M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a group of us are sitting in the first clas for my politcal science course that deals with society and tochnological advances in engineering and the instructor just blurts out by far the dumbest thing i have ever heard and i nearly pissed my self because i was laughing so hard. He starts off by saying how much he loves Al Gore and the idea of GLOBAL WARMING <what a joke> then continues asking what are some major contributers. The usuals come up people, industry, cars, etc... then he says that in his opinion motorcycles are the dumbest and single most eco-unfriendly things out there. Because we use high octane fuel and drive miles and miles very fast and wreckless we are killing the planet. RIGHT. I then stood up to leave about 20 minutes into a 1:50 class when he stopped me and asked where i was going. I said back to the space ship cause whatever planet this class is on im out of here. I asked what car he drives and he said the new chevy volt or whatever and his wife drives a ford escape but only runs ethanol. so i continued to inform him that it takes more energy to produce this ethonal that his wife burns and it takes 1.5 gallons of that to get the same mileage as 1 gallon of my dirty gasoline. Then before he could answer i continued by saying that his electric car that cost 45,000 has batteries made in korea in it because the sh_t that goes in them are just plain dangerous. The class just sat and watched as 4 of us all of whom ride bikes got up and left. This is a political theory based course so as expected he followed us out and told each of us that we SHOULD expect to get an A in his class becuase he likes our style and respects our views.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
285 Posts
I am glad he came out and got you back into the class. You shouldnt have to pay and lose the class just because you are informed. Thanks for sticking up for us.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Very Good post Brandon! im Glad you reacted and had your facts at the Ready , I dont know how many other students where in that class ,but far too many people just sit back and swallow the global warming sheep dip
:congrats:

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Great for standing up and saying what you said, BUT Perhaps this guy says it best! But he has hard time expressing himself, and I'm not responsable for his views or how he explains it! But I don't believe he left any grey areas! So thats my discloure, and i'm sticking to it! But I do enjoy his views!

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
So a group of us are sitting in the first clas for my politcal science course that deals with society and tochnological advances in engineering and the instructor just blurts out by far the dumbest thing i have ever heard and i nearly pissed my self because i was laughing so hard. He starts off by saying how much he loves Al Gore and the idea of GLOBAL WARMING <what a joke> then continues asking what are some major contributers. The usuals come up people, industry, cars, etc... then he says that in his opinion motorcycles are the dumbest and single most eco-unfriendly things out there. Because we use high octane fuel and drive miles and miles very fast and wreckless we are killing the planet. RIGHT. I then stood up to leave about 20 minutes into a 1:50 class when he stopped me and asked where i was going. I said back to the space ship cause whatever planet this class is on im out of here. I asked what car he drives and he said the new chevy volt or whatever and his wife drives a ford escape but only runs ethanol. so i continued to inform him that it takes more energy to produce this ethonal that his wife burns and it takes 1.5 gallons of that to get the same mileage as 1 gallon of my dirty gasoline. Then before he could answer i continued by saying that his electric car that cost 45,000 has batteries made in korea in it because the sh_t that goes in them are just plain dangerous. The class just sat and watched as 4 of us all of whom ride bikes got up and left. This is a political theory based course so as expected he followed us out and told each of us that we SHOULD expect to get an A in his class becuase he likes our style and respects our views.:bigthumbsup:
That's very interesting he would of phrased it that way...;) That in itself means it isn't true, but a philosophy. If he said it that way, then it proves that this is just a way of controlling your life and that is the context in which he believes it.:-\ Good job calling him out.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Great for standing up and saying what you said, BUT Perhaps this guy says it best! But he has hard time expressing himself, and I'm not responsable for his views or how he explains it! But I don't believe he left any grey areas! So thats my discloure, and i'm sticking to it! But I do enjoy his views!

I must say right to the point.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Wow, I can't believe the professor swallowed his pride and said he will give you an A. Perhaps he was trying to light a fire with his imflammatory comments and didn't really believe all crap he was spewing. :bigthumbsup:

Either way you did pretty much the exact thing that I would have done, I might not have walked out (depends on how pompous the guy was) but I would argue the same points you did till I was blue in the face.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts

The guy from Boston for President! Been a while since I've seen him.:D:doorag:

BTW...Did you know that the little weather box in your sig line says..."Weather Underground":eek: ? What is the box?:dontknow:

·
Registered
643 Posts
Wow, I can't believe the professor swallowed his pride and said he will give you an A. Perhaps he was trying to light a fire with his imflammatory comments and didn't really believe all crap he was spewing. :bigthumbsup:
I'm willing to bet this is exactly what he was doing. Political science and philosophy teachers, etc. do this often for a few reasons. It keeps the class attentive, gets students to interact and voice their own thoughts rather than just sit like zombies and listen to him ramble on.

Did any of the guys that ride bikes have any gear with them by chance? He may have noticed this and saw an opportunity..... I had one teacher in particular than was very keen on picking up details about people in our class and could bait people into debates. Sometimes it got heated, but it kept most of us involved. The more I think about it, I'm think he probably had you guys targeted for the day. How can any rational person even hypothesize that a motorcycle (even a HD) is more un-"ecofriendly" than a soccer mom running errands all day in an 8 pax SUV. Your teacher should focus his energy on finding a way to make China and India become eco-friendly, because for every one person that cares about the earth in the US, there are close to 9 people in those countries combined who don't really give a f*ck about oil usage or recycling and are negating any positive done by those who care.

Then again, he could just be a libtard as well. :dontknow: If that's the case, you should point out to him that if he truly cared about the earth and being eco-friendly, that he and his wife would be riding bicycles made out of completely recycled parts, that required no chain oil. Hopefully he has purchased some kind of aftermarket tire that never disinegrates, because then he is leaving rubber deposits on the earths surface which are also disruptive to the eco-system.

No matter who is arguing a point, someone is always leaving themseves exposed for a counter "assault" (I'm sure I just did). Be sure to take advantage next time and point out his hypocracy.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Thanks for the video Torq.The truth hurts and some times makes you peeeee yourself.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I would have called him out for saying he drove a Chevy Volt when the car hasnt even been released yet

·
Registered
813 Posts
I would have called him out for saying he drove a Chevy Volt when the car hasnt even been released yet
Awww...beat me to it! I work for GM and KNOW that to be a fact...so you might pull him aside and tell him he is a liar (if you dare) because they are not out yet...well, for the general public anyhow. there are some on the road with engineers and our top execs (to show the flag, so to speak) but they haven't sold any yet, to the best of my knowledge.

That's not supposed to happen until later this year or early next.

And you might ask your 'god-like' prof what the single biggest 'greenhouse' gas is (hint - water vapor :bigthumbsup:) and what percentage of our atmosphere is actually CO2. It is an order of magnitude or more (fractionally), CO2 is such a small part of our atmoshphere (and its increase is even more infinitesimal that any change man has made to the CO2 number would have an equally small impact on the 'heat-retaining' abilities it would have on global warming.
Here's a little info to rebut him with, should you care:

Nitrogen (N2) 78.08%

Oxygen (O2) 20.95%

Argon (Ar) 0.93%

Neon, Helium, Krypton 0.0001%
Carbon dioxide (CO2) 0.038%
Water vapor (H20) 0-4%
Methane (CH4) trace
Sulfur dioxide (SO2) trace
Ozone (O3) trace
Nitrogen oxides (NO, NO2, N2O) trace

I should have warned you about getting me started on this subject! It hacks me off because it is a corrupt wealth redistribution plan (from you and me to the likes of Al Gore!!!) :cus: :cus:

·
Registered
1,176 Posts

Either way you did pretty much the exact thing that I would have done, I might not have walked out (depends on how pompous the guy was) but I would argue the same points you did till I was blue in the face.
He figured the class would have sucked w/o those guys, and he would have has to finish with rest of the pansies left in the class:D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wasnt expecting to get such a large response but im impressed.
the class is a requirement for my electrical engineering degree but i have better things to worry about such as my FOE exams and getting a job lined up so ill do my best in the class and stay politically informed and always challenge his ideas if i dont agree.

I think this somes up my theory:
"Learn to disagree without being disagreeable....and....Don't turn political differences into personal differences" Former Speaker of the House
Sam Rayburn

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
you know what they say.......

those that CAN, do
those who CAN'T, teach
:agree:It's like Sales managers can't sell, thats why there Managers! Because those who can sell, would loose money in that position!

·
Banned
1,218 Posts

:a20::a20::a20:

That was great:bigthumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts