M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some background ::)
I am compulsive about learning all I can about something (motorcycling in this case)
before I start something new. I have read ALL there is online and in Mags about safety
and foolish mistakes that lead to personal or bike harm. I then devise small rituals/systems
to help me avoid those same pitfalls (yes I am insane but you can barely tell ususally)
I have read a thousand reasons why someone would just drop their Bike.... And every time
I ride I think things like... (how could someone EVER forget their kickstand?) :dontknow:

The Garage
I live in an apt and my garage is about 50yds away.
Yesterday we had a big BBQ about 30 people. at the end of the night
I shuffled all of the stuff back to the garage....
there is a small hill leading UP into the garage so when I have to move
the bike in a left-right direction I have to back it out and drive it
back in (who wants to push this uphill) OR... move it back and forth while moving
over (being sure the rear wheel does not go off the lip...)

I hate myself! :swear: :realmad: :cus: :edit:
Here I am in shorts, T-shirt and slip on sneakers.
So I have just shuffled the bike to the left to put the table away...
Now I am shuffling the bike to the right to put the chairs away.
My "system" {see above} is tied to the bike running and the process of shutting it down.
I have the key in my pocket and less than 2 beers in me over 8hrs.

I FORGOT TO PUT THE KICKSTAND DOWN...... :yikes: :swear: :yikes: :cus: :yikes: :swear:

As I glance down to see it settle nicely on the kickstand I realize too late
that it is not down... :edit: :mad: :(
I was smart enough to not let my leg get caught, but my arm and head did hit the potting bench.
30 minutes of ice took most of the swelling out of my arm

The garage is not well lit. I did see the shifter bent and a white mark where my right leg hit
the rear fender... both mirrors are out of whack, not sure if they are actually bent.
I DONT believe the marker lights were harmed.

Did I mention I hate myself? :realmad: :realmad: I am walikg out there soon to see the real damage.

·
Registered
849 Posts
You aren't first to make this particular mental error, and you won't be the last. I'm glad you weren't seriously hurt and I hope the bike is easily repaired.
Jer

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
If you got a couple of days I'll sit down and tell you all the stupid stuff like that I've done. :redfaced: Hope the damage wasn't oo bad. :confused:

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you own enough bikes and ride long enough you will probably drop one sitting still of all times.

My 4th and current bike, the CBR600RR has met this fate. I went to work one morning on it and I kicked the kick stand down without visually checking that it went all the way down (afterall, I heard it snap into place). Next thing I know my bike is falling over and I can't do anything about it but fall backwards to keep my legs from getting caught under the falling bike. Of course there was a woman sitting on the bench outside smoking who saw the whole thing :confused:

Turns out that the sound I thought I heard of kickstand going into place was actually it coming back up. I've never made that mistake again.

G

·
sledzep01 said:
I am compulsive about learning all I can about something (motorcycling in this case)
before I start something new. I have read ALL there is online and in Mags about safety
and foolish mistakes that lead to personal or bike harm. I then devise small rituals/systems
to help me avoid those same pitfalls (yes I am insane but you can barely tell ususally)
I have read a thousand reasons why someone would just drop their Bike.... And every time
I ride I think things like... (how could someone EVER forget their kickstand?) :dontknow:

The Garage
back in (who wants to push this uphill) OR... move it back and forth while moving

My "system" {see above} is tied to the bike running and the process of shutting it down.

I FORGOT TO PUT THE KICKSTAND DOWN...... :yikes: :swear: :yikes: :cus: :yikes: :swear:

I was smart enough to not let my leg get caught, but my arm and head did hit the potting bench.

The garage is not well lit. I did see the shifter bent and a white mark where my right leg hit
the rear fender... both mirrors are out of whack, not sure if they are actually bent.

Did I mention I hate myself? :realmad: :realmad: I am walikg out there soon to see the real damage.
I agree with the monster no fwiggin matter how hard u try its gonna happen once in a blue blue moon and I have been ridin over 40 years and could tell you the basic same story rub it talk to it and keep on ridin just a littel mo experiance now, ,hd2plze.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK here is the report
Left front signal broken
shifter modified
Everything else buffed out... I Debadged it while I was busy...

All in all I was very lucky....
Now to go repair/wash/wax

·
Registered
152 Posts
Mine fell over too.
Stupid me, I was in the house.
Seems I twisted the handlebars which pulled the bike a little forward.
Kickstand moved back a bit and later fell over.
Broke front left rear turn signal and clutch lever tip broke off.
I've also laid it down a couple of times losing my footing in sand.
Guess 50 years of riding just ain't enough.
Oh, I ride every day and have 2500 on my 109.

·
Registered
525 Posts
sledzep01 said:

The Garage

Did I mention I hate myself? :realmad: :realmad: I am walikg out there soon to see the real damage.
At least you got it over with. I feel bad for you , but at the same time I laughed. Mostly because it reminded me of a few bone-headed mistakes I have made myself.

·
Registered
936 Posts
don't feel bad, i had nothing to drink and forgot with my vtx 1300 and we both layed down right on the floor in the garage.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well she still runs strong!
After making the temp repairs to the light and "re-adjusting" the shift lever I debadged her and gave her a good wash and wax.
We are friends again :)
I have been wanting to find the time to debadge her but every time I thought I would, I took a ride instead.
It looks great now.

PS The bruise on my arm is the same color Burple as my bike!

Sledzep

·
Registered
13 Posts
At the traffic lights the other day I had to help a goldwing rider pick his bike up (actually 5 of us had to help him)
He just came to a stop and forgot to put his leg out... till it was too late

And if that's not bad enough when I first started riding I had to roll start a bike and as it started I just fell off and it hit my old mans car and I ran for the hills

We all did it... do it at some stage.

Don't hate yourself mate...your got friends to do that LOL

Cheers

·
Registered
135 Posts
Sounds like a project for Lamonster. Design an audible signal to let us know that the kickstand is in the proper position before laying her to the side. Look on the bright side, you or the bike were not seriously damaged

·
Registered
817 Posts
You're lucky you got your leg out of the way at least.

I did this last summer in a hotel parking lot -- 1500 miles away from home -- and "stopped" it from falling over completely with my left knee. It hurt so bad, it took me nearly 5 days to get home. I had to ice the knee several times during the day. I thought it was just a bad sprain, but after a hospital visit I discovered I had torn the PCL.

I don't recommend touring for 5 days with a torn PCL. A new adventure in pain for sure. I still can't bend it fully and probably never will.

The one good thing is that once you do this, you'll probably never do it again. I am obsessive about getting the stand down now.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think most people feel your pain.

I know I've dropped a bike at least 4 times that I can remember.

1999 Yamaha R1. Friggin blew over at an ATM machine at the beach in some STIFF wind.

2001 GSXR1000, Forgot the kickstand while removing the from the rear stand. :( Decent amount of damage to multiple bikes on that one.

2001 GSXR100, Bike Night in front of hundreds of people. No kickstand. Wow, that was embarassing. Horribly embarassing and hard to contain anger, had to try and laugh it off while inside I wanted to kill someone. LOL

2004 CBR 600, Gravel Driveway. Need I say more?

Don't beat yourself up. I bet 95% of all bike owners have done this more than once.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Well like you said, lesson learned albeit an expensive one, I'm sure that bike won't sit and idle anymore without you on it!! :redfaced:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Lamonster said:
If you got a couple of days I'll sit down and tell you all the stupid stuff like that I've done. :redfaced: Hope the damage wasn't oo bad. :confused:
Imagine having that happen with your Boss Hoss? It might go right through the garage floor!! LOL

·
Registered
752 Posts
Had a buddy with a brand new ZX11 drop it on the first night of a 9 day trip. He was tired and got off and walked away. He looks at it and says "It was brand new and going to get wrecked somehow. At least it happened with me off the bike."

A year later the same guy was backing up his new Valkrye and his rotor lock caught and he dropped it and said the same thing.

He makes a good point. At least you are just bruised and your tank isn't dented.

Hope you heal fast!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I was lucky as hell...I was sitting on the bike and my nieghbor caught it as I forgot to put the stand down...he said he did it out of reaction...grabing it
on the left side....wew was it heavy , but kept it from hitting anything.

·
Registered
464 Posts
If were telling stories here a good one, last summer we went to a bike cruise with a few friends I was sent back to the tent to get sweat shirts for the girls who where enjoying a live band. I parked next to the tent and when I went leave I fell over into the tent the bike land on my leg and pinned me on top of our tent. couple of guys from some other camps hand lift the bike off of me, no damage to the bike the tent poles where history. And this happened with quite a few pther people around to witness it. I couldn't get out of there fast enough.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I got off very easy then. Only ,y wife saw it happen... I do have a 9 inch bruise the color of my bike down my forearm though!

Thanks for all the kind words. I am already past it and onto bigger and better things

Sledzep

1 - 20 of 24 Posts