M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep hearing the phrase that the Power Commander is better than all the other FI mods out especially the Cobra FI2000R.

I believe the current air/fuel ratio map in the 109 is pretty good. It seems to be a little lean on the low end and fat on the top end. This info is based on some dyno runs by guys on the board.

If we make a minor change to the bike (bore out the baffles or do the cheap air mod found on this site), I don't believe this is going to make a major change in the air/fuel ration needed/used by this bike. In these cases, I believe a simple type of device which can richen a range up or leave another range alone is a perfectly good device to use and very acceptable.

On the other hand. The Power Commander can make +/- changes to the map or fuel/air ration across the entire map & RPM range. Now in order to do this and not mess things up to much, I believe you need to know what your doing (How to tune a FI bike).

In addition, I believe you need a dyno and/or an exhaust gas analyzer to be able to do any kind of tuning. For most of us, a dyno is not in the future. Most of us do not have access to exhaust gas analyzers so that is a problem. It therefore becomes very difficult to tune this bike with a Power Commander unless we are duplicating someone else's setup/MAP & accessories (Pipes, Air mods...).

This is at best a compromise because the numbers (MAP) should be different in different parts of our country (Elevations/ temperature/ humidity...). This of course changes everyday but thats another problem.

I do believe in order to get max horsepower & torque, a power commander is the way to go as long as major changes have taken place (New pipes, Complete new Intake system, Internal engine mods...). Of course you will have to duplicate an existing setup or dyno tune your own bike (Expensive & time consuming).

I therefore think a FI2000R or similar devise will handle a lot of changes we make and stay in the ballpark (air/fuel ratio) with usage of such device. This especially includes all the folks who cannot duplicate a mod or do not have the extra money to do so.

Just my 50 cents worth concerning this controversy. :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I agree, once down to critical tuning and with more flow (pipes & air kit) the power commander will shine. for the most part the simple pot style tuners will work and are way cheaper too!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Each can give an oppinion, thats cool.....however again, I've been tuning bikes that people have "made small and large changes to" for 5 years. You would be shocked to find out exactly what happens even using a replacment air filter.

Sorry, the cobra & TFI do not compare to the pc3.....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts