M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i have had this on my bike for about 2 months and have have it in my garage apart for 80% of the time fixing the damn thing. First the switch broke and to wait a week for a new one then i was riding one day a the damn thing leaked and it let all the air out, ruining my tire. so i got my truck and went and got it. i have a metal manifold from the guy hink told me about but it was leaking from the piece that has the electrical wiring on it so i called and they are shipping my a new manifold assy. hope that it will fix the problem i told them about the tire and it did take the black paint off the inner wheel well but they wanted pics so i took some pics and honestly you could not see the damage on the tire in the pic so i just said screw it i am not going to to try to hash that out i just want it to be ridable again.

??????:edit::edit:

·
Registered
913 Posts
Im not sticking up for arnott, but I have yet to break my switch and Ive had my arnott for 1.5 years now. The new plastic manifolds do suck. Now how did you ruin your tire? If you have lowering bones and you didnt grind down the two bolts in the wheel fender, you cant ride slammed.

So if you rubbed ur wheel well, you must be lowered and you prob didnt grind down the two bolts. So thats not Arnotts mistake. I can ride slammed all day long with no problems. I have stock bones and i grinded down the two bolts.

I understand ur rant about ur system leaking, but your tire is your fault. Sorry bro, just my opinion

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im not sticking up for arnott, but I have yet to break my switch and Ive had my arnott for 1.5 years now. The new plastic manifolds do suck. Now how did you ruin your tire? If you have lowering bones and you didnt grind down the two bolts in the wheel fender, you cant ride slammed.

So if you rubbed ur wheel well, you must be lowered and you prob didnt grind down the two bolts. So thats not Arnotts mistake. I can ride slammed all day long with no problems. I have stock bones and i grinded down the two bolts.

I understand ur rant about ur system leaking, but your tire is your fault. Sorry bro, just my opinion
well a bumpy road and 65 mph did help when the tire smacked the wheel well. it happen on the high way

·
Registered
913 Posts
well a bumpy road and 65 mph did help when the tire smacked the wheel well. it happen on the high way
Last summer, my exhaust ports on my manifold were stuck open from salt air corrosion. I had to ride 12 miles home completly slammed. No problem with my wheel rubbing anywhere at speeds over 60mph. My only problem was cornering and taking turns. I scraped all the time. When you are completly slammed, its like riding a hardtail or on a strutt. There is no bouncing. Your spine is the shock

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
if it wasnt for all the troubles on the NEW ones I would have one NOW! BUT I am gonna wait for them to fix it before I buy.... .. Sucks for all the problems...

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
if it wasnt for all the troubles on the NEW ones I would have one NOW! BUT I am gonna wait for them to fix it before I buy.... .. Sucks for all the problems...
:agree: The Arnott and the Kewlmetal systems have too many troubles for me to drop that much coin on.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
The Arnott and the Kewlmetal systems have too many troubles for me to drop that much coin on.
:agree: Sometimes I think by us putting on too many aftermarket parts its a recipe for disaster. Some idea's sound good on paper but in reality they just don't seem to hold up and its just one more item you have to service, maintain, worry about, spend money on...etc.

I'm not sure the air-ride systems are for everyday riding type abuse. To me there more for showing off at shows or at the local watering holes. I only say that because of all the leak issues I've heard about. I know I'd be very frustrated and upset to spend that kind of money and then to have a bunch of issues with it.

I'm sticking with my 1.5" fixed lowering bones. :doorag:

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
I think Lucky06 would greatly disagree with you on this.. 8)
Probably BUT Lord knows that he has had many, many issues with his air ride. Chad has a very mature outlook in all the problems he has faced with his bike. I wish I could say I would have as good of an attitude as he has, but I would be madder than a wet, setting hen.... :D

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Negative bro.... I would not second guess any type of riding just because of my airride..

I think Lucky06 would greatly disagree with you on this as well.. 8)
Funny you mention that because me & Chad talked about this very thing only a couple weeks ago. His has had a slow leak for months now and he's about tired of it. He has to adjust it through the day to keep it up to a certain height as he rides.

I don't think you'll get a big vote of confidence from him on this issue bro.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I've had mine on for a couple of months now. I put the billet manifold on from hink from the get go and have not had one problem. Holds air fine with no leaks at all. But the big thing is the ride comfort. Like night and day compared to the stock shock. Love it! No complaints here.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
LOL,, been there myself at times with my airiride..... I was just saying that i find the airirde to be more for my comfort than just showing off.... though i do love the attention :D
Don't get me wrong I love the slammed look when it's parked. I just wish I heard better overall performance from them without all the issues. I haven't ridden one so I couldn't comment on the comfort of the ride however.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I've had my issues as well with Arnott. Went to the tail of the dragon, I get an air leak. Not a good thing in the twistees but once I filled it up completely I was fine. My mechanic installed the Hink manifold and also something from Arnott (they claimed alot of people over tighten the bolt and break the plastic manifold)

Last month, I go to the GA ride in Macon and I can't lower it! Arnott is sending a new piece that controls the release of air (a magnet or something).

For several months I didn't have any problems but lately I've had these. Maybe after this fix I will be good to go?

I really like my Arnott air, but for the price of the system these issues should have been resolved before.

Ask me in a couple of months if I recommend them!

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Negative bro.... I would not second guess any type of riding just because of my airride..I have cruised as well as hit the twisties hard without fear..

I think Lucky06 would greatly disagree with you on this as well.. 8)
Your definitely right!!! When everything is clicking on the system I wouldn't second guess it at all!! My only issue is that I've gotten so use to ridding it lowered that when we hit the mountains I would forget to raise the darn thing back up which decreased the life expectancy of the lower header pipe even more! :doh:

Funny you mention that because me & Chad talked about this very thing only a couple weeks ago. His has had a slow leak for months now and he's about tired of it. He has to adjust it through the day to keep it up to a certain height as he rides.

I don't think you'll get a big vote of confidence from him on this issue bro.
It's Still leaking!! I thought I had it figured out when I took the manifold off and blew out any trash that may have been lodged, that didn't work. Then I replaced one of the rubber "O" rings in one of the valves, that didn't work!! Then I had Kewl Metal ship me to elbow fittings because I thought I found the issue when I seen some air leaking ( With Soapy Water) where the air line pushes into the elbow fitting, still didn't work. :cus: The funny thing is that I can fill the chamber with as much air as I want on the front side and it won't leak at all but when I tighten the shock up with the rebound side that is when the slow leak starts. :dontknow: So if anyone has a suggestion I am all ears. Trust me, I hate that I've had the issues and most have been minor problems here and there but they are aggravating as hell. I love everything about it from the way it rides, the versatility it offers and how it looks when it is slammed but it's getting old fast!!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Options???

Has anybody looked into other options?

I've come across many air shocks that look like they my fit that are designed for bikes. Many older rides had rear airshocks standard. Is there something special about the 9 I'm missing?

You can't see it, why are they all chrome?

I would think as long as they are designed for shock use and can be controlled for height it should work, Right?

If you get the length right, compressed and extended it should work, Right?

All of this is just my nature to do it with less impact of the wallet.

It seems many have had issues with the ones for the 9. I don't hear of these issues with all the car hoppers and their manifolds. Too big? They are 12v.

If the shock fits, install it, Right?

Or maybe I'm WAY off and it's all been tried before.

JM2Cents

·
Registered
913 Posts
Your definitely right!!! When everything is clicking on the system I wouldn't second guess it at all!! My only issue is that I've gotten so use to ridding it lowered that when we hit the mountains I would forget to raise the darn thing back up which decreased the life expectancy of the lower header pipe even more! :doh:

It's Still leaking!! I thought I had it figured out when I took the manifold off and blew out any trash that may have been lodged, that didn't work. Then I replaced one of the rubber "O" rings in one of the valves, that didn't work!! Then I had Kewl Metal ship me to elbow fittings because I thought I found the issue when I seen some air leaking ( With Soapy Water) where the air line pushes into the elbow fitting, still didn't work. :cus: The funny thing is that I can fill the chamber with as much air as I want on the front side and it won't leak at all but when I tighten the shock up with the rebound side that is when the slow leak starts. :dontknow: So if anyone has a suggestion I am all ears. Trust me, I hate that I've had the issues and most have been minor problems here and there but they are aggravating as hell. I love everything about it from the way it rides, the versatility it offers and how it looks when it is slammed but it's getting old fast!!!
I'm not familiar with the kewlmetal system, but which side is closer to the air line that goes to the compressor? Do you have an inline check valve? Maybe its not leaking on the shock, maybe its back feeding through the compressor

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's not chrome well at least the one they send os not chrome

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,869 Posts
I never had a bit of a problem with my KewlMetal air ride, but I just got tired of adjusting it. And no matter how good they are, it's just another problem waiting to happen. Air lines get worn or old and pop, solenoids get dirty and quit working, etc. Lowering bones are so much simpler and have no problems, other than you have to like the way they sit.

I kind of miss the coolness of slamming it, but not enough to put it back on.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts