M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday while on a pleasure ride down here in Florida I came upon 3 or 4 buzzards on the side of the road. Just as I was about to pass them, one decided to fly up in front of me. With no time to react, I hunkered down behind my Rifle Solo X and gritted my teeth for the impact. I was running about 65 or 70. The 25 lb bird stuck the right side of my wind screen and tumbled away. All I heard was a loud crack. The bird just missed my girlfriend behind me on her Honda Fury. The wind screen was shattered and the right side of the mounting hardware was bent back. The right hand mirror was bent down and looking at the ground. It never yanked the handle bars or even made me swerve. I slowed to about 50 mph and pulled away the broken lexan that was wedged around the wind screen and handle bars. There was no safe place to stop so we rode on. As soon as we came upon a store I pulled in and checked myself and the bike for damage. Luckily the Rifle Solo X took the brunt of the bird strike and everything else survived in tact. All I could say to my girlfriend was "Holy Christ, did you see the size of that bug?".
. 100_0378.jpg 100_0379.jpg 100_0380.jpg

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
YOu are very lucky. Living in FLorida, I dread seeing the huddled mass of birds on the side of the road. I've had a few close calls ( rode under a wing before!), but never hit one bigger than a bluejay. IF you contact Rifle, their replacement shields are only $99.

-Josh

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Another great story is being protected while riding..........Glad that was all that happened. When I went to Idaho to meet a rider, we were doing about a buck 30 and a flock of small black birds flew in front. One hit my left mirror/hand and vaporized. We pulled over and all i saw was blood all over the left side of me and my jacket/helmet.......

I am a firm believer in these protective devices!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
16,260 Posts
Holy shyt man that's crazy!! So did you go back for the bird for dinner? :dontknow:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
YOu are very lucky. Living in FLorida, I dread seeing the huddled mass of birds on the side of the road. I've had a few close calls ( rode under a wing before!), but never hit one bigger than a bluejay. IF you contact Rifle, their replacement shields are only $99.

-Josh
Thanks Josh, I already contacted them and hope to get a replacement soon. The Toy Run is in a week but it is doubtful that it will be here in time. Gonna have to go with out.

As for going back to eat the nasty buzzard....I'll pass. I did threaten to go back and put a round in the bird if he wasn't dead. My girlfriend assured me that he was no longer with us. Stupid bird!:mad::(" smilieid="18" class="inlineimg" border="0">

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Yesterday while on a pleasure ride down here in Florida I came upon 3 or 4 buzzards on the side of the road. Just as I was about to pass them, one decided to fly up in front of me. With no time to react, I hunkered down behind my Rifle Solo X and gritted my teeth for the impact. I was running about 65 or 70. The 25 lb bird stuck the right side of my wind screen and tumbled away. All I heard was a loud crack. The bird just missed my girlfriend behind me on her Honda Fury. The wind screen was shattered and the right side of the mounting hardware was bent back. The right hand mirror was bent down and looking at the ground. It never yanked the handle bars or even made me swerve. I slowed to about 50 mph and pulled away the broken lexan that was wedged around the wind screen and handle bars. There was no safe place to stop so we rode on. As soon as we came upon a store I pulled in and checked myself and the bike for damage. Luckily the Rifle Solo X took the brunt of the bird strike and everything else survived in tact. All I could say to my girlfriend was "Holy Christ, did you see the size of that bug?".
. View attachment 77467 View attachment 77468 View attachment 77469
I am glad you and the girlfriend are OK! Next time you see Vultures on the side of the road SLOW down and use the horn. They always have flown off for me doing that. Also they don't weigh 25lbs. Fl. Vultures weigh 3.5 to 5.5 lbs and is a big bird. In comparison a female FL. Bald Eagle that also will eat carrion on the side of the road can weigh 9 lbs. Both birds are protected by Federal law. Ride safe and look out for all wildlife as they can ruin your ride in a hurry.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I hit a dove (or it hit me) awhile ago. I did the same thing by ducking down at the last minute...I do not know where the impact was but it exploded with feathers everywhere! I was spitting out tiny feathers that came up under my helmet somehow -- probaby just one feather but it seemed like a lot. It was nothing like what happened to your bike but now I am glad it was just a dove! Glad you were okay.

·
Registered
8,311 Posts
Shield did its job !! Glad you two are all good..those big birds hurt when you take them in the chops :eek:

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
I think the shield is made from acrylic. If it had been made from lexan, I doubt that it would have broken. Lexan is a lot tougher than acrylic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts