M109 Rider Forums banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
So excited to be picking her up today.. I will use this thread to post my initial thoughts and review as well as any mods I may undertake..

So far my plans are limited to:
  • backrest (have 2 on order from Amazon - 1 with rack and 1 without - and will see which works best
  • saddle bags - thinking of Viking or Matuzaka (sp) that i see on Ebay
  • maybe new grips
  • maybe a windshield.. i see the Vstream which looks nice but on the pricey side.. not sure yet if needed

Potential plans:
- I possibly may look to drill out the baffles although i have had loud bikes recently (a Honda Fury with Cobra swepts and modified baffles and a Mean Streak with V/H) so want to live on the quieter side of the street for a bit.
I have read some that commented that they loved the sound after drilling the baffles on the 9 but i may hold off for awhile.. perhaps at the June meetup there may be a brother that has that done and i can hear it in person. I can tell you that when i drilled the baffles on the Fury i hated the sound, it actually sounded more like a motor-boat than a motorcycle which led me to buy proper pipes..hopefully its better on the 9.
  • ECU - not sure if this is needed.. i know it will if i mod the intake or install a spike as i did on my Fury.. im sure this bike is silly fast as it is, so if i did the ECU it would just be for drivability and not so much performance.
  • Intake - maybe - I did a spike filter on my Fury and liked that look (paired with spike grips and pegs).. perhaps later down the line. View attachment 420471 View attachment 420472
Congratulations on the new bike enjoy...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Update: got a chance to take her for a spin with the risers installed.. holy moly, 10x better than before in the comfort department.. this is how she should have come from the factory!
Very happy with this upgrade and no rubbing or issues with the clutch and throttle lines behind the triple tree. Also, with the clutch adjusted properly she's shifting great.
Next stop: PowerPro Black and Ducks Cover with K&N Filters that i'll be purchasing soon from some forum brothers.. will be able to reconnect that A-TRE and between that and the intake, im thinking she should be plenty powerful and smooth at cruising as well.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Update: I was noticing more wind noise and buffeting with the vstreat windshield even with a deflector mounted on it. Although it did help keep the wind off my torso and face the wind noise would get annoying; sorta like it got more concentrated around me. I removed both today and although it's windier on my torso and head, the wind is more even and it feels less noisy.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,526 Posts
Update: I was noticing more wind noise and buffeting with the vstreat windshield even with a deflector mounted on it. Although it did help keep the wind off my torso and face the wind noise would get annoying; sorta like it got more concentrated around me. I removed both today and although it's windier on my torso and head, the wind is more even and it feels less noisy.
That's why I took mine off. If you read the old threads on here about them, some of us tried to modify them by raising them, changing their angle, etc. Some got them to work and some didn't. At the best mine still created buffeting around my helmet, which made it noisy and also just plain hard to ride with your head being knocked around. I was more comfortable with the whole torso wind than having it focused on my head.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Thanks for that info Zoom. Yes I read alot on how to position it based on your feedback but yea was a no go for me and I'd rather have it off than have it negatively impact my experience. Plus more money for other things 😌

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Update: added the Cobra PowerPro Black (thanks Jonathan) and A-TRE as well as K&N filters. Rode over an hour and am very pleased with the results. I was already familiar with the A-TRE and its benefits but now with the PowerPro installed, the knocking on acceleration is gone and best of all, im not feeling any lean surging anymore under light cruising throttle. I'm not sure whether the ECU needs any more time to re-learn the changes introduced by the PowerPro but the power feels great nonetheless and rideability greatly improved. In the future i plan to do the Edelbrock intake mod so these K&N filters will await the day where they can suck all the cold air they desire. I also plan to hear some de-baffled stock exhausts hopefully at the June meetup and then if all good, plan to punch out the first 2 baffle plates... stay tuned

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,526 Posts
The ECU doesn't need to learn the PP black, all the control is in the PP. It works on the fly, no learning and no memory retention. Glad you liked the results from your changes. (y)(y)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
So I thought about a way to raise the windscreen to see if it could block the wind and more importantly the wind noise.. I came up with this.. it cut the wind in my face but sadly still had just as much wind noise.. so I removed again.. oh well I tried.
I think this bike is just windy.. perhaps one of those batwing fairings is the only solution?
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Sports equipment Motor vehicle
Plant Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

41 - 49 of 49 Posts