M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally bit the bullet and got new tires, well over due. The rear was just starting to show cord and the front was down past the wear bars. I got 12600 miles out of the stock tires. Not bad.
After a lot of research and back and forth in my mind, I decided on staying with a matched set and went with the Metzeler XXL 160/60 out front and the 260/40 in the rear. Wow, that front tire is fat! The rear actually looks narrower than my buddy's Dulop E3 250 because it's rounder.
I did not go with the Dyna beads because the guy that mounts tires hates the mess they make, so I just did the stick on weights.
The ride home after mounting the new tires was interesting. They were real slick at first. Neighbors must have thought I lost my mind because I was going down the road weaving from side to side.
Today I did a short 130 mile run. Feels good! :bigthumbsup:
On the seams in the road I can feel the front more than I used to but the rear felt better.
Running over the raised lane markers (reflectors) I used to really feel them with the front tire, now with that 160/60 with the taller sidewall it seems to absorb them better.
The bike is real stable all the way up to 137 MPH :p
The rear "locks up" more when I down shift now verses the stock tire.
It seems to "track" better and is more stable in the long sweepers.
Only scraped peg a few times.
Over all, I like the new tires a lot so far. Tomorrow I'm gonna run through some tight twisties and give them a real test :drool: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Dyna Beads make a mess?:dontknow:

New tires are always nice tho. Sounds like you got your monies worth out of your old ones/

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Hi Terry,

How did the rear tire look compare with the stock tire? Did it look much wider?? thx

Alex
The 260 looks closer to the stock width.The 250e3 looks much wider.I have the 250e3 rear and the Metz.160 front.The only thing i noticed was at very slow speed it's harder to turn the bars.From the more sticky compound.But over all this tire combo.is by far better then stock.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 260 looks closer to the stock width.The 250e3 looks much wider.I have the 250e3 rear and the Metz.160 front.The only thing i noticed was at very slow speed it's harder to turn the bars.From the more sticky compound.But over all this tire combo.is by far better then stock.
Hey Alex,
Yea, TopGun is right, the 260 does not look much wider than the stock 240. The E3 250 is definitely wider.
I'm relly happy with the Metz 160/260 combo. Handles great :bigthumbsup:
Terry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts