Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Start over

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, the sound this pipe makes is unbelievable. Seriously. It has crazy low frequency. I am using the same muffler that many have already tried ( starting with the crafty JR ). It's too bad that I muffed the heat shields, but I could not just let this pipe sit. So, I high temp painted it flat black and reinstalled it ( warts and all ). Now, that it is back on, I think it has potential. Sort of mean and industrial.

I am leaning towards losing the clamps, trying to grind down some of the welds, and do a better job of painting them.
Here are some pics from the job, yesterday.

*update* - added sound clips. They are both large, so keep that in mind when you click the links.

SOUND CLIP 1
http://xpguy.com/images/MOV00597.MPG

SOUND CLIP 2 ( Please, remember its a digital camera, not the best for this kind of stuff )
http://xpguy.com/images/MOV00600.MPG

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Looks great guy !!
I would leave em alone. I have a question though. What will the heat do to that black paint. Will it last? Will it discolor, peel. What kind of paint is that.
:bigthumbsup:

G

·
Canuk said:
Looks great guy !!
I would leave em alone. I have a question though. What will the heat do to that black paint. Will it last? Will it discolor, peel. What kind of paint is that.
:bigthumbsup:
To quote him:

So, I high temp painted it flat black and reinstalled it ( warts and all )

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
I'd probably get the black pipe wrap stuff and wrap that around it. they make it for mufflers and stuff. Kinda looks like an ace bandage

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Good job bud. I think either leave em alone, or if the booger welds look bad, then wrap them in black header wrap.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Looks good :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
looks nice. ya might consider some small chrome heat shields with holes in it (like machine gun barrel vents). i think they'd look good with the black behind it. i've seen a couple of custom exhausts like that, and they looks great.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I like the black.  :bigthumbsup:  think I would 'wrap' it to get burn protection and  cover the joining etc. Would like to see a black 'can'  on one also..that would look good.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, for the quick responses.

The paint I used was Duplicolor 1200 deg flat black. Just enough to cover. I wanted to see what I had to work with really quick. Here is a clip of the exhaust. I was surprised how well my digital camera did. Although, the mic was not picking up the low frequency stuff. I was also being respectful to my neighbors and did not twist the wick very hard. Later, I will take it out and try again where I don't need to be quiet.

You will also notice the higher idle. That's from the maniac resistor mod holding my RPMs up by about 200

SOUND CLIP 1
http://xpguy.com/images/MOV00597.MPG

SOUND CLIP 2 ( Please, remember its a digital camera, not the best for this kind of stuff )
http://xpguy.com/images/MOV00600.MPG

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
that looks awesome.I do know that header wrap will not protect you from burns to your legs.AND...if you get black,it will turn a gray color after a little time.I however....love the header wrapped look.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Looks Good :bigthumbsup: :D :doorag: You Da Man :D

I would go with the Header Rap also and the Machine gun style Heat Shields JMHO :bigthumbsup: Later Silentrider

·
Registered
732 Posts
Looks Great man.. keep up the good work..Was just wandering though if ya ever gotta around to making that colt's bike that i reqested? Just curious that's all. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I noticed you didn't get the Throttle Boss!
I have the same Grips and the throttle Boss Man it's Great well worth $15 It works so well i still haven't got around to putting the Breakaway on yet :D

Just make sure if you get it to Put it were it just Barely touches Your hand and you will love it! I forget its even on there some times!
The first ride i had it to high and thought what a waste of money, cause i couldn't regulate the throttle i was Real jerky coming out the drive way cause it was in the way! But after Rolling it down a little I can't see how i made it with out it! :D :bigthumbsup:
It's By far the BEST Low cost mod I have added to My bike IMHO
Try it you will Like it :bigthumbsup: Later silentrider

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
thanks for the vids, sounds smooth and viscious. i'd clamp down the can to the frame, it looks like it's flexing too much.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts