M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I started off with a piece of 1/4" plexiglass and cut 2 pieces to match the size of the airbox. I then placed it them on the airbox and traced the filter opening and all of the bolt holes. Next I pulled the rubber adapter out of the new filter. I then placed the new Spectre filter centered on the plexi and traced the outline of the filter. Then I drew a circle 1/2" smaller than the outside of the filter. I cut everything out with a jigsaw. After that I ran the outside edge on a router to round it over. I also did the filter opening. After that I sanded the edges with 220, 400, 600, and 1000 grit sandpaper to get the router marks out.

I used a PVC end cap to fill the hole in the box.

I then took the plastic off of the backside of the plexi and painted them flat black. This will show nice and glossy through the oustide of the plexi. You can use whatever color you like to go good with your bike.

I used all stainless allen bolts from the local hardware store. These 3 need to go through the plexi before you install the filter.

NOTE disreguard these bolts. It is too much of a pain in the ass to get nuts on the back and try to fit a socket in the recess. The only bolts holding the plexi onto the box are the two outer visible bolts. They are enough to get a tight seal all around.

I used 1/4" self adhesive foam weatherstrip around the perimeter of the filter. The filter is secured to the plexi with hex head stainless sheet metal screws.

On the backside of the plexi I used 1/2" self adhesive weatherstrip.

The plug is sealed with silicone.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Looks cool. Mine hits my leg when I ride. Do you have clearance when your on the bike? I am going to have to change mine. yours looks like it has more clearance than mine. Nice work.
Bob

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I sat on it and it seems to clear my legs.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,149 Posts
Looks great bro, excellent work! :bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

I like the idea of painting the back of it so it still looks glossy on the front. I did the same thing with a clear bug shield on my truck.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
very unique design and a great write up on the how-to aspect of it. it looks really good, i just hope you have enough clearance from your leg when you're riding it.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
:bigthumbsup: like the big air......

:dontknow: on the headlight.... the 9 is the headlight IMHO and shouldnt be changed to a VTX headlight... But thats me, and its yours, and you do what you like!! ;)

Ride Safe!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think the stripe on the headlight always gives you an optical illusion making it look like it is always pointed down. Everybody I know says the only thing they would change on the bike is the headlight. I have been thinking about doing it for 2 years now and I am finally acting on it. It will give the bike a more custom look. You could argue that on anything on a bike that is changed out for cosmetic reasons. I wish they had the orange one when I bought mine. If I had any other color I would not have changed the light.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got about $80 into it and about 3 hours or so.

how much time and money did you have into this?

Im like you if its make able why buy it, you just saved about 500$-$800.

And probably only had less then $100 in your project

·
Registered
744 Posts
:bigthumbsup: That looks great. It's nice when you have a one of a kind mod that looks just as good or even better than the mass produced over priced mods. Great job, and thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Did you grind down the internals of the airbox so that the plexi would mount flush? I looked at the factory screw mounts and they look thin.
I did not modify the stock boxes in any way. The plexi sits flush with the bosses for the bolts and the foam around the outside filles in the 1/4" gap.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I did not modify the stock boxes in any way. The plexi sits flush with the bosses for the bolts and the foam around the outside filles in the 1/4" gap.
Awesome, ive been contemplating the exact same mod on my M90, but didnt want to cut the stock boxes up. Now im gonna just do it, one question but, how does it fair with moisture ? u know like if u get caught out in the rain?

1 - 20 of 81 Posts