M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
spent most of my weekend working on my air intake. i dont have the pictures yet jamies 109r took some pictures for me and wiil post them for me later today. used two k& n filters # ra 072V . a 12 x 18 pice of sheet metal 16 gauge. used the stock chrome air cover and cut it back to even with were the stock mounting screws go through so i had a nice flat area to mount the sheet metal to . drilled holes in sheet metal to match up with the ones in the cut off chrome pice then drilled holes for the filter and thats about it . ill also used the pice i cut off the chrome cover as a template for cutting out the sheet metal that has replaced the chrome cover. if you want to sell the bike or what ever some day you just need to get the chrome cover and its back to stock. i have maybe around 120.00 buckes into this mod and it seems to be working great... and you need to plug the hole in back were the air used to come in also .

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i like to thank jamie 109R for helping me out with the pictures :bigthumbsup: as far as performance gain its like every one elese has said it seem to run smoother and the low end tourqe is more noticable . you can hear the motor breath now and that cant be a bad thing !! it was time consuming to do this mod but once you get every thing figured it all seems to come together .

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Dude that's one sweet looking intake. :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: Any chance we can get a step by step with photos showing each individual piece? I imagine there is a tight seal of the filter to the stock intake to make sure only filtered air gets in the motor, right? I think a lot of us would like to see how it actually mounts to the bike and how the filter actually mounts to the plate you made. Great job though. Would love to see some numbers too if possible.

·
Registered
844 Posts
What windshield is that -- with the mini-lowers? Looks nice, although you can't see the whole shield.

Great job on the intake mod. I too would like to see more of what you've actually done. That "sheet metal" looks awfully nicely finished at the edges (?) No offence, but your verbal description doesn't exactly describe what's involved -- I know it does for YOU, since you've been through it, but it's not so obvious to those of us who are trying to figure out what's invo;ved.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Medic1210 said:
Dude that's one sweet looking intake. :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: Any chance we can get a step by step with photos showing each individual piece? I imagine there is a tight seal of the filter to the stock intake to make sure only filtered air gets in the motor, right? I think a lot of us would like to see how it actually mounts to the bike and how the filter actually mounts to the plate you made. Great job though. Would love to see some numbers too if possible.
After taking these photos for erdy i took my own intake apart to get an understanding of what you would be dealing with. It takes two tools and about 5 minutes to take one apart. I think after that you get a good understanding and can come up with your own stuff. I'll try something this winter, i know a machinist and am thinking about carving out 109 Cubic Inch in the side of it. I just can't take the time to have it apart right now.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
J R in answer to youre question on the stock back plate all i did was take the stock filter out and plug the hole were the air used to come in on the back side of the plate. i then took the chrome cover off and cut it . you end up with a pice about an inch and a quater wide you basically cut off the oval shape to this piece so you have a nice flat square that you bolt the sheet metal to . it all goes back together just like it dose stock you use the same screws to put it back together except on the front you need to use half inch screws. if you have had you air box apart you will see what im talking about you use the same five holes to bolt the sheet metal piece to the stock box. make sure you cut the sheet metal piece first to fit the inch and a quater piece of what is left of the chrome cover then lay the sheet metal down and set the piece of the chrome cover on top of it and line it up so every edge is flush and drill out the five holes the same ones that are on the stock back plate when you are done it all bolts together like it always did . i used a can of chrome paint to paint the sheet metal and sealed up every thing with some clear silicone sealant . its hard to explain all of this but the best thing to do is pull of the air box and then take off the chrome cover and i think you see what im talking about .

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the wind shield is made by sportech modle # is 2302-0045 . im about 5-9 and the shield works great for me . i put the lowers on to see if it would help with the wind buffeting and they did so there staying on the bike!!

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
WOW that is cool. I am currently doing my intake and just ordered 2 K&N filters like those ovals, but mine are only 2 inches high insyead of 3.
My problem is execution. I doubt mine (Yes when done there will be pics) will ever win any awards. I will take pics from far away so it will almost look good. Unlike all trhe others I have seen which ROCK

Sledzep

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Great work erdy!

How about some pics close up where the sheet metal mounts to the existing chrome cover. I'd like to see how you did that?

Let us know about performance differences when you get a chance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts