M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been bits and pieces posted about our ride back but I just wanted to highlight a few things.

I take back what I said at first about this bike not being a good long distance bike. My first impression of the bike was that this was still going to fall more into the sportbike class as far as comfort goes, boy was I wrong. :redfaced: I have been across country a few times on my Valkyrie and once on my Boss and I thought those were some of the best cruisers for a long haul. After riding the 109 for 900+ miles in two days I can see no reason why this wouldn't be a good cross country bike too. There were no issues with vibration or numb hands and the seat was no better or no worst than any other seat after 300 miles. The bike was just as smooth as could be and the fuel mileage was better than any bike I've ever owned. Even running between 80mph and 100mph I still got 37.5 mpg. :doorag: The only thing I need to make it better is to add a drivers backrest. I'm going to work on that this week. Jon at Bushtech is going to put a trailer hitch on it for me as a backup in case I don't get the Boss done for the Sturgis trip. I really don't see how I'm going to get the Boss done in time now but I don't feel too bad about taking the 109 instead. It's a great bike. :bigthumbsup:

The first day I rode with Hal and the weather was pretty bad for at least half of the trip, rain and cold. I think I had hypothermia because I couldn't quit shaking. :eek: We wound up stopping at a Walmart and I bought all dry pants, shirt and socks. I just left the wet stuff there. After about an hour I quit shaking and I was fine the rest of the trip. My new M109R jacket was still soaked to the bone and it felt like it weighed 25 lbs. :confused:
Hal on the other hand was dry from the waist up and didn't seem near as cold as me. The only difference was he had a windshield and I didn't. ::) The shield was not that big but it sure did a good job of keeping him dry. If I had known had cold I was going to get I would have made a shield work on my bike too. I guess it was a good test to see if it was worth having or not. I just wish I was the guy testing the shield. ;) We did a little over 500 miles that day and if the weather wasn't so bad I think we could have done 700 easy.

The next day Hal took off early and I spent a lot of time in a hot shower. I left about 7:30 and got home about 12:30. That was a 400+ day and the weather was perfect. I would fuel up about every 150 miles and I pretty much went at a good clip the whole way. There were a ton of bikes out that day and I past a bunch of Harley groups and even rode in the middle of some of them for some time. :doorag: Not sure if they were cool with that or not but at least they were doing about 90 mph so I wasn't like I had to hang back to ride with them. When I would get bored I would wick it up to 120 or so and just feel the power of those massive jugs doing their thing. :bigthumbsup:

All in all I got to say that for me this is just about the perfect V-twin. It has the looks, the handling, the power and the sound that I was wanting and it is totally different then any other V-twin that I've owned. I think this is going to be a good and long lasting relationship. :D

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Something I forgot to mention. When we were in the heavy rain and Hal was in front of me all I could see is Hal's tailight. You couldn't see the car's or trucks at all but the 109's tailight stood out great!. With the PIAA headlight and the stock LED in the rear I felt that at least we could be seen in bad weather. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Lamount I think a drivers backrest would be an excellent product to develop especially if it fits the stock seat. You could count me in! :doorag:

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Great overview ! thanks again for keeping us upto date....by the way...did you see the pic of the Boss I took for you...its in the pics section under Va ride...you have to scroll down a tad but it's there.

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
EAGLEFAN67 said:
Great overview ! thanks again for keeping us upto date....by the way...did you see the pic of the Boss I took for you...its in the pics section under Va ride...you have to scroll down a tad but it's there.
Thanks, I missed that. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
525 Posts
Good read. I am glad you had fun.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I'm glad you found the seat comfy ,the same cant be said for me ....went on a 150 mile ride and after about 45 minutes into the ride my butt started going numb and just got worst from then on. Other than that ,the bike performed flawlessly.
Could it be because I'm a lightweight guy (160lbs)? Who knows ,but will have to do something about it if i wanna go on long trips happily.

Cant afford a one of those three-four hundred dollar seat.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Frequent stops for Burritos or wings will keep a nice cushion of gas between you and the seat alleviating that problem :D :joke: :D :joke:

PS DO NOT EAT THE HOTTEST WINGS AND BURP IN YOUR HELMET!!!!!!
My eye teared so bad I had to pull over as I could not get the shield open fast enough. :)

·
Registered
600 Posts
:a20: :yikes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts