M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
19.5k on the tach. I was riding solo in hot weather (about 102) and about 30 miles into my ride she started missing. At first it seemed only under load, and I could decrease RPM and she would run better, but as the ride went on even at lower RPM she was missing pretty bad. Odd thing is, I would stop for a while and she would run "OK" for about 10 minutes then would start in again. So at this point I'm thinking, hmm, could be heat related? But no FI indication, coolant level's fine, and I know fan is working.

I limped her home and got the fuel filter I've had sitting in my cabinet for about six months. I figure what the hell, it's probably time to change it anyway. Again, thanks to the board, I knew to be GENTLE when putting it on (the old one snapped right off where the plastic connects to the filter)...so about an hour from start to finish I had the tank back on and ready to test. Oh and yes, my old filter was BLACK, and it felt like a small brick.

I've since been out in equally hot weather and all is well. So the symptoms can be a little strange...if you think she'll just run bad ALL the time w/ the clogged filter it may not. It was a little spuradic for me anyway, at least at first.

G

·
Yeah...they do get disgusting. I changed mine out at about 15K. I had no symptoms, but didn't want to wait around for it to start choking on itself. With my luck I would have been 100 miles from nowhere when it happened. The filter looked like it had been packed with coal dust. makes you wonder what filthy crap it's not catching...

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've got 28,000 on mine and I'm getting ready to replace mine for the second time. It just started when I roll it on she falls on her face. And they raised the price of the filters. $48.00

G

·
I've got 28,000 on mine and I'm getting ready to replace mine for the second time. It just started when I roll it on she falls on her face. And they raised the price of the filters. $48.00
Yeah...that price is absurd. There's maybe twelve cents worth of materials in that thing. I'm surprised that some of the more creative guys on this site haven't fashioned their own already.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Yeah...that price is absurd. There's maybe twelve cents worth of materials in that thing. I'm surprised that some of the more creative guys on this site haven't fashioned their own already.
I actually looked trhough all the fuel strainers in AutoZone and CarQuest, every box, every picture, just looking for a useable alternative. Unfortunately, the ones that looked close, or would attach had the wrong bend in the elbow or went longways instead of lengthways.

-Josh

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Has anyone ever figured out why these things need replacement so often? My car has 220K miles on it and it's never had a filter change, and I buy my gas at the same stations for both my car and my bike. Makes no sense.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,861 Posts
Has anyone ever figured out why these things need replacement so often? My car has 220K miles on it and it's never had a filter change, and I buy my gas at the same stations for both my car and my bike. Makes no sense.
I think it's the size of them. If you look at the amount of filter area they have, it's small compared to a filter on a fuel injected car. I was surprised when I bought mine how little it was. If it's already dirty, just a single bad tank of gas would finish it off.

I changed mine at 18,000 miles and it still didn't look too bad. I cleaned it out and am going to keep it for a spare.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I actually looked trhough all the fuel strainers in AutoZone and CarQuest, every box, every picture, just looking for a useable alternative. Unfortunately, the ones that looked close, or would attach had the wrong bend in the elbow or went longways instead of lengthways.

-Josh
Hey, I found your thread AFTER I did the exact same thing you did. I went to O'Reillys, Advance Auto, and Autozone and we looked through all of their Airtex fuel filters. Found the same thing you did regarding the placement of the elbow. The rep at O'Reilly's actually called the manufacturer for me to see if they had a filter with an elbow that bent toward the side instead of straight up or down the length of the filter. They didn't have anything so I'm still looking/experimenting. I'm thinking about giving Airtex a call and see if they can modify one of their filters and start selling it as an aftermarket alternative. It would require very little effort on their part and would open a whole new market for them (Suzuki dealerships and owners). In the meantime I'm still trying to come up with something. I've been running without a filter for a couple of days. Until I can get a new filter attached, I took some vinyl door screen and zip-tied it around the inlet and the rubber tube just to keep anything larger out of the pump. Since the pump inlet sits higher than your filter normally does, I have to refuel as soon as the "low fuel" light starts blinking - can't wait. If I find a good alternative filter, I'll let you know.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Just in case the vinyl doesnt soften over time and go into fuel lines... toss a bit in a small bottle of fuel and keep an eye on it to see it doesnt soften? Keep bottle of vinyl/fuel as long as tank still has vinyl in it. Over long periods some vinyls turn to gel with hydrocarbon fuel contact.

Some of the insect screens are actually fibreglass but look like vinyl or have a vinyl outer coat...

-Anthony

·
Registered
264 Posts
Good idea. This is just temporary though. Tiny impurities will still get through the screen even though I folded it over and doubled it before I zip-tied it. I just hope I can find an alternate filter quickly before I have to pay for the damned expensive OEM one.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'm afraid you've got me lost on that one Slick 109r. A couple of days ago when I first pulled the filter out and the fuel was low in my tank, I noticed that it started coughing and skipping when I put on brakes at a light. That was because the fuel ran to the front of the tank and there wasn't enough to cover the pump inlet. After I came to a stop and the gas flowed back to the rear, it cleared up. I immediately pulled in at the next gas station. But there wasn't any kind of knocking like you are talking about.

·
Registered
561 Posts
It happens every time I'm on the bike now... I wonder if its running too rich? I upped the pots a little because the bike would surge at constant throttle.. and once I turned up the fuel a bit, the surging went away. Before I upped the fuel a bit, the bike would miss every now and then. Now that I adjusted the pots, the bike misses at least once every time I'm on it. :(

·
Registered
564 Posts
I asked the dealership to replace the filter when they took my tank off to be repainted. When I got the bike back I asked about it and he said that they didn't replace it because the bike doesn't have one. And they wonder why I refuse to say anything good about them!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts