M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 233 Posts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have been thinking of this for a while and had done some prep work for it while I had the bike torn down for the winter, but tonight I started working on my 'trunk'.

I removed the battery box and moved the cpu and all of the wiring and such under the box.

I dropped the air ride all the way and padded out the wheel and swingarm so I would have clearance once the inlay was set.

I set in several layers of carbon fiber and it is drying now.

Once it is dry, I can tidy it up, get the battery back in there and I'll have quite a bit of storage under the seat.

Just thought I would share.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,865 Posts
Great idea SR, can't wait to see how that turns out. One thing I miss on this bike is having some place to put small stuff.

·
Radio Active Member
27,669 Posts
Looks good, keep us posted on the progress and the final mod. Looking forward to seeing it in June. Glad to see that you got to use all of that carbon fiber you got at a great deal.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Way to use your noodle. Looks cool.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great idea SR, can't wait to see how that turns out. One thing I miss on this bike is having some place to put small stuff.
Not just for small stuff.

I had it mocked up last year with a cut up portion plastic. It gives you about as much space as one sadle bag.

On the ride to OC MD, I had 2 pair of jeans, 2 pair of socks, 2 pair of boxers, 2 T-shirts, a sweatshirt, deoderant and a razor in there. With just one pair of jeans instead, I was able to fit my HP mini in there as well. On several occasions, I even fit my leather jacket in there for use later on when I expected it to be cold.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just for size demonstration, I put the battery in there so you could get a feel for it with something familiar.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
115 views and 5 responses?

I thought this would be a bigger hit than my intake mod. :dontknow:

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Didn't you come to OC bike week and have it gutted?
Yes.

It was gutted and just lined with plastic. That is the trip to OC mentioned above.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,865 Posts
Just for size demonstration, I put the battery in there so you could get a feel for it with something familiar.
That's much better. In the first picture I couldn't tell how deep it was and was thinking with the battery in it you would lose a lot of space.

I like it even more now. :D

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Great idea:bigthumbsup:. Looks like I'll have to take a ride up and see it first hand. I need that done before OC this year.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great idea:bigthumbsup:. Looks like I'll have to take a ride up and see it first hand. I need that done before OC this year.
I think we are supposed to get some good weather later this week or maybe the weekend. I'll be ready to ride, so let me know when you are free.

This one is not a simple afternoon mod. I have about 60 hours into working everything out, but could provably do it again in 20. Maybe this winter we can do this to your bike, when it can stay in my garage for a week or so. I would love to work out a kit as I have already had a retailer ask if I could make kits for them to stock and that was when it was just lined with the plastic.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I think we are supposed to get some good weather later this week or maybe the weekend. I'll be ready to ride, so let me know when you are free.

This one is not a simple afternoon mod. I have about 60 hours into working everything out, but could provably do it again in 20. Maybe this winter we can do this to your bike, when it can stay in my garage for a week or so. I would love to work out a kit as I have already had a retailer ask if I could make kits for them to stock and that was when it was just lined with the plastic.
I'm tied up for Saturday, but Sunday I'm pretty much open.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
430 Posts
is your battery sitting on the key side or the throttle side? Mine is an 06 and iut sits on the throttle side, but your looks different from mine. just curious.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Good idea. I would never try to tackle something like this on my own honestly.

These types of mods always make me think "Why didn't Suzuki just do that in the first place??"..............Then it hits me, it would probably hurt their sales on saddlebags. :dontknow:

SR if you were willing (once your done on yours) to do a full "how to" thread on this or even better yet to make & sell some of these newly designed compartments I think you'd be surprised as to how many guys would be interested in ordering them. I'd be one of them. Most of us would just need some clear step by step info/pics on the best way to move the electronics.

:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I enjoy reading what you are trying or have done to the bike. I do not reply much as I do not have the skills or talent to do the things you are doing. Keep up the mods and wish I had 1/2 your skills.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I see that there appears to be an open side, opposite the battery. Do you think stuff like keys and other small stuff could fall out that hole?

would it be a big deal to put a wall there to hold stuff in? I suppose if you packed larger stuff there first, it would prevent that situation.

G

·
Looks friggin awesome

how do you access your electronics in the event you need to replace a fuse? easy to get to kinda thing?

Looks awesome and after looking at mine there's a LOT fo wasted space...good mod!

1 - 20 of 233 Posts