M109 Rider Forums banner

My Silver Bullet in chrome

7K views 37 replies 27 participants last post by  M109LOVER 
#1 ·
Check it out...

#5 ·
Looks awesome althought i dont really care much for the windscreen. How much if you dont mind me asking ? did you take the wheels off yourself or did a shop do it for you ?

#7 ·
I pull them off myself and it ran me $500 for the wheels and $50 for the hub. If you do yours, here's a tip, the final drive hub and driveshaft comes off easy but re-stabbing the driveshaft was hard to do , you may get lucky, I sure didn't have any luck getting it done. The easiest and fastest way was to pull off the Secondary drive gear first, which is direcrtly linked to the universal yoke joint in front of the swingarm. You simply remove the plastic cover next to the crankcase(three screws), remove the small hex holding the oil plug with wires on it, then the four bolts holding the gear box. The uni joint will be right on that. Re-mount your Final drive and drivre shaft and take the uni joint from the Sec Drive Gear and slide it onto the end of the drive shaft at this end of the swingarm and now put the Secondary gear back onto the uni joint and slide the box back into place, re-bolt the box and re-add the oil, about two ounces, cause when you remove the gear the oil will come out but not much. Its the same oil you'll use when you remove and dis-assemble the Final drive Propeller gear for chroming. Oh yeah on the Final drive Propeller gear there are two screw holes that you use to pry the gear from the hub after you remove all the screws. you find the screw that fit into the holes and simply screw them in at the same time and it will lift itself right out. But Overall it was easy to do.

#10 ·
Thanks! for ALL the comments the AGREES and the DISAGREES everybody has there own, that's what makes LIFE so GREAAT! I had Polished Rims before and after a while, about a year the shine start to dull and the elbow grease it took for me was to much so I vowed to chrome everything after that. For Me it's much easier, just soap and water and some paper towels. Good Luck and RIDE SAFE!

#12 ·
look great i want to do my wheels but the chromer is telling me 4-6 wks. needless to say it's riding season i don't want my bike down for that long..how long did it take to get done and in what state did you get it done at

thanks
sixshooter

#16 ·
very nice man. i was borderline between chroming and polishing...think i'm gonna go chrome after seeing how awesome yours look.

#19 ·
I have the silver one too. Your wheels really look choice. That with the chroming may be a nice winter investment :D In Germany we can only ride about 6-7 months out of the year if we are lucky so the last thing I want right now is that the bike 1 day is in the shop if it isn´t a must ;)

#22 ·
The chrome wheels make it a different bike altogether. First thing I told my buds I was going to do was chrome mine out as well. That was before seeing yours. Now that I have, not chroming them isn't even an option. I expect it will make even a more dramatic difference on mine......(being black)

Great mod!

#26 ·
bonnteen said:
I pull them off myself and it ran me $500 for the wheels and $50 for the hub. If you do yours, here's a tip, the final drive hub and driveshaft comes off easy but re-stabbing the driveshaft was hard to do , you may get lucky, I sure didn't have any luck getting it done. The easiest and fastest way was to pull off the Secondary drive gear first, which is direcrtly linked to the universal yoke joint in front of the swingarm. You simply remove the plastic cover next to the crankcase(three screws), remove the small hex holding the oil plug with wires on it, then the four bolts holding the gear box. The uni joint will be right on that. Re-mount your Final drive and drivre shaft and take the uni joint from the Sec Drive Gear and slide it onto the end of the drive shaft at this end of the swingarm and now put the Secondary gear back onto the uni joint and slide the box back into place, re-bolt the box and re-add the oil, about two ounces, cause when you remove the gear the oil will come out but not much. Its the same oil you'll use when you remove and dis-assemble the Final drive Propeller gear for chroming. Oh yeah on the Final drive Propeller gear there are two screw holes that you use to pry the gear from the hub after you remove all the screws. you find the screw that fit into the holes and simply screw them in at the same time and it will lift itself right out.  But Overall it was easy to do.
what is the name of the chromer in texas you used?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.