she's afraid that she'll lose me to some jack wagen like the one that rear ended my in 2001 or to someone else like the girl who turned into my path making me lay the bike down while she was talking on a cell phone on Nov 2nd.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know one thing for sure

That it's not IF but WHEN I get into another accident. It's just the law of averages when you choose to ride a motorcycle. I just worry that the next accident might cripple me and I won't be able to ride again. I think that I'd rather die than be hurt bad and not be able to ride again. If I do get hurt then there's always a trike. :bigthumbsup:

Need to use some of that 1.5 to get an Accident proof Riding Outfit :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
Are our wives related? I've heard those same words "you love your motorcycle more than me" or "you ride her more than me" Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
922 Posts
Well !

:dontknow:

Well guys I know you've heard all of this before!

You could fall down the steps, you could slip in the shower, and a whole lot of other senario's, of which could cause varying degree's of injuries. Soooooo! What cha gonna do?

:eek:

Now on the other hand, we could, and do love our 9's very dearly, however they could never take the place of our beloved wives by no means. They just don't compare. We all realize the fear they have when we venture out on our beasts.

And depending on our individual personality traits, some wives will worry more than others, due to your varying riding habits. If they know you and how you ride.

I know I worry about my wife every time she leaves the house, because I know her spending habits. :joke:

I am very concerned for her safety, and I know she is concerned for mine when I am out riding, but we can't let every little concern stop us from living and enjoying our lives.

Remember the happier you are, the less problems you are going to cause someone else.

So on that note, buy your new 9 whenever you feel comfortable, and reassure your wife that it will never take the place of her. Because I know in my heart if I couldn't ride I would not be happy, especially if someone else was prompting me not to have what I love and enjoy so dearly.

:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
665 Posts
I gave better reasons to my wife for buying the 9. Seeing so much sufferings and death, I told her that I am not waiting anymore. Worst case scenario, 'What if 2012 is real':joke: I got to have the bike.;)

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hell yea, I couldn't agree more

Now something I didn't post until now is that we have 3 horses. I know that it's less likely to be lethal when thrown from a horse but try to tell that to Christopher Reeves.

My case for a new bike was that my wife has been thrown off her horse. She's also been stepped on, kicked and bitten. I know that my chances for another accident are higher the more I ride a bike but I know that you get what I'm trying to say......

:dontknow:

Well guys I know you've heard all of this before!

You could fall down the steps, you could slip in the shower, and a whole lot of other senario's, of which could cause varying degree's of injuries. Soooooo! What cha gonna do?

:eek:

Now on the other hand, we could, and do love our 9's very dearly, however they could never take the place of our beloved wives by no means. They just don't compare. We all realize the fear they have when we venture out on our beasts.

And depending on our individual personality traits, some wives will worry more than others, due to your varying riding habits. If they know you and how you ride.

I know I worry about my wife every time she leaves the house, because I know her spending habits. :joke:

I am very concerned for her safety, and I know she is concerned for mine when I am out riding, but we can't let every little concern stop us from living and enjoying our lives.

Remember the happier you are, the less problems you are going to cause someone else.

So on that note, buy your new 9 whenever you feel comfortable, and reassure your wife that it will never take the place of her. Because I know in my heart if I couldn't ride I would not be happy, especially if someone else was prompting me not to have what I love and enjoy so dearly.

:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
890 Posts
Been riden since I was 15 years old I knew when I was riden my bicycle that there was going to be a motorcycle under me as soon as I could make it happen ant changed my mind yet and Im 55 I enjoy the 9 more than the past dozen or so Ive owned over the years thats just the way its gona be.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
All about priorities. Give her some time like she asked (sometimes you need compromise ) and if she is "the one" don't ever bring up the divorce topic. Just my opinion

·
Registered
608 Posts
I tried posting something similar a few weeks back and I was met with a lot of men taking issues with me having issues with how a men felt about me wanting to ride.

I'd like to respond with something helpful but I don't think I will, for fear of drama it could cause. I'm sure the men here will step up and offer you lots of advice.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Kaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay !

Now something I didn't post until now is that we have 3 horses. I know that it's less likely to be lethal when thrown from a horse but try to tell that to Christopher Reeves.

My case for a new bike was that my wife has been thrown off her horse. She's also been stepped on, kicked and bitten. I know that my chances for another accident are higher the more I ride a bike but I know that you get what I'm trying to say......
A horse is nothing more than an organic motorcycle, all the dangers exist, cept you won't be inclined to step in motorcycle poop!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mike1 said it best. He's absolutely right.

Bottom line is you will never convince her with statistics and logic. Women are just wired differently.

Now even if you were willing to give up riding, all that would do is build resentment which could eventually be disastrous to your marraige.

You just need to reassure her that she is important and you love her very much.

Tell her that riding makes you happy and you would NEVER ask her to give up something that brought her joy. You want to make her happy but it's not fair for her to ask you to give up something so dear to your heart.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
We all need to have outlets for things we truly enjoy and for 99.9% of us on this forum a major one is riding our motorcycles. We all have different reasons and some ride more than others but it's very, very easy to fall in love with being on two wheels, wind in your face, the freedom of the road, the camaraderie of fellow bikers that share the same passion...etc.

I know that if I couldn't ride anymore for one reason or another just seeing a biker go down the road on a sunny afternoon would about kill me inside to see.

Tbar you've been down here recently on the bike and you've been in treatment for a month on a seperate issue so your wife has been through alot. Even though I'm a guy I can sympathize with your wife's perspective. Good women are very hard to come by and if you are married to one then I'd do whatever you can to hold on to her. Sounds like she's reasonable enough and March 1st. is only 3 months away. :bigthumbsup:

Looking forward to what you end up getting. In the meantime just keep being a stable & understanding husband and that will help put your wife more at ease with getting back on the ironhorse. :doorag:

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I told mine right out of the gate bike goes I go with it. Also she's accussed me of loving it more. I tell her, Of course I dohehe.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I was in a wreck in 2001 in which I was hurt pretty bad. My last one was on Nov 2nd. At first when I said that I was going to another bike ASAP my wife said that I couldn't have another one. I told her that if that were the case that she was going to force my hand and that we might want to consider splitting up. She said that I loved my motorcycle more than her. Now I told her that that isn't true but she was still convinced of that.

Following a long talk in which I said that I was going to own another bike whether she liked it or not she agreed to it but only after Mar 1st. Now I understand that she looks at it as if she might loose me but I remind her that if I do die I'm worth 1.5 million. I know that she loves me and doesn't want to lose me. She is a very special woman and I love her alot. However, riding and having my head in the breeze is a love that I'm just not willing to give up.

Come On March 1st----------------------------------:drool:
Tbar, Everything we do in life has some form of risk attached to it!
If it is what you really love doing, then life is to short not to have another bike. Your wife should realise it is what you need and agree to it, she doesn't have to like it but she shouldn't stop you.

I tried posting something similar a few weeks back and I was met with a lot of men taking issues with me having issues with how a men felt about me wanting to ride.

I'd like to respond with something helpful but I don't think I will, for fear of drama it could cause. I'm sure the men here will step up and offer you lots of advice.
Blondie you are intitled to voice your opinion here the same as anyone else, if people don't like it thats their proplem!! they should not be sending you PM's giving you a hard time about it!! Post away..

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Try to see her side

I think anyone who rides will have someone who cares for them. The best thing is to try and understand her point of view. Just think about all that you've been through since Nov 2nd. You didn't go through all that by yourself.

With the accident and then being in the VA hospital with personal issues may have just been a strain on her that we as men can't understand. As was already pointed out women are wired diffrently they will think from a more emotional point of view.

Instead of thinking she doesn't understand just think how great it is that she even cares enough. If you love this women as much as you've stated I'd be appoligizing for telling her that you "might have to consider splitting up". That's hurtful to a women who's been through so much with you.

Just my .02 don't mean to offend.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts