M109 Riders banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
OP, please don't take my assertions/opinions personally, as you did ask members to let you know what we think. My honest opinion is...any type, size, or length of Ape Hanger Handle Bars on an M109R is a huge mistake (esthetically). I think they completely compromise the lines and overall look of the bike, because they give the appearance of being totally out of place, and inconsistent with the flow of the bike. I strongly believe Suzuki got it perfect with the Drag Style Handle Bars they selected for the M109R, as they are very consistent with the muscle cruiser concept. I can see adding aftermarket Risers (longer or shorter than stock), Riser Adapters, or a modified version of a set of Drag Style Handle Bars sitting relatively low and sleek as they flow back toward the rider. But, Ape Hanger style Handle Bars simply spoil the look of the M109R for me. If you don't mind me asking, what was your reasoning, rationale, or purpose for adding Ape Hangers to your M109R? Was it just to be different, or was it because you're extremely tall, and you needed the extended reach? There's been a hand full of members here who have added Ape Hangers to their M109Rs, but I've never understood why they chose that route.

·
Radio Active Member
22,543 Posts
I kind of agree with JUDAH-9, don't care for the apes. If they make the bike more functional for you, that's great. But aesthetically they just don't do it for me. I do like the swingarm bag and have been thinking of adding one to mine. Having a place to store a few small things would enhance the riding experience for me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JUDAH

JUDAH,

Thank you for the feedback. Part of my reasoning for adding the apes was for two purposes. I wanted my m109r to have a look that most 9ers dont have and second is because I am very short (5'8) with very short arms and I found myself leaning over to ride with the stock risers which really gave me back pain on longer rides. With the handle bars now being higher it allows me to sit up straight for a more comfortable ride. As far as maneuvering? It handles great. Also dont worry I am not butt hurt by any opinion that does not match mine. I think that is the purpose of these forums to share info. So its all good. Safe riding bro.

OP, please don't take my assertions/opinions personally, as you did ask members to let you know what we think. My honest opinion is...any type, size, or length of Ape Hanger Handle Bars on an M109R is a huge mistake (esthetically). I think they completely compromise the lines and overall look of the bike, because they give the appearance of being totally out of place, and inconsistent with the flow of the bike. I strongly believe Suzuki got it perfect with the Drag Style Handle Bars they selected for the M109R, as they are very consistent with the muscle cruiser concept. I can see adding aftermarket Risers (longer or shorter than stock), Riser Adapters, or a modified version of a set of Drag Style Handle Bars sitting relatively low and sleek as they flow back toward the rider. But, Ape Hanger style Handle Bars simply spoil the look of the M109R for me. If you don't mind me asking, what was your reasoning, rationale, or purpose for adding Ape Hangers to your M109R? Was it just to be different, or was it because you're extremely tall, and you needed the extended reach? There's been a hand full of members here who have added Ape Hangers to their M109Rs, but I've never understood why they chose that route.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jobbyjim,

To be honest I feel that the bike handles great. I am a very short guy about 5'8 with very short arms so the apes allow me to sit up straight while riding which in turn does not effect my upper back during longer trips.

First tell me how it handles with the Apes, then I'll tell you if I **** it.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
JUDAH,

Thank you for the feedback. Part of my reasoning for adding the apes was for two purposes. I wanted my m109r to have a look that most 9ers don't have and second is because I am very short (5'8) with very short arms and I found myself leaning over to ride with the stock risers which really gave me back pain on longer rides. With the handle bars now being higher it allows me to sit up straight for a more comfortable ride. As far as maneuvering? It handles great. Also don't worry I am not butt hurt by any opinion that does not match mine. I think that is the purpose of these forums to share info. So its all good. Safe riding bro.
Thanks for you mature response Bro, and for understanding I was not taking jabs at you. I did learn something from you as a result of this. I did not know that Ape Hangers on an M109R would provide better riding comfort. You could have added +2" or +3" aftermarket Risers, or Riser Adapters to push your handle bars back closer to you, which also would've made you sit more upright. However, I also realize and respect the fact that you wanted a different look.

By the way, welcome to the "VCC"...Vertically Challenged Club. I'm right around 5ft. 7in. tall myself. :D 8) :D I actually love my slight lean forward, when riding my 9s, because when I'm hauling butt at high speeds (90+ mph), I don't feel as if I'm being pulled off the bike, due to head winds/wind resistance. I have three M109Rs, and each of them is equipped with Stock Handle Bars, and Stock Risers. I love the look, riding position, and comfort they provide. In fact, after I finish this response to you, I'm going to jump on one of them, and go out for a short jaunt, because the weather here in Texas is absolutely beautiful today...and for the remainder of the week.

Blessings Be Upon You, My Brother. :bigthumbsup: :a18: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
461 Posts
I don’t mind the look at all, only because I ride with a lot of bikers who
have apes on their bikes! Either way is ok.
I believe it was HyperPete who put mini ape s on his 9
it looked looked good and I was really susprised!
” One would not think it was his bike “ It was funny
to me. A lot of bikes at the beach where I’m at , this one guy
has a little bobber sits an inch off the ground has a Kawasaki 900 engine
on it . It’s not only loud it’s so fast , and he is a big guy !!
You have a good day .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts