M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I used mobil 1 4T 10w40 prior to switching to amsoil 20w50. Heard and read about how it reduces engine noise and shifting becomes smoother, so i decided to give it a shot. After a 40 mile ride, my bike shifts like crap and 1st to 2nd gear @#$#$%#$%@#%. With mobil, 1st to 2nd shifts had a clunk to it but never ever failed to go to 2nd. With amsoil, I feel like not going to have a 2nd gear after 1000 miles if I continue use crap. It grinded a few times and failed to go to 2nd 3 times. Oh, did i mention that this has never happened with mobil 1. The engine noise is about the same and the engine seems to feel a little hotter (outside temp 74 deg) but, I have no way confirming that. I going to give amsoil another 100 miles. If the shifting doesn't get any better, I'm dumping that sucker out and going back to mobil 1.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I've never heard a bad report on Amsoil but never used it either.
I am happy with the Mobil racing 4T and never miss 2nd gear now. ???

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
5,767 Posts
I ran the 20-50 once and found shifting to be harder. I am now running the Amsoil 10-40 and love it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I've heard a lot about these bikes not liking full synthetic oils. I have 2 pals that say the bike "eats" fully synthetic oil. 1 other guy I know of locked his engine up using amsoil. I ride off road as well, and there are a lot of racers that use amsoil... in my dirt bike, I run HP4 from ProHonda with no issues.

I've always used the synthetic blend from suzuki, and I've not had any issues. I'm at 14k miles. shifting feels about the same as it did when I bought the bike. I always pre-load the shifter. considering that our engine was designed as a "performance v-twin", you can expect things like a stiffer clutch spring, higher compression.etc. I've heard that the shift kit for this bike does help quite a bit.. but I don't think you're gonna get the engine to be any quieter..

I would consider going to another brand of oil, but I'm hesitant to change when what I'm using works.

Some guys run 10/40 or 20/50 depending on the season. I've run 10/40 year round since 07.

my 2 cents.. hope it helps :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
378 Posts
Full synthic RP 20/50

No promblem with it, used regular car full synthic on all my bikes and have had no issues.but I do changed mine on a regular.But I will keep you posted if i have any issues regarding this vtwin, thes rest were big liter bikes zx12 and my zx14.

I do notice a better shift with 20/50. I had some oil puking issues i am going to see how this goes with this oil since i have changed to what i believe is the right amount.

·
Registered
257 Posts
No promblem with it, used regular car full synthic on all my bikes and have had no issues.but I do changed mine on a regular.But I will keep you posted if i have any issues regarding this vtwin, thes rest were big liter bikes zx12 and my zx14.

I do notice a better shift with 20/50. I had some oil puking issues i am going to see how this goes with this oil since i have changed to what i believe is the right amount.
not sure if car/truck oil meets all the standards for use in HP vtwins (like JASO).. but you'd want to be careful about that.. different detergents and other agents etc... you might never have a problem.. but its something to research.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
I've heard a lot about these bikes not liking full synthetic oils. I have 2 pals that say the bike "eats" fully synthetic oil. 1 other guy I know of locked his engine up using amsoil.

The motor that was LOCKED UP was that VERIFIED that the oil was the cause?

I've heard that the shift kit for this bike does help quite a bit.. but I don't think you're gonna get the engine to be any quieter..

The shift kit helps quiet a bit IMHO. I run Amsoil 20-50 and it has quieted mine down. Also no oil puking or eating of oil. :bigthumbsup:

Some guys run 10/40 or 20/50 depending on the season. I've run 10/40 year round since 07.

my 2 cents.. hope it helps :bigthumbsup:
I have been running Amsoil for over 25,000 miles and NO problems. :bigthumbsup:
I say run what works for you. :bigthumbsup:

G

·
I used mobil 1 4T 10w40 prior to switching to amsoil 20w50. Heard and read about how it reduces engine noise and shifting becomes smoother, so i decided to give it a shot. After a 40 mile ride, my bike shifts like crap and 1st to 2nd gear @#$#$%#$%@#%. With mobil, 1st to 2nd shifts had a clunk to it but never ever failed to go to 2nd. With amsoil, I feel like not going to have a 2nd gear after 1000 miles if I continue use crap. It grinded a few times and failed to go to 2nd 3 times. Oh, did i mention that this has never happened with mobil 1. The engine noise is about the same and the engine seems to feel a little hotter (outside temp 74 deg) but, I have no way confirming that. I going to give amsoil another 100 miles. If the shifting doesn't get any better, I'm dumping that sucker out and going back to mobil 1.
I have used Amsoil in a lot of things for a lot of years and always had good results. Over 200K miles on a 78 Suzuki 1000 without anything more than regular maintainance. And it had a high performance kit in it with headers and racing carbs. I have found most of the problems people have with it is choosing the wrong oil for the job.

In your case it was going to the 20W50. Too heavy for the conditions (74 deg) and normal riding on these bikes. The heavier synthetic in cool temps is going to run significantly thicker than your Mobil 10W40. You would think that would be a good thing, but it is not. In a Harley and alot of other V twins, yes, but not in our 9's. Our 9's are built more like a sport bike on the inside too. They don't need the heavier wieght oils unless you're in 100 deg riding weather and riding it hard like drag racing. The heavier oil causes more drag on the clutch which is part of our shifting problem to begin with. I've found that many of the riders that have shifting complaints have too much free play in the clutch leaver and that allows the clutch to drag (not fully disengage). A heavier oil will indeed also run hotter. It takes more work to pump it and it doesn't disperse heat as well.

I erge you to give Amsoil another try. Use the 10W40 and make sure your clutch is properly adjusted so there is minimal free play in the leaver. It will shift better and run better. Also make sure to use an oil filter designed for use with synthetic oil. It filters finer and allows for proper flow through the filter. Amsoil sells their own and they come in chrome, but Purolator and Wix make good "depth" type filters too.

And Castrol does make synthetic motorcycle oil. It is good stuff too.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks pegasus. if the shifting still sucks i'll try the amsoil 10w40. people that have tried amsoil seem to like it so it's gotta be good. must be the 20w50 at 74 degrees, make perfectly good sense. Brilliant!!! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
547 Posts
thanks pegasus. if the shifting still sucks i'll try the amsoil 10w40. people that have tried amsoil seem to like it so it's gotta be good. must be the 20w50 at 74 degrees, make perfectly good sense. Brilliant!!! :bigthumbsup:
Let us know the results if you change please. I switched to Mobil 1 20w/50 a couple of months back and I also notice a little more problems with the clutch. Not terrible mind you but definalty more. I was thinking of going back to the suzuki oil but will give Amsoil a try if it works out for you with the 10w/40 switch.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I have used Amsoil in a lot of things for a lot of years and always had good results. Over 200K miles on a 78 Suzuki 1000 without anything more than regular maintainance. And it had a high performance kit in it with headers and racing carbs. I have found most of the problems people have with it is choosing the wrong oil for the job.

In your case it was going to the 20W50. Too heavy for the conditions (74 deg) and normal riding on these bikes. The heavier synthetic in cool temps is going to run significantly thicker than your Mobil 10W40. You would think that would be a good thing, but it is not. In a Harley and alot of other V twins, yes, but not in our 9's. Our 9's are built more like a sport bike on the inside too. They don't need the heavier wieght oils unless you're in 100 deg riding weather and riding it hard like drag racing. The heavier oil causes more drag on the clutch which is part of our shifting problem to begin with. I've found that many of the riders that have shifting complaints have too much free play in the clutch leaver and that allows the clutch to drag (not fully disengage). A heavier oil will indeed also run hotter. It takes more work to pump it and it doesn't disperse heat as well.

I erge you to give Amsoil another try. Use the 10W40 and make sure your clutch is properly adjusted so there is minimal free play in the leaver. It will shift better and run better. Also make sure to use an oil filter designed for use with synthetic oil. It filters finer and allows for proper flow through the filter. Amsoil sells their own and they come in chrome, but Purolator and Wix make good "depth" type filters too.

And Castrol does make synthetic motorcycle oil. It is good stuff too.
:agree:
keep us posted how it ppans out for you

G

·
just a thought,,, i wonder if 0-40 would be better for oiling our clutches,,,
I was running the 0W40 at first and just switched to the 10W40. It was running fine with the 0W40 but I felt it would be better for the bevel drive to have a 10W40, being as it is lubricated by the engine oil. Bevel gears in most cases are lubricated by hypoid gear oil like the differential. The 10W40 has a higher film strength when cold and should be better long term for the bevel gears. JMHO.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I've ben using Mobile 1 20w-50w for the past 2yrs but haven't really noticed any perceptable difference in the engine noise, as far as shifting 1st-2nd it may be a little better definitely if I shift by 3000rpm. I can't find Amsoil locally but I would give it a try after reading more positive posts than negative.

G

·
I've ben using Mobile 1 20w-50w for the past 2yrs but haven't really noticed any perceptable difference in the engine noise, as far as shifting 1st-2nd it may be a little better definitely if I shift by 3000rpm. I can't find Amsoil locally but I would give it a try after reading more positive posts than negative.
Look in your Yellow Pages under lubrication, or PM Oil Doc on this forum and he'll give you a discount and ship it to ya. Or go to Amsoil.com and use the Dealer locater.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I haven't seen any Amsoil dealers here in Oz yet. That's what I was using at home. I switched over to Fuch's Silkolene 10W40. No issues yet. I've only put on probably 200 KM's.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I ran the 20-50 once and found shifting to be harder. I am now running the Amsoil 10-40 and love it.
:agree:Ive been running Amsoil since 600 miles (now at 22k) last week when I first rode away from the dealer. It felt like butter and I know you all like butter!

But I am going to do my own change for the first time,next time and I think I am going to try Mobile 1 and test your theory! maybe it truly is

Magic Motor Mojo

1 - 20 of 34 Posts